Feature Request: Change Time Signature of Any Beat

I would love to see an option to change the time signature of any beat in any category. Wonder if that would be possible? Any thoughts from the community?

3 Likes

If you mean, for example, changing a 4/4 beat to a 3/4 beat but maintaining, the same feel, then, no, that is not possible. You could conceivably change the beats per measure without actually changing the beat, but to what end?

1 Like

I actually like this idea. Say you had a 4/4 beat with a certain feel that you liked but you only needed two measures of it. It would be cool if you could change the sig to 2/4 and retain that feel without having to get into editing the midi file.

2 Likes

Yeah that was my idea too. :+1:

1 Like

Just trying to understand here, why couldn’t you have the pattern for 2 measures? BB accepts that. Now, if you needed 3 2/4 measures, then you’d have an issue. I guess what @Robert1979 really needs, and it seems this is what you are alluding to as well, is just the ability to change the time signature of an existing song. BB picks that up from the midi file. Several of us have requested a feature that would allow time signature on a per song section basis instead of a per song basis. We have not seen much movement on that, although one of the betas worked that way on BB Manager virtual pedal. It didn’t work on the pedal. Setting time signature may, and I emphasize may, be possible via a firmware change, but who knows when we might see something like that. Still as a request for a feature, I can see its use. There have been complicated songs where I would want to be able to set the time signature as 1/4 to just avoid having partial measures. But, yes, currently since BB gets the time signature from the midi file, that involves editing the midi file in a DAW.

2 Likes

Ya, I haven’t worked it out, but I’m thinking of Bruce Hornsby’s version of Madman Across the Water. I can set Rock 1 to ~60 BPM and play along with a generic but functional beat, and pretty soon the beat gets flipped - snare on 1, kick on 3. And if I ignore it and keep on playing, after a while it’ll flip back. I’m not using this live, just for practicing the song, getting it up to speed.

1 Like