File architecture (more interesting than it sounds)

Continuing the discussion from Issues with BBM for Mac users:

After nearly despairing I finally managed to get BB manager working by uninstalling it and starting again. I followed the suggestion to put the BBWorkspace folder in my documents folder, but somewhere along the line I managed to get the following into my applications folder; DRUMSETS EFFECTS PARAMS and SONGS. Should I move these to the BBWorkspace folder, and if so into which subfolder(s)?
Supplementary question: I have seen advice on this forum to use an SD card reader rather than the BB pedal. So, if I get a card reader, do I use Import and Export or Synchronize Project - or does it not matter?

• Not knowing everything you have or have not done, I would recommend taking the safest route, which is to start over by
  • quitting the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM)
  • deleting the folders that showed up in your applications folder
  • deleting the bbworkspace folder within your documents folder
  • downloading, unzipping and copying the bbworkspace backup folder to your documents folder
  • (hopefully you have a copy of it still)
  • if the SD card works without problem on your BeatBuddy (BB), you can either place the SD card in your new Mac’s SD slot reader (I suspect your new Mac may not have one and if that’s the case, you’ll have to connect your pedal to your computer via the USB method)
  • when the SD card appears on your desktop or the Finder, open the BBM
  • use File - Open Project and navigate to your SD card and press Open
  • once the project opens you should be prompted to save your project to your computer;
  • accept the prompt and navigate to your documents/bbworkspace/user_lib/PROJECTS and select Open (or Save) and then accept the prompt for future synchronization
  • this should answer your first question

I’m assuming that you don’t have an external SD card reader and if so, it will make transferring data and updating firmware on your BB much quicker and easier. Because of the Mac to BB sync bug, you’re going to have to use the File - Export - Project to SD card to update your SD card (unless you never reboot your Mac or quit and then relaunch your BBM app). I’m sure Singular’s little elf is busy trying to squash this bug and release a working update.

Thank you. This seems to make sense, except for this bit;
**** downloading, unzipping and copying the bbworkspace backup folder to your documents folder***
I have never been invited to back up the bbworkspace folder, just the sd card, and in neither case have I been invited to zip it or upload it to somewhere I might later want to download it from? So, before I embark on all of this - am I missing something? Yes is the obvious answer of course, but I can’t carry out these instructions in my present state of ignorance.

Maybe this will help: Download and unzip bbworkspace backup from Download default BBWorkspace 2.1 backup folder

The BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) does not prompt users to back up their project; this is something a user has to do on their own. The bbworkspace backup folder is used to get users recover and get off on the right foot.