File structure for Beat Buddy files

I’m new to Beat Buddy. In getting it set up and learning how it works, I’m pretty sure I may have files that are not saved to the right places. It would help to know what files should end up where in the BBWorkspace folder in the document directory (Mac). It has a default Lib folder with Drum sets, Midi source, Projects, Songs, and wave source folders under it. It then has a User Lib witht he same five folders under it.
Can someone explain where I should be saving files…in the default Directory or the User?
ALSO, can someone explain how to properly save and link the Project file. I know there should only be one project in Beat Buddy and that there is a syncronization that must occur to properly link the Project file with the SD so it can be moved back and forth between the computer and BB.
I’ve watched video tutorials and they have helped me get to a point, but I don’t think I have it down correctly yet. Have had the BB for two days.
I’m older and even though I am computer literate, sometimes this stuff just confuses me.
Thanks for your help.

Two key takeaways for the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) file structure:

1. The BeatBuddy (BB) songs, folders, projects and drum sets are all managed by the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) and some users get into trouble by moving BB files around using their computer’s OS. Most important takeaway is to let the BBM manage the file structure.
  2. Although the SD card stores and uses one project, the BBM can hold several projects (but only 1 at a time can be open).

To address your questions, I’m enclosing a screen shot that shows where your project folder should be located:
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.24.39 AM
You may wonder “why are there so many instances of the default_lib and user_lib folders?” It sure makes things confusing, doesn’t it! This is a long-standing issue that the developers have been aware of. Over time, several layers of nested folders will begin to show up in the bbworkspace sub-folders. This seems to primarily affect users that frequently edit the drum sets.

Your project folders should be stored within this path: ⁨user_name ▸ ⁨Documents⁩ ▸ ⁨mybeatbuddy.com⁩ ▸ ⁨BBWorkspace⁩ ▸ ⁨user_lib⁩ ▸ ⁨projects
If you can’t find where the project that’s open in your BBM is stored, an easy way to find out is to click on the Project Explorer: your project name beneath the Virtual Machine and it will open the folder where your project is located; you can also hover over the name to display a tool tip for its location;

If you don’t think the BBM is saving your project to the right location, use the BBM > Tools > Set Workspace Location and navigate to the user_name ▸ ⁨Documents⁩ ▸ ⁨mybeatbuddy.com⁩ ▸ ⁨BBWorkspace⁩ ▸ ⁨user_lib⁩ ▸ ⁨projects and select Open (or okay)

Here’s steps for your other question:

• use the BBM > File > Save Project every time you make changes to your project
  • place your unlocked SD card in your computer SD slot reader
  • use the BBM > File > Export > Project to SD card
  • accept the prompt for future synchronization of the card to the bbworkspace
  • the expected behavior is for the Mac to always recognize synchronization but there is a major bug (one of many :hot_face:) that once you quit the BBM or restart your Mac, the BBM File > Synchronize Project menu entry will be grayed out. This means that Mac users have to use the Export to SD card process every time.
3 Likes

Thank you! Very helpful.

I have one more question…The midi editor…is there a way to lock in the width of each column in the editor? Every time I try to widen or shorten the width, it goes berserk and makes all the columns way oversized. There are some columns (the red ones) that have information in them but you cannot see what it is unless you widen the column.
I’ve tried using a couple of other midi editors but then have trouble getting the bb manager to recognize the files. I have protools and can use that editor but it is kind of a pain…at least at this point. Again, I’m just starting and this is a bigger learning curve than I expected. I like the BB so far and think it will work great once I get the songs into it the way I need them.

The BBM MIDI Editor was a separate app that was grafted onto the BBM. As you’ve mentioned, it goes nuts every time you try to adjust the column widths. Even if you could adjust it the way you like, I think it will lose those settings after quitting and relaunching the BBM.

Many users gave up and no longer use the built-in MIDI Editor as it is simply too cumbersome and is very inefficient for editing MIDI. I use it only to check for unsupported or malpositioned MIDI notes. I then use Logic Pro X to edit the MIDI.

Find and use the MIDI map files posted on the forum as a guide for aligning the drum notes in your DAW to the BBM.

If you’re still having problems seeing the content in the MIDI Editor fields, check your Mac’s display preferences. I have mine set to default and all the data is visible in the MIDI Editor.