First Impressions of beat buddy.

Ordered the beatbuddy on Dec 1st or so but only got it after Christmas. I haven’t had alot of tme to really work wwith the pedal but here are my initial thoughts. The concept of the pedal is great. Does what it is designed to do. I love the Latin beats. Very realistic. Wish there were more basic sounding beats in some of the styles. Maybe a basic country ballad with cross stick of even a waltz. Some of the beats seem to sit better then others. at least to my ears. Seems to depend on how the accents fall on the bass drum etc. I fiind some, not all, of the fills to be too busy. Good drummers don’t overplay and busy fills can be a distraction. Depending on the song of course and your own personal taste. Of course you can edit ths . Sometime when going to a B section when the beat switches to the ride cymbal if feels like the cymbal could be a touch louder or like something is missing. Probably wouldn’t be so noticeable with a bass player. Like to be able to navigate to anywhere on the pedal with a foot switch. Realize that the pedal has its limitations. I think the software is pretty good for a start and I have been able to load in beats from other sources with no problems. Over all this is a new and exciting concept that has great potential. It helps to have knowledge of drumming and music in general when you are using this. For example you don’t want to over do it with the accent hits. You have to think like a drummer. Thats what gives it the realistic feel. When you can place your fills and pause in the right spot like an actual drummer would do then it will sound musical. congratulations to the development team on a great product.

Nice to read you loved your BeatBuddy! The team (and me personally) expects the pedal to become even more awesome over time! :slight_smile:

I felt the same way about the fills. There are really two kinds of fills: fills that don’t draw all attention to the drummer but that continue to keep time and emphasize a transition, like putting a period on the end of a lyric, so to speak, and then there are the fills that you’d have at the end of a chorus when there’s a break and a regrouping before diving into the next verse, like starting a new paragraph. The majority of the fills were the latter and they’re a bit much for the middle of verses. In an instrumental jam situation it’s a different story, and I kind of think that’s more what the developers of the product were envisioning, hence the over-the-top intro fills rather than a simple count-in. I don’t think they had all of us acoustic soloists and acoustic duos in the forefront of their minds. All that being said, I’m thankful the pedal is as flexible as it is and allows me to create any kind of content I want and without limitations. For instance I’m currently creating a sitar backing adding a tabla to the hand percussion drumkit and putting a tampura drone on the accent trigger

Well said Charles. I guess my way of thinking is anytime I’m using a machine I want to create the illusion that I’m not or at least not let it be a distraction. I have a TC Helicon Harmony G and I use the same philosophy. Maybe a harmony on a chorus or at the end of a line. I try to mix it up and keep it musical. I never use more then 1 harmony voice because then it becomes a little robotic. It’s hard to find 3 singers that will phrase exactly the same in every way and be perfectly in sync. I’ve heard a couple of solo acts in my neck of the woods who use harmonizers to the nth degree on every song. It drives me crazy. Checked out some of your song files. Nice work.