Free MIDI editor designed for BeatBuddy

that was easy … thanks, open instantly (Y)

Ehi Man Very Good Job.
Only please Remember, at new version release, to change the “Version” in the “About BeatBuilder” menu. :wink:

I’ve done two songs now, Charles …thanks to your program (Y)
…just putting them on the BB for some ‘field’ testing :slight_smile:

Thanks Charles the midi editor is great.

After unpacking the folders within the .jar file how does one install? I don’t see an install file, .exe or anything to launch or install the application.

1 Like

^ just double click the .jar

And then what? As stated…doubleclicking the .jar simply opens the compressed package. How does one install or launch the application…is the question.

The extension .jar must be attributed to Java, not winzip or other unzip program.

Where does it outline that?

Never mind. I see it now. It was not obvious as Java is installed on my computer. However, it appears that the file is compressed and used WinRar to open it. Perhaps that should be made clearer.

If you put the .jar extension to Java by default (instead of WinRar) it should work. Otherwise I can not say more.

No need to say more… I stated that I found it, and that it was defaulted to WinRAR. It’s not any longer and now opens the app.

I sometimes have trouble understanding the translation of google … better if everything is ok :slight_smile:

Hi Charles… very awesome work. Any chance you could add Undo (Ctrl-Z) and Redo controls in the next update?

This looks pretty interesting however, I am not clear as to what exactly you do with this editor? Is there a tutorial or guide?
Thanks! :slight_smile:

If you plan to create custom drum tracks for the BeatBuddy pedal, you need a MIDI editor to create song fragments that you then import into the BeatBuddy Manager software. That process is illustrated here:

I’ve actually given that some thought. Having one level of undo wouldn’t be too hard and redo is just undoing an undo. Multiple levels of undo would be a bit more involved. Anyway, it’s definitely on the todo list. First I have a few bugs to fix, when I can set aside some time. For instance 6/8 time seems to get saved as 12/8 time and delete time sometimes looks like it deleted the bars but on reload, it only deleted the notes without shifting. Anyway, other than that the core functionality seems ok. I also don’t like how unresponsive the Java table is to mouse clicks in the cells, so I’m going to dive into their code. I already uncovered some inefficiencies in the core component classes so hopefully I can address it. I also want to implement the feature of scrolling the track as it plays.

All that being said, I’m finding it much much easier to download precomposed MIDI files, breaking them up into subsections, adjusting volumes, remapping instruments, etc., stuff which used to take me a lot of time using Anvil. I kinda wish I had written it much sooner :slight_smile:

That kinda makes sense. So the tool is to create drum tracks from scratch is that correct? It doesn’t do anything if you import an existing MIDI drum track with regards to changing MIDI drum numbers etc?

Actually that’s one of the things it does do, it remaps MIDI instruments to instruments that exist in the standard BeatBuddy drum kits. For instance the standard MIDI drum instrument map has 2 bass drums, 2 snares, 2 mid toms, and I think 2 low toms. Standard BeatBuddy kits only have one of each, so the editor shifts the notes to those that the BeatBuddy will actually utilize.

That sounds cool! The question is…how? Does it do this automatically? Meaning if I import a midi drum track that I have it will “automatically” translate the midi drum numbers to those compatible with the Beat Buddy?

Also, the documentation says under EDITOR GRID INSTRUMENTS - Transpose notes from one instrument to another.

How is that done?

For example, I’ve attached latin.mid. The midi file plays fine in other player but not in the FREE MIDI Editor. When you attempt to play it in the editor you here a lot of clicking noises where there should be drum beats. I am guessing that it did not move the drum notes to the correct notes but don’t see what the Midi note numbers are in order to change or how to change them.