Free MIDI editor designed for BeatBuddy

Hi Charles I would suggest you to add Midi note number before instrument name.
Instead of “Cowbell” I would suggest “56-Cowbell”.

It would help if I add to my drum set any instrument having a Midi note which is out of BB Midi subset, using a non used Midi note.
(e.g. I put a Claves sound, and I use Midi note 56)

Kudos to you for your nice work! :slight_smile:

I had originally included drumkit editing as part of the app which is intended to allow you to extend kits, add your own kits, switch between kits, etc. but I hit some trouble with getting the underlying platform’s table to fully reload and refresh itself to reflect the edits or switching, so I shelved that for a while so I could make it available sooner.

Thanks Charles, my suggestion was just about showing midi note number before instrument description.

I have quite a few types of drum midi files that don’t seem to load into the editor (EZDrummer, Addictive Drums & even some GM). There’s just nothing there once opened (no sound & no hits on the grid) although they all open fine in BB Manager. Does the editor only load a certain format of midi file (i.e. format 1)? I have no problem with files intended for BeatBuddy use. Would be very handy for these files to load & automatically remap to BeatBuddy format as you mention above.

Is it just fuller versions of GM files that ‘automatically remap’ to BeatBuddy GM or does it work somehow with EZDrummer etc. format files?

Transposer function in the editor? Where’s that? According to the HELP, Left/Right clicking is supposed to do something. Left click does nothing. Right click shows Set Note Volume and Adjust Note Volume

he said later, next upgrade, if he can !

Perhaps I misunderstood:
“It performs the instrument remapping automatically when you load the MIDI file into the editor. You can then use the transposer function in the editor if you want to do things like switch hi-hat hits over to the ride cymbal.”

Are you sure you have last version?
I click on the name of an instrument and a pop-up window appear where you can:

• set note volume
  • adjust note volume
  • randomize notes volumes
  • TRANSPOSE NOTE
  • delete all notes

Yes MannyL, you need the latest version to transpose.

Super! Where is that? I went to the link here in the post which took me to DROPBOX. Is there some other location?

Here’s the location I downloaded from, https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm4weqraqw4ye2t/BeatBuilder.jar?dl=0

Charles, you are a life saver! Thank you for writing this piece of software.

Ah, sorry, sounds like you don’t have the updated version. It should be in the pop-up menu when you right click on the name of an instrument. Download the newer version here https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm4weqraqw4ye2t/BeatBuilder.jar?dl=0

Can you attach one of the files that didn’t show up correctly in the editor so I can analyze what’s going on?

Charles,
Any plans for your software to use the same kits as beatbuddy?

Cheers

Isn’t this the same URL I posted above that I installed from?

Thanks, Manny.

I’m using version 1.2 …Is there a newer one?

Sure Charles, here are 4 examples (from different sources) - 1 is from an Alesis SR-18 midi file, 1 is an EZDrummer file, 1 is GM format 0 & 1 is from Addictive Drums. Maybe they’re not on MIDI channel 10 or something?

Yep, just tried changing the channel (it was 1) to channel 10 in another program then saved the files and opened in your editor - bingo!
I’d just like to re-ask - is it just fuller versions of GM files (i.e. using more drums than the BeatBuddy kits have) that ‘automatically remap’ to BeatBuddy GM or does it work somehow with EZDrummer etc. format files? Just re-mapping GM correctly is awesome but also re-mapping EZDrummer/Addictive Drums etc. would be even better.