Help with Program Change through CC for Roland GR-55

I am trying fo figure out how to configure a program change for a Roland GR-55 (to select an specific patch). Usually I have done it with Onsong with no problems (sending a bank select MSB, LSB, and a program change). Also with a Behringer FCB1010. Now I am trying to replicate that in MM (I have added 3 commands, MSB, LSB and PC and assigned them to a button). I can verify that GR-55 is receiving the commands from MM but it does not work. I have monitored midi messages from OnSong and from MM and there is a small difference. OnSong sends each command twice (MSB, LSB, PC). Also in the MM messages a [MP] label is added at the end (I don’t know if this is added by MM??). Any help is appreciated.

I really appreciate the work from Singular Sound staff to improve MM (thank you for BTM!) and the app, but IMO there is yet a long way to the promise formulated to attract our attention to MM: “MIDI has been famously hard to program …until now. The MIDI Maestro™ makes customizing your commands as easy as playing three power chords and calling it a song”. Hope this will be reality soon!

Some ideas:
Desktop application to program MM (tablet is no equal to usability, specially with this app).
Possibility to create custom modes with a text editor with some kind of pseudo-language.
Several custom modes at the same time with an easy way to change between them (or more pages of commands).
IOS app, please (I have bought an android tablet only to program MM…and it is a pain to connect and reconnect BTM to IOS an then to Android all time to program and test the custom modes). I know that Apple is complicating this but remember that some of us bought MM almost 3 years ago…

Thanks

1 Like

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4018.0

This thread might provide some enlightenment. It seems that that the GR-55 wants to receive both a bank command and a patch command to select patches. One is CC and the other is a PC. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks Phil. That is what I was trying to implement: bank command (MSB, LSB) + PC, but it does not work (that midi command works fine with OnSong and other pedal boards like FCB1010 to change patches).

Curious if this was ever resolved?

Assuming you are not using the mapping option you can access each gr55 patch like this

CC0 value 16 CC32 value 0 PC 0 is Lead 01-1
CC0 value 18 CC32 value 0 PC 103 is Other 40-3

The built in banks start at 16 and go up to 18 with up to 127 patches per bank although I think the number is variable. The user banks are 0,1 and 2.

Which is CC0 value 0 CC32 value 0 PC 0 is User 01-1
And CC0 value 2 CC32 value 0 PC 40 is User 99-3 the last user patch

Program Msg1 as Change Control 0 value 0 - this tells the GR55 a bank command is next
Program Msg2 as Change Control 32 value 0 this is user bank 1
Program Msg3 as Program Change 0 for patch 1

AS with my VL post you can use the scroll counters to select the bank on one button and then another to increment the program change. Given there are so many banks the numbering scheme goes way off but it works. This is much easier than selecting a bank using the GR55 at least.

Hello :
Can someone help me control the gr 55 with a tc 0144 controller and a tc 2290 module?
It does not work with banks and patches to control since it is old.
Work with midi from 0 to 127.
I have to repeat the patches in gr 55 to be able to select them from the tc.
I think there is a way to select them via midi cc.
Does anyone know if it’s possible this way or another?
Greetings and thanks!

I think the Roland GR55 manual details a way to do this - in short you configure which patch responds to which channel