How do you handle dynamics in a live setup?

Do you know this problem? For me it is difficult to use songs with a big range of drum-dynamics. Example: I start with light 4ths on a ride (for a piano solo at the beginning), at the end of the song I have full-set drums. In some venues the ride-pattern can’t be heard, because of bad acoustic (midi note nearly 120). If I turn the BB volume up, the first beat pattern comes like an explosion. I have to find a solution. What comes in my mind:

1. Compressor
  2. Volume Pedal
  3. Clean Booster (+XX DB for the quiet parts)

What do you suggest?

You might want to take a look at the Pfeiffer leveler. It’s sort of a cross between a volume pedal and a clean boost/cut. It’s a clean boost pedal with up/down buttons. That way you can tap up or tap down dB as you need to.

Thank you. What about a volume pedal? I come out mono. Would be good to be able to set the volume range only between 50 up to 100 %., not full down down to 0.

Some of the better volume pedal have a mechanism that lets you limit the travel of the potentiometer in the pedal. That way you can have a minimum value above zero. You’d have to look at pedals and their features, and particularly see what sort of calibration options they give you.

Frank-Ol: Can you let us know what you come up with? I’m interested in an answer to this as well!

re: Pfeiffer leveler (nice idea) … applying to the Beat buddy also or just instruments ?

I run the Beat Buddy drums into it.

It would be best to have the beatbuddy at the same level. What about a compressor? Here someone shows it

I use a volume pedal. Not perfect but does well enough for our duo

which one do you use. do you set a minimum range, or can you go down to zero?

I’d have to look when I’m home for the exact model. It was a cheap one. $30ish US currency. I go down to zero. Basically we use it to turn down if the beats are too loud. It gives a general sound loud, medium, soft and nothing. Works for our purposes.

Try this discussion too:
http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?threads/volume-pedal.7582/#post-33218

Yesterday i did some experiments with iPad JamUp Pro via apogee jam input. I made an effect chain only using several EQs with different levels, no amp-sim. So I can use one them for a spezial gain level. Using a compressor-sim in the chain does not sound good. The pumping sounds too artificial. With an iRig Blueboard I can use the EQs like Stompboxes. You can use other effects Phaser, Flanger or Reverb too. Next time i ll try my Boss ME 70…

Also try a Sonic Stomp pedal it doesnt change volume but it sure makes the BB sound noticeably better when played through my mixer. It is made for guitar I guess and a rack model that can be used for vocal and or guitar/drums .I tried it with my BB because I wasnt satisfied with clarity and it worked a treat.I have a compressor on my mixer I have that about 10 o’clock.I dont know technically what the sonic stomp does but it gives clarity/definiton and compression i think.It has 2 knobs a Lo Contour (Bass)and Process (Treble)which allows you to in essence tweak the treble and bass and tighten it up.Just thought you may be interested.

I bought a boss volume pedal. I ll try it live next Friday.

I’m interested in what people are doing with the fluctuating volumes

For those using OnSong, use hot corners. I have five different volume settings by touching one of the hot corners on my iPad. A quick touch and the volume changes to one of the preset settings, instantly. For those that would rather use a foot pedal, you can preprogram them on a midi capable foot pedal such as the BlueBoard.
[ATTACH=full]9948[/ATTACH]

You’d think BB would have a kind of default setting that doesnt make the toms cymbals etc blaringly loud up againt the rest of the instruments.Maybe this is something they should look at. So we dont have to continually tweak the tom rolls cymbals etc

Speaker placement is vital regarding room modes in a live set up.

This is very difficult from venue to venue.

Are you using your own P.A. Or does it belong to someone else?

Rule of thumb is to get the speakers at least 2.2m from the back wall. This drives phase cancellation down to around 40Hz.

Next is room length. This can amplify the bass or lower mids.

This is what will be drowning out your ride cymbal.

The best thing to do is to use eq to balance the room modes a bit more to balance out your overall sound.

It needs to be done per venue depending on the size of the room and speaker placement.

Look into room acoustics. Complex to start with but vital to getting a good live sound.

Kind regards

Rodney