How Does One Create a New Beat?

I’m not clear on this… I thought we would be able to do this with the software provided, but it doesn’t appear so. So we have to create with another program and THEN upload here?

Talking strictly about new beats creation - yes, you get WAV files originated from somewhere else and organize them into a BeatBuddy drumset using the manager software.

BeatBuddy Manager was designed to be a utility to create or edit BeatBuddy files through arranging WAV / MIDI files only. It wasn’t designed to either create or edit MIDI and WAV.

Just to clarify… because I’m not all that tech-savvy… We do not currently have the capability (within the BeatBuddy management software) to edit the beats that already provided, nor to create new ones?

Sadly no, there is no way to edit the midi patterns in the current version of the Software manager.

I hope there will be in future versions, but for now this software is designed to edit the songs and drum sets using the patterns it already has, or that are provided by other drum pattern editors.

Any recommendations for a simple drum midi loop sequencing piece of software? The simpler the better. Like 16 step grid with an export button simple. The only recommendation I have seen is Hydrogen which looks way more robust than I need. I’m computer savvy but don’t enjoy it so much for music production and would rather spend my energies else-were but really want some more boom ktchak boom ktchak ktchak break beats and figure if I want them soon I’ll have to make them.

I use Guitar Pro 5.2.

This may also be a new topic but it fits in here too especially if you are creating beats from scratch or using midi files that aren’t general midi compatible. I created a new 3/4 straight 8 beat and one of the toms on my elctronic kit were triggering the wrong note so I made the table below to ensure that the correct notes were being sent to my DAW when recording the beat.

BB Standard Kit
33 A0 Metronome
36 C1 Kick Drum
37 C#1 Cross Stick
38 D1 Snare
39 D#1 Handclaps
42 F#1 Hi-Hats Closed
43 G1 Tom 4 (Floor)
44 G#1 Foot Hi-hat
45 A1 Tom 3 (Low)
46 A#1 Hi-Hat Open
48 C2 Tom 2 (Hi-Mid)
49 C#2 Crash Cymbal 1
50 D2 Tom 1 (High)
51 D#2 Ride Cymbal
53 F2 Ride C. Bell
55 G2 Splash 1
57 A2 Crash Cymbal 2
59 B2 Splash 1

Let me ask the question in a different way that I might be able to understand. I found a pattern in BB that is perfect for a song I’m working on but it needs a high hat on each upbeat between the kick and the snare beats. Can I add this high hat somehow?

This is actually answered in this thread.
You will need to edit the midi files with an external program, I’m current trying to find a free one that works well. Make the changes, save as a midi file and then add it to the song in the Manager software. My 2nd tutorial video shows you part of the process of adding it to the manager software.
I have read here that the ability to edit the patterns within the manager software will be implemented in the near future, however they are currently working hard to get the Mac version finished.

I’ve been searching also for a free program to build drum midi files.
If you find any please let me know
Thanks !

I have a selection of midi drum patterns that is used in the Alesis drum machine. Can these be imported and used with the Beat Buddy?

Yes, MIDI files are possible to be imported. Check out Psalm40’s videos for how to do that. Official videos help too :slight_smile:

psalms40 did you find a simple program we can generate/modify midi files on?