How I make backing tracks with BeatBuddy

I thought I’d post on how I create backing tracks with the BeatBuddy. I realise that there’s probably better methods using the BB Manager, but I personally find this quick and quite easy. I connect my BB to my Focusrite as an instrument & set the BPM (on Ableton Live) the same as on the BB.
I record the BB drum that I want and along the way add the other pattern(s) via the footswitch and run through/record the various drum fills. Once done I quantize what I’ve recorded on Ableton -so everything is in time (it does drift ever so slightly over that length of time). From there I cut up the drums into Patt 1, Patt 2, etc and pull out the drum fills.
Now that I have all of the elements isolated it is just a matter of pasting the relevant drum parts into the song (I just record a ‘scratch track’ so I know which drum pattern of fill to put in to that section).
I use my laptop hooked up to the PA or amp for the backing track which usually includes pre-recorded bass as well (so don’t actually use the BB when performing).
Has anyone else used a similar method?

3 Likes

Rather than record audio from the Beat Buddy, I have simply used the midi parts from its .sng files. The included midi files are available for download, and the others can be exported from the BB using BBManager. Then, having midi drum files, I can use a variety of software drum kits, from Steven Slate, Native Instruments, etc. if I want the exact BB sounds, I can get Goran’s drum plug-ins. I can then use these files in Logic Pro or Ableton and create whatever I desire, editing as I desire. It’s a more robust method than working with recorded audio snippets, but, hey, whatever works. Lots of music gets built using loops, and your method is certainly one way to create and use loops. Keep at it! You’ll come up with some great stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks for your comments Phil The additional drum kits would be a great advantage.

Phil`s solution is a better way. But to clear up misunderstanding:
You also can record the midi signal from the BB live in your DAW as a midi-track.
When working with a DAW all connected midi devices are normally synchronized by the midi protocol.
Normally (only) one device (DAW or BB) sends a clock-signal over the midi connection and the other device(s) receive it. So all devices are beat- synhronized together. Start/Stop signals also can be used.
Unfortunally this behaviour must be “configured” in each device. (setup).
Greetings and have fun. Uli

1 Like

You are actually losing the whole purpose of the BB.
BB sounds great live, but if you record it and then play back the recording …not too impressive.

1 Like