How I solved a volume issues.

I’ve seen a number of posts about using volume pedals and problems with volumes or useful beats.

I use a freeware midi editor to modify the loops, for both content and volume of each drum, cymbal,etc. As I run through my main list of 125 songs, I have a UNIQUE BB song for EVERY tune. I initially made some rough selections of loops for each song and set the bpm and drum sets. Then as I rehearse, each pass through my song list, I make updates to the midi loops with BB manager for content (adding or removing hits) and volume. I also change to different loops or maybe change the beat completely. I do this immediately during my practice time. That way I don’t have to try and remember what changes I want. During the first 2 passes I made LOTS of changes and edited a fair number of midi loops. But after the 3rd pass through the song list and making adjustments it’s very well tweaked and I make few changes now. I can now adjust the main BB volume or speaker main and it keeps the relative volumes between songs and loops.

It’s not taken me all that long to get each of these songs to a consistent volume for the whole 125 songs.

It’s a bit of work, but not nearly as bad as I expected.

I have also have a home studio so I have a lot of midi drum loops that I use and tailor for my needs. The same loops for studio work will work in BB. You may find some loops use a drum not in your BB drum set. You can change it to an instrument that BB does have and change or delete it if you like. If you haven’t edited midi, it’s pretty straight forward once you start playing with it. It’s not rocket surgery.

I would not have been able to complete my song list with just the BB supplied loops. There are some great loops in there but not enough variety unless you have a pretty strict genre. You really need to also have a good stock of 3rd party loops such as Superior Drummer or EZDrummer fill packs or one of the other many available drum loop packages. When I update a loop, I save it to a new file and I now have a fair sized custom BB loop library ready to go so it becomes less work all the time. Now it’s basically maintenance.

Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but I’m happy with the results. BB is great tool, but it takes some work to get your songs set up. After that you can bring new tunes up to par as you go. It worked for me.

Your not doing it wrong if it works for you. I do a lot of things differently that might appear to be strange or complicated to other musicians but it works for me and I get the same or better results anyway. Everyone has their own ideas, that’s what makes us all unique. Do it your way! It might be the best way.
Sincerely, Fingerstylepicker.