How to stop automatically a OPB song?

I just use opb on my BB, on intro I put the song and on the main loop a Null, but when the song ends the BB doesn’t stop automatically. What should I do to make this happen without me needing to press anything?

Move the song from the Intro to the Outro. Leave the null file where it is. Takes a double-tap to start but will stop when it reaches the end of the song without any user action with the pedal.

1 Like

thanks but it didn’t work, this way the BBM doesn’t play the midi song and besides that, on BB, the song just stops playing but it doesn’t appear stop on display, my intention is that when the song ends I can move on to the next one, through the footswitch, without having to press the main pedal to stop the song

Are you racking the BB? Putting it somewhere you can’t reach? Is it guarded by large, hungry dogs? Why can’t YOU stop it?

1 Like

i know there is a way to do it but I dont no how, maybe some configuration on BB

Double tap your BB pedal and on the 2nd tap hold the pedal down for a few seconds. Or, if you have the accessory pedal, set one of the buttons to pause and tap that button to pause/stop the song (then do the afore-mentioned to the pedal to really stop the song).

1 Like

I really appreciate all the answers but what I’m wanting is for BB to stop, at the end of the song, without me having to press anything, I don’t know if it’s possible

[image]

1 Like

I do not believe there is, guifreitas. I use mostly OPB songs and have always had to stop BB myself at the end. I prefer to use the accessory pedal since it is more reliable than trusting my foot to double-tap correctly.

1 Like

Thanks. I use footswitch as well

I have the entire song…including count in on intro. Null on the outro. Then i just need to click aux footswitch to stop.

1 Like

I have the same issue. I’m using OP songs and just want to trigger it to start. When it is over I want it to stop. Otherwise, it loops back to the beginning again. Seems like there should be a simple way to do this…I guess not.

1 Like

One-press songs can stop automatically with one simple change. If the song is in the Intro, move it to the Outro. When the song ends, the pedal will stop. The only catch is that you have to double-tap the pedal to start the song.

2 Likes

Thanks!

When I try this - just having the whole MIDI track as an Outro Fill - BeatBuddy Manager complains that there is no Main Loop and it won’t export the project to SD.

What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

It sounds like you’re moving the song from the Main Drums Loop to the Outro. The Main Drums Loop part of the song should have a placeholder called either Null, Empty or Nil. It’s a MIDI file that plays no sound and it’s how we hack the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) and the BeatBuddy (BB) pedal to play one-press songs.

Download one of my songs to use as a model and use the drums one-press drums (DOP, usually the v1) version. Make the Intro to Outro move and do not touch the file in the Main Drums Loop.

2 Likes

Persist,

First of all thank you so much for your tips! I have a related question regarding using BeatBuddy with OP songs.

I recently bought the BeatBuddy. I thought I would be use it to trigger the included drum loops but (like you) I was pretty quickly drawn to doing OP songs. I’ve been able to get the OP songs to work and they do sound good. But the process of managing them, moving them to the BeatBuddy, triggering them, and so on is kind of painful. For example, copying the while project to SD card whenever I make an update because sync doesn’t work in the BB Manager. I’m sure you know some of the other issues.

I recently thought of another option. I can create audio files of the OP drum tracks, store them on my iPad, and trigger them using a bluetooth pedal I have. I’m sure this has occurred to you too. Yet you continue to use a BeatBuddy.

My question is: what is value are you getting out of BeatBuddy with OP songs? Is it that you like to use it for accents or to fills? Are there other reasons you use it for OP? Just curious!

I already have all the pedals and so this is not a purchase question, more of a usage question.

Regards,
Ryan

1 Like

I’ll give you my take on this:

It’s a way to have a backing track player in a pedal format. Some folks tend to view the use of video screens as not being “real” music. If it’s all on your pedal board, they might give you a pass.

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

I guess I’m kind of more old school as I don’t use an iPad. Although I considered using an iPad in a similar but not quite the same configuration, I found it to just add another variable of something that could possibly go wrong.

Several users have suggested just using the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) on a laptop instead of the pedal or other peripheral devices to play one-press songs. Other users use the pedal to play wav files as backing tracks. Other users use a hybrid method of integrating samples with a one-press song. Then there are others that like the total control of being able to switch between song parts using the default (factory) songs and drum sets. As I no longer am gigging, I pretty much play for my own amusement and I like the multi-instrumented one-press format songs (drums, bass, piano, strings, horns, etc). It gives me a fuller sound and I don’t have to multi-task with the pedal dancing. This lets me concentrate on playing the song. I don’t use accents or fills—just a song such as an OPBk. I pretty well have a workflow down pat and I’m able to efficiently craft a one-press song from a MIDI source file and get it onto my SD card, despite the Mac version of the BBM synchronization being MIA. I agree, having to depend on exporting a project to my card is tedious. My workaround to get the content onto the SD card is to use Carbon Copy Cloner which takes the place of the BBM’s synchronization.

Are you using Ventura or intending to migrate to Ventura any time soon?

1 Like

I’m gigging in a couple of settings. I’m in one large (7 piece) group that has a drummer (and percussionist) so I’m all set there.

I’m also in a Duo. We play smaller places and so far we don’t have a drummer. We’ve done our sets without percussion. But we are thinking of kicking it up a notch. We considered adding a drummer, but as you know that third person makes it so much harder for scheduling and such. Not to mention all the extra equipment.

So we decided to try some backing tracks which is something I’ve never done before. Our original plan was to use beat buddy loops but I could not find loops that were quite right for what we wanted. Fortunately it turned out to be fairly easy to create full tracks. In about a month I’ve now got backing tracks for 6 songs. I created them on a Mac running Ventura and using the Logic Pro MIDI editor (which was pretty easy to learn). I created some simple tracks from scratch, and others I downloaded as MIDI arrangements from various sources (including a few loops from the BeatBuddy) and edited from there. I’m not saying these are the most amazing tracks in the world, but they are a start.

The question is how to play them. I definitely want to trigger them with a pedal - but which pedal? I’ve been able to export them from Logic as MIDI files and load them onto the beat buddy. Works, but with a lot of overhead (in terms of process). Then I run cable from the beatbuddy to the mixing board. At that point the beat buddy is just playing the tracks.

The other alternative is to save them from Logic as audio files and load them onto an iPhone or iPad and then trigger them with my Bluetooth pedal (I have a Pageflip Dragonfly).

I’m going to experiment with both methods.

By the way this is no slam on the BeatBuddy. For what it does, it does it well, and it sounds great. (I can criticize the BB software a bit - it makes the process slow and fiddly - but I do know they are working on a better version of the software).

Honestly I’m not sure I’m the BB target customer anyway. David Packhouz said in a posting on this forum that 80% of BeatBuddy users just use pre-defined loops - and I bet a lot of them use it only at home. Editing MIDI puts me in the minority. Creating full OP tracks is a smaller group. Using the pedal for live gigs is another minority. So Singular is not going to focus on satisfying people like me which is fair enough! I might still end up using the BB (or not) but if I do use it I understand I will be “off-roading”.

1 Like

Phil,

Fair enough. It definitely looks better to trigger with a pedal.

Ryan

1 Like