I feel like I wasted $500 on Beat Buddy. VERY UNHAPPY

I found that you might have to re-program the foot switch using the newly installed card then save/lock it in the card. I have made several SD cards as backup and had to go through this process with each card.

1 Like

I had the original BeatBuddy and i too have given up on it. I had too much trouble with the manager program so
I’m back to using the mini2. More happy with that for now. Until something better comes along.

1 Like

My point exactly. Great product with so much potential.
People are giving up because it’s too difficult to use.
If you don’t support us why would we buy more singular sound products?

1 Like

By the way…
I know I can use other tools and I know midi.
I want to do it in one place. Quick and easy.
Maybe Straight to BB without the SD card?
Maybe with my iPad so I don’t have to start my computer?
Maybe to be able to do all this on stage?
Just thinking.
But nobody listens. :frowning:

You’re kidding, right?

2 Likes

You want the BB to have memory that it does not have. You want MIDI editing capabilities that were part of the original design but were later provided, albeit in something that some of us don’t like. And, you claim there NO SUPPORT??? What song do you want? Have you made an6 requests?

Or, maybe, you just need to sell your BB and move on.

1 Like

JoeInOttawa, Are they paying you?
How many people have to say the same thing until you(or they) listen.
I am very knoweldgable with music and midi and wireless technology.
I have been holding back but this is NOT acceptable to my expectations.
First…
I bought one of the first off the assembly line.
6 years later I expect more.
Great product. Shitty software.
I don’t think I am alone.
There it is…
Prove me wrong

1 Like

Thanks Phil,
Let’s stay in 2013 forever.
Maybe I will sell and move on.
But I was hoping that Beatbuddy might live up to its potential.

Just so we are on the same page.
Beat Buddy Manager sucks.
Beatbuddy machine is great.
Prove me wrong.

More or less agree. Beat Buddy Manager needs improvement, with thing like, cut and paste capabilities in the songs section, and in the drum kit editor. Where we disagree is that a Beat Buddy Manager needs to be a one-stop shop. Use better midi editors to edit midi. And, it’s never been on IOS or Android app. Singular wants to sell hardware. Maybe they will make an IOS/Android BB app that allow for the virtual pedal function on a pad someday. It’s been suggested to David.

But, in its current state, I find BBM to be usable. I just accept it for what it is.

2 Likes

Prove you wrong?

Four years. 270 shows. Repertoire now approaching 150 songs. All run my lights. Several play keyboards as well. That feels like proof enough to me, but YMMV.

:slight_smile:

Look, I agree with you that the BBM is not great.

No, wait. I actually DON’T agree with you on that. It is a tool that manages your sets and songs, and it does that just fine. It’s not a drum editor and it’s not a MIDI editor. It has those capabilities at a really crap level (which I think is your point), and they need to address that. But it does a fine job of managing songs and sets.

Which is what it was built to do.

If they were to do it right, they would have to add the new drumset and MIDI tools outside of the BBM so they can decouple the development of those support tools from the development of the management tool (i.e., BBM). And I think they should do that. But, while we wait for that to happen, knowing that they’d be separate tools anyway, I already have good separate tools to do what I want. So I can wait.

And I might not even use their tools, because I like the tools I already use. If their tools were integrated into BBM somehow (like click on a part to open it in their MIDI editor), that’d be fine, but otherwise, I’m happy with the access to tools that being an open platform gives me.

As I’ve said before, to get the most out of the BB takes effort, the more you put in, the more you get out. Yes, they absolutely should give us better tools. But no, neither the BBM nor the overall system sucks.

And, finally, no you certainly have NOT been holding back. Which is actually what I appreciate about you, and why I do recognize your (mostly, in my mind) legitimate complaints.

And I’ll get to that in a minute.

But first, I need you to understand something: My “You’re kidding” comment was about your comment about a lack of support. Between @persist and @BeatBuddy_Support and all of the other users here in this community who jump in to help people when they have problems, the support on this forum is really, really good. To say otherwise is an insult to the people – SS included – who give their time and effort to help people resolve issues.

Got a problem with software? I’m okay with that. Complaining about the support? That, I have an issue with.

Now, back to your consistency. The last/only person I’ve directly taken to task over bitching about stuff had made the claim that he had been complaining and asking for help in dozens of posts over the course of years. Turns out, he had posted all of four times, and only two of those posts were actual complaints or even questions. You, on the other hand, have been consistent with your issues. Consistent and vocal. And, hard as it may be to believe, I actually appreciate that about you. Because your conviction suggests that you genuinely care about it, so we can talk, and I can hear what you’re saying, and I think you can hear me.

But, again, my response was about support. That and I don’t think BBM sucks. I think the fact that the system is missing tools (sorta) sucks.

Your turn: Prove ME wrong.

3 Likes

Now, let’s get back to being productive: What do you want to be able to do? No generalities, like “I want to edit MIDI files,” be specific. What functionality to you really want? Is there a tool out there that feels like the right answer to you? Because “I want to edit MIDI” is about the same as saying “Get out there and win”: It’s aspirational, but it’s not informative.

So, if you’re designing the editor, what functionality would it have? How would it work?

2 Likes

Could you explain what they are (or is there an existing post that does?)

Why do you like them?

I use BBM to modify drumkits, build songs from parts, and arrange sets. For MIDI editing and other stuff, I use Reaper. I like it because I’m very familiar with it, it’s easy to work with MIDI, and it does MIDI transpose on single notes (so, for example, I can select and move all NOTE-41 toms to NOTE-43 in a single swoop).

Are you looking for help with something specific, or are you just exploring?

I licensed Reaper, so that’s not a problem. I was curious if there was anything better for what you’re doing.

Specifically, I’m looking to adapt MIDI output files from JAMSTIX 4 into beatbuddy songs, which creates endlessly tweakable grooves and fills in various styles from different A.I. “drummers”. It has the makings of a useful combination of tools.

First, I have to determine a MIDI map (JAMSTIX -> BEATBUDDY) so the JAMSTIX MIDI notes go to the proper drum sounds, as I don’t have to manually convert every MIDI file I make. I don’t know whether to attempt this in JAMSTIX or BBM.

Later, I also would like to try creating a few favorite JAMSTIX drumkits for the beatbuddy, as I currently have 219 different drumkits in JAMSTIX.

All of this, of course, takes place in my “spare” time…

If you’re anal like me and you want the drums to be just-so, you no longer have spare time.

So, what you’re talking about – converting the GM MIDI drums from other sources – is one of two things I do with Reaper. The first is editing MIDI beats to bend the BB to my will, but let’s talk about why Reaper for transposing. The short answer is that, in piano roll view, you can right-click on the piano roll to select all instances of that note, then drag them to the correct note.

For example, it always surprises me how many 3rd-party files use NOTE-34 (the electric kick drum) for the kick. I right-click on the piano roll for NOTE-34, grab one of the notes, and drag it up to NOTE-36.

Other than that, I don’t do much MIDI transposing.

Oh, I also will play some of the parts in using an old Roland OctaPad recording to Reaper and then – same editing process.

Totally agree. I pre ordered mine before they were on the market. Waited a while for it to come in. Finally got it and was waaaay disappointed. Back in the box it went and I didn’t touch it again for over two years. It was way to complicated! Broke it back out of the box after two years and still found myself disappointed and frustrated! Back in the box it went.

I just recently messed with it again and I’m sorry but the BBM software is just terrible It’s poorly made and should have been simplified and easier to use and understand. That’s my opinion any ways. I wish I never sold my Ry 30 drum machine. It was Easy to use and songs could be arranged in no difficult time.
I have used all kinds of recording software over the years cakewalk, fruity loops, Cubase, pro tools etc…and never had this much difficulty using those software programs. I’ve used all my software along the years with windows xp, xp pro ,vista win 7 and now windows 10. Again may just be me but the BBM software is weak! Maybe I just won’t settle for the software and accept it as others do but for now I’ve lost my interest in it once again and will let it collect dust and as someone mentioned in the feed apply my time to my instrument and band. I bought this thinking it would be a good practice tool as well as a drum track tool for my originals

hello, I’m new here, but, I know how you feel, I bought this thinging it might be
-plug n play-, and I was wrong.
so, have you learned anything about the way it works?
all the reading I’ve done on the forum tells me the only people working on
helping the newbies are those that have it figured out, and it looks like non of them
work for Singular Sound, and they wont help any of us from what I’ve seen.

Have you spent a little bit of time reading the BeatBuddy (BB) Quickstart Guide and the User Manual?

What kind of problems or questions do you have?

Hello, I am trying to learn how tocreate my own beats, but I can’t seem to get the correct Midi map
is what I was told. thank
thank you for the rreply.