Import Beatbuddy beats to Logic Pro

Is there a tutorial for importing BeatBuddy songs/parts into Logic Pro? I’m thinking about getting an Aeros Looper and would like to be able to work with the loop wav files in Logic, however, I’d like to be able to import the drums into Logic as well. Is this possible?

It is possible, but it requires a bit of work. The song parts can be exported as midi files. I believe the midi files are even available for download from Singular. Drum kits, though, do not work in Logic in any native format. You can find the wav files used to make any given drum kit on your hard drive. Open a kit for editing in BBM, and then search your hard drive for kit name, and you should find a folder with the kit name followed by WAV. The .wav files are in there.

Using the wav files, you can create an instrument in Sampler. There are tutorials on the web to explain this process. If you prefer, you can also create an instrument for use in Kontakt to play the wav files. Either of those will let you play the midi files using the sounds from the BB.

A third option is to use the BB as an external sound module, triggering whatever midi you want to run into it from Logic. You can then route the audio from the BB back into your interface to record it in Logic.

1 Like

To expand just a little bit on what Phil_Flood has said,

• Exporting to MIDI from the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) may not be the best method for editing files in Logic Pro X. Some users have reported that the resulting exported MIDI files may not be accurate. This may hold true for both the default and the user-created content.
  • The text in blue font is a link to the MIDI Loop Library
  • Some users report that the wav files may not be visible in their bbworkspace folder; if this is the case, you may have to first quit the BBM. If that doesn’t help, you might have to change the file attributes in your bbworkspace folder to make the invisible files visible.
1 Like

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Has anyone done this? If so, would you mind sharing a file or two? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the helpful ideas on this thread. Final solution that worked for me: I use an iRig duo, which allows sending midi signals over USB and converting them to the midi cable that BB likes, so it plays whatever sequence Logic tells it. Routing the BB output into the audio input of the iRig gets the sound back into logic, so everything’s played and recordable in Logic. This allows me to use the drum kits stored in the BB but do all the midi manipulation instantaneously from logic, and hear it in on my computer. Once I have the midi the way I like it I export it to the SD card and it goes into the BB for performances. While it does require another piece of hardware (and there are definitely those cheaper than the iRig duo), it allows me to use logic songs to organize all my midi tracks, I have far more of those than I have different drum sounds.

1 Like