Import of Groove Monkee pbf-file doesn't work (all of a sudden ...)

Hi BeatBuddy support,

GrooveMonkee just released a updated version of their “Jazz Buddy” pbf folder & files … for some odd reason whenever I try to import the Jazz_Buddy.pbf it appears to do it, but it only creates another copy of my existing Gig list folder … tried numerous times with the same result … what went wrong?

Cheers,
Wolf

Did you delete or rename the existing Jazz Buddy folder from the BBM before you imported the updated version?

Yes, I deleted the folder through BBM before importing.
I tried to import the Jazz_Buddy.pbf before deleting the folder & it seemed to only update the pbf-file and not imported the additional content, hence I thought deleting the folder within BBM will help importing all content. But now it imports only my recent Gig list folder & creates a duplicate called Gig list(1) … very strange as I imported many pbf-files in the last 18 months without a problem.
I’m on BBM version 1.66.

Cheers, Wolf

Here’s a screen shot of my Jazz Buddy folder contents.
[ATTACH]7414[/ATTACH]
What additional content are you referring to or expecting? Or are you referring to new content?
Can you provide screen shots of your JB folder content as well as the rest of your Project Explorer folders, similar to this screen shot?
[ATTACH]7413[/ATTACH]

Hi @persist ,
Thanks for coming back.

Unfortunately I can’t show you the content of the Jazz Buddy folder anymore because I have deleted it through BBM (Songs\Delete Folder - see attached jpeg BBM#1).
[ATTACH]7419[/ATTACH]
Now I have the BBM content as per jpeg BBM#2 (you can see my Wolf’s Gig List folder on the top).
[ATTACH]7420[/ATTACH]
I try to illustrate how I proceed to add the Jazz Buddy folder with screenshots as follows:
In BBM I choose File\Import\Folder (jpeg BBM#3)
[ATTACH]7421[/ATTACH]
I browse to the Jazz Buddy folder with the pbf-file & ‘open’ (jpeg BBM#4).
[ATTACH]7423[/ATTACH]
It appears to import folders etc (see jpeg BBM#5)
[ATTACH]7424[/ATTACH]
… but it creates a perfect copy of my ‘Wolf’s Gig List’ only & names it ‘Wolf’s Gig List(1)’ (see jpeg BBM#6).
[ATTACH]7425[/ATTACH]
I expanded the folder contents & as you can see they contain the identical content (see jpeg BBM '7) …
[ATTACH]7426[/ATTACH]
I repeated the described process many times with the same result.
It is bizarre as this has never happened to me before i.e. import of pbf-files was always smooth & easy.

I attached another couple of jpegs of the config files of the sons & freshly (but wrongly) created ‘Wolfs’ Gig List(1)’ folder content to confirm the error (BBM #8 & BBM #9). Hope that gives you a clue on what might have gone wrong …
[ATTACH]7427[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7428[/ATTACH]

Many thanks,
Wolf

Hmmm. I cannot replicate the issue following your steps—thanks for the extra effort to show me exactly what you are doing. Let’s see if we can narrow this down to a source but before we get into that, a couple of cautionary notes:
[LIST]
[]Consider making your project name Wolf’s BeatBuddy_300716 shorter and without the user of the underscore e.g, Wolf 300716
[
]No need to open or examine the BBM cvs files as this can potentially lead to corruption
[]I don’t know that either of the 2 things above are the source of your issue, but they might contribute to it
[/LIST]
Troubleshooting:
[LIST]
[
]make sure Excel is closed and that no other program is using or viewing your BBM cvs file
[]make sure you are saving songs and folders to your bbworkspace and that you don’t have duplicate projects located outside your bbworkspace
[LIST]
[
]if needed, BBM > Tools > Set Workspace Location
[/LIST]
[]BBM > File > Save Project
[
]then BBM > File > New Project (give it a name different than any other) and make sure it’s saving to your bbworkspace—if not,
[]BBM > Import > Folder > Jazz BB
[
]does this import the Groove Monkee folder correctly?
[/LIST]
If this works, your next steps are
[LIST]
[]BBM > File > Open Project (navigate to your bbworkspace and select Wolf’s BeatBuddy_300716)
[
]BBM > File > Save Project As Wolf 300716 and make sure it’s going in your bbworkspace
[*]BTW, hover over Project Explorer and the tool tip should display the complete path to your project [ATTACH]7439[/ATTACH]

[]BBM > Import > Folder > Jazz BB
[
]if this works, you should be good to go
[/LIST]
If this still isn’t working
[LIST]
[]make a backup of your project BBM > File > Synchronize Project (if it’s greyed out, you’ll have to BBM > File > Export > Project to SD Card and then allow it to sync project to SD card
[
]use Windows to remove the BeatBuddy Manager and the bbworkspace as well as any duplicate bbworkspace folders
[]install BBM; if you have not done so before, update the Default BeatBuddy Content Update from https://library.mybeatbuddy.com/software-download/
[
]BBM > Tools > Set Workspace Location
[]BBM > File > Open Project (if prompted to find the project, navigate to your SD card and open)
[
]follow the prompts to save project to your computer (bbworkspace); make sure it has a new, shorter name
[*]BBM > Import > Folder > Jazz BB
[/LIST]

Hi @persist ,

Thanks for your detailed reply - here are my findings:

Troubleshooting:
[LIST]
[]make sure Excel is closed and that no other program is using or viewing your BBM cvs file
[
]make sure you are saving songs and folders to your bbworkspace and that you don’t have duplicate projects located outside your bbworkspace
[LIST]
[]if needed, BBM > Tools > Set Workspace Location
[/LIST]
[
]BBM > File > Save Project
[]then BBM > File > New Project (give it a name different than any other) and make sure it’s saving to your bbworkspace—if not,
[
]BBM > Import > Folder > Jazz BB
[*]does this import the Groove Monkee folder correctly?
[/LIST]
Unfortunately - no … same result, i.e. duplicate of Wolf’s Gig List as before … :frowning:

If this works, your next steps are
[LIST]
[]BBM > File > Open Project (navigate to your bbworkspace and select Wolf’s BeatBuddy_300716)
[
]BBM > File > Save Project As Wolf 300716 and make sure it’s going in your bbworkspace
[]BTW, hover over Project Explorer and the tool tip should display the complete path to your projecthttp://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/data/attachments/7/7374-d8c1dbad15a2ac2f4c4ac607870334b8.jpg
[
]BBM > Import > Folder > Jazz BB
[*]if this works, you should be good to go
[/LIST]
Again, unfortunately - no … tried as suggested the shorter without the underscore … same result, i.e. duplicate of Wolf’s Gig List as before … :frowning:

If this still isn’t working
[LIST]
[]make a backup of your project BBM > File > Synchronize Project (if it’s greyed out, you’ll have to BBM > File > Export > Project to SD Card and then allow it to sync project to SD card
[
]use Windows to remove the BeatBuddy Manager and the bbworkspace as well as any duplicate bbworkspace folders
[]install BBM; if you have not done so before, update the Default BeatBuddy Content Update from https://library.mybeatbuddy.com/software-download/
[
]BBM > Tools > Set Workspace Location
[]BBM > File > Open Project (if prompted to find the project, navigate to your SD card and open)
[
]follow the prompts to save project to your computer (bbworkspace); make sure it has a new, shorter name
[*]BBM > Import > Folder > Jazz BB
[/LIST]
Followed exactly your instructions & again, unfortunately - no … still creates a duplicate of Wolf’s Gig List as before … though now - as I have loaded the project from the SD (current BeatBuddy project including the “old” Jazz Buddy content) - I have the original Jazz Buddy content available again (see jpeg) … I’m at a loss what could cause this behaviour …
[ATTACH]7441[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7442[/ATTACH]

Something’s wrong with my Gig List (strange that it only & every time picks up this folder & duplicates it …

Cheers,
Wolf

Hi @persist ,

Tried something else in addition - exported the “Wolf’s Gig List” folder onto the desktop & deleted the “Wolf’s Gig List” folder with BBM … imported the Jazz Buddy folder - unfortunately with the same result > it duplicated the “Wolf’s Gig List” although it was deleted in the songs list (see jpeg) … how bizarre is that … I’m certainly at a loss now …
[ATTACH]7443[/ATTACH]
Cheers,
Wolf

Okay - found the problem - goodness me … don’t know how I managed to do this … as a last resort I decided to delete the Jazz Buddy download & extracted the original file again -after trying all of your suggestions and more with luck I thought it must have something to do with the GrooveMonkee download - and bingo - the file size of the extracted Jazz Buddy pbf-file was only 650kb whereas the Jazz_Buddy.pbf I tried to import was the same size as my Wolf’s Gig List.pbf (4335kb) … so, somehow - I don’t know how - I must have overwritten the original Jazz Buddy pbf with the content of my Gig List pbf, hence the same file size & obviously content - duh!

Happy ending, but sorry about the hazzle @persist … love my BeatBuddy!

All the Best,
Wolfgang

Hey, that’s great. Thanks for circling back to let us know how you resolved it. Sometimes it’s the simplest things, isn’t it.

Never a hassle.