In editor, numbers where beat divisions would be

Hi,

In editor (Song is Songwriter Brushes - 56 - 16ths), there’s some nice delicate brushwork. Instead of what you usually see up top, there are lots of numbers – can anyone explain what they are? I suspect it has something to do with the fact that’s not quantized. I’ll try to include screenshot – thanks.

The numbers are velocity, it is a number from 0 to 127. 0 is silent 127 is loud. It is the force a note or instrument is played.

thanks renevmind, I think you’re referring to the volume of each instrument though?
I was referring to the numbers running across at the very top of all the columns, where normally you would see values for the beat (quarter notes, eighths, etc).

Ah, that is the length of the notes in a certain time like you wrote quaternotes eighths, but since this is not quantisized so the numbers are not all the same length. you could call it the human feel

1 Like

I believe it is the note length in midi ticks. Or it may be time position in ticks. It’s hard to tell because I can’t see complete numbers.

thanks guys, I thought it was something like that!

It was very informative as to getting a subtle feel with brushes, something I’ve been trying to get on a song. I noticed some of the hits were super low velocity (like 2!!) so that was helpful in trying to get my loop to sound more “gentle”.