Is it possible to use a MIDI controller to fully control it

Hi,

I have another question: Is it possible to use a MIDI controller to fully control beatbuddy? Like this one. http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dmc-3xl-g2

Actually I bought DMC-8D to MIDI control my bigsky timeline pitchfactor on the mainboard and line 6 pod XT and Torpedo CAB on the other board. http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dm … controller

What i wanna do is just ONE stomp to stop the drum instead TWO. and scroll up and down the folder to find a song. If we only can Scroll down the files, what if we miss it then we have to bend down to press UP DOWN ARROWS on the Beatbuddy,

Thanks.

Re: Is it possible to use a MIDI controller to fully control

As far as I can understand, you are interested in how BeatBuddy supports MIDI synchronization (being Slave in this case).

You will need a MIDI cable to connect BeatBuddy “MIDI In” port with “MIDI Out” of your other device in question.

Most basic functions are already covered (you can always refer to user manual to see the list). BeatBuddy firmware is very likely to enhance over time - consider it more like a work in progress. So even if You find something is lacking, most likely You will find it in a new firmware version.

As far as the specific question goes - will BeatBuddy be fully controlled by DMC-8D or not - I would like to hear about that from You! At least be sure, that tap tempo feature will work :slight_smile:

What i wanna do is just ONE stomp to stop the drum instead TWO. and scroll up and down the folder to find a song. If we only can Scroll down the files, what if we miss it then we have to bend down to press UP DOWN ARROWS on the Beatbuddy,

Hi,
if i´ve understood your second ´want ´ correctly, be aware that in the manual it says you can use and program external foot-switches to various parameters. One of them, as described in the manual, is song advance with one button and song back with the other. This is one of the first things I immediately looked for when reading the manual. What would be the point of a footpedal unit that you had to lean down to constantly or have to sit on a table next to you to access the songs with your hands.? It would defeat the whole idea.
btw i don´t have my BB yet - I´m still waiting for it to be sent to Europe. So this is not a thing I´ve actually done yet, so if all else fails , read the manual.

jomo

Actually, even in that unlikely case of “all else fails”, the content is structured so you have 6-12 songs in a folder and navigation loops itself in that folder, so you can just press forward until your desired song appears again.

This may be a better approach as you could employ second footswitch pedal for another feature, rather than using both solely for content navigation.

I just called Matt from Disaster Area, He ordered one as well. He told me that once gets the beatbuddy, he will work on it to see if it can be controlled by his MIDI controllers.

I’d settle for a MIDI string to BB that would select a song. My song set would be in an Onsong app (digital songbook) on my ipad which can send MIDI each time you select a new song. So all MiDI devices get set for a song just by selecting that song in the Onsong digital song book.

David just confirmed they will be looking into adding this feature - http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59.

I forgot to say something about this back at the time. Still feel the need to now I do. Anyway… please tell me that this band does at least one ridiculously loud song about a boy-being meeting a girl-being beneath a silvery moon which then explodes for no adequately explored reason.

Being able to control the song selection from Onsong would be fantastic. It will be great when we get this upgrade in firmware plus the beatmanger software finally released. Looking forward to that combination. It will save me having to look for a different foot pedal to manage the song selection in BB since I already have an air pedal to control Onsong.

Just one thought … how do I connect ipad (with ONsong) to BB? I know I will have to use the Apple camera connection kit, but from there, how do I get it into the PS2 connection?

You need a midi connection iPad to BB, and must purchase MIDI for Onsong. I’m using an iRig MIDI adapter. You said you have the air-turn pedals for Onsong. In Onsong configure pedal for MIDI On/Off toggle. Hook iPad to iRig MiDI, to BB. You can now start or stop BB with one tap of the air-turn pedal.

Future, when BB can accept MIDI to select the song, you will need to go into each Onsong song and insert the correct MIDI string in the song title metadata. Then when you select a song in Onsong the BB will be made ready to play the correct song (which you saved in BB with the correct tempo and drum set). You will not need to make set folders on the BB, they would reside in Onsong.

This sounds great. Just need to be patient now until the BB manager software and this new feature is available. Something to look forward to.