Latest firmware update - plus massive issues with my pedal

Yup see below. Thats what I did. Still has all the same issues. It’s got to be cuz the foot switch thinks it’s latching when it shouldn’t be. Thank you for your reply suggestion very much though.

I just tried the firmware and when I ran the foot switch detector for the first time, it displayed “Latching” so I ran the detector a second time and it showed “Momentary”; all other functions now seem to be working properly.

I unplugged and replugged the power off and on, plugged the foot switch in and out at least 25 times since last night when my Beat Buddy apocalypse happened. It always says latching. But thank you for trying! I am going to my gig tonight with the pedal on the floor, which sucks to bend over to get the next song set up, but I’ll do a lot of my gig with just me and keys tonight so I don’t have to. In my gear graveyard I found a 15 year old sustain pedal from yamaha keyboard that actually shows up as momentary and will set to pause/unpause that will help with at least the gig tonight. Wish me luck!

Since I didn’t see it mentioned in your reply to me, did you run the foot switch detector immediately after the first one displayed “Latching”?

Anyway, hope you have a good gig and good luck. Hope you’ll let us know what it takes to get everything working with your BeatBuddy (BB) system!

Yes I did over and over. Still latching.

At some point in time the BeatBuddy footswitch had once been of a latching type and later was changed to momentary. Is there a highly unlikely remote chance you might have an older one that is latching? Did the ‘whole new setup’ that Singular sent include the footswitch or just the BeatBuddy?

You mentioned the Yamaha sustain pedal that works. If you have a sustain pedal input on your keyboard, try the Yamaha pedal and see if that sustains correctly and then try the BB footswitch and see if it also sustains when depressed and releases when the switch is let go (only one switch on the footswitch will do this). The TRS cable should work OK to do this (i think), but a TS cable could be tried as well.

My first BB and FS was in April, by June both were having bad issues they sent me a new BB and FS in June. Less than 2 months now and its all the same issues again. I assume it was the newer FS, and it used to say momentary, but now only latching.

I got through my gig last night using it less and letting it just run a beat and not do any fills or anything, On occasion I would press it for a fill out of habit and it would get stuck in transition mode and I’d keep pressing until it would eventually come out of it or I stop and start it, all this while still singing, playing keys on my right and a left hand keybass. I am looking at the Alesis SR18 setup. Maybe Beat Buddy is better for a home musician or for practicing and recording demos. I need a live on stage reliable piece of gear. That said I’m into this $500 and support did say he might send me a new footswitch maybe third time will be the charm.

Hey there Hollie … Tried something with my BB with the ‘Footswitch Detector’ function. When it came up ‘Press and Release Footswitch #1’, I mashed both buttons at the same time (Boss FS-5u’s). This resulted in the BB showing ‘Pedal Type: Latching’. This also hosed up the settings I had with the momentary button settings and the footswitches did not do what they were supposed to do as originally set. Switch #1 was originally enabled for ‘Main Pedal’, but became disabled in the ‘Latched’ setting.
Not sure if this is at all relevant unless you are accidentally mashing both switches when doing the switch detection or holding Sw#1 down while then pressing Sw#2 which also gives a ‘latch’ switch type. The detector works OK so long as I press and release Sw#1 and then press and release Sw#2 when prompted.

I do have an Alesis SR16 and it’s OK. The BB replaced it. I had thought about the SR18, but not sure it would have been any better than the SR16.

1 Like

I was doing 1 at a time, but it was also stuck and would never respond that I had already mashed #1. Thats good feedback though and thank you!. It’s maddening.

I had an original SR16 and and MMT-8 sequencer in the 80’s!

Just so you can see I’m not crazy here are 2 videos showing the crazy issues I’m having. Support is treating me well though and we are working on a solution.

LATCHING instead of Momentary has now become NO PEDAL DETECTED

I’m guessing you left the firmware at 3.9.9 as the foot detector menu is different than 4.1.0 and it refers to left and right rather than #1 and #2(?) If you try a ‘Restore Default Settings’ in the ‘Settings’ menu I wonder if that would get you back to where things worked the way they were intended and give a fresh starting point?
Yup, I still have an old relic MMT-8!

I did update to 4.1 to see if it would fix the issues, but it didn’t help, so I reverted back just to see if THAT helped. Restore default settings does nothing. Meaning it doesn’t restore anything. I believe I am getting a replacement. Its so clearly broke there is no fix for this. Thank you so much for your time and comments.

Do you have a simple ohm meter, so you can measure if the switches actually work or if the cable is broken? The problem might not be in the BB but in the switches or the cable, they might have a faulty batch of switches in a series of footswitches.

I had also thought the switches or cable might be the problem, but the 1st video of the BB not working correctly without the footswitches connected seemed point to an issue with the pedal itself.
Was kinda wondering if the firmware got corrupted somehow to the SD card or during the install(?)

Well the company is going to send me a new foot switch after I send the old one back. And maybe they did get a bad batch of faulty foot switches. But support as well as myself are blown away that I had the same issue on two different pedals where it gets stuck in transition. And I did try several cables and I don’t have a meter to check.

Thanks guys!

I was wondering if there was some type of corruption with the SD card but when I had these issues before on the first pedal I even uninstalled and reinstalled beat buddy manager just to make sure there wasn’t anything getting sent from my computer that can mess it upm. it’s just quite a mystery!

This goes to everyone that’s been helping on this thread. Do you all make very custom folders? Cuz that’s the one thing I’ve done with both of my pedals was I went through and moved beats into one folder thats all the ones I use and I also select Different Drum Sets than the default. I like to use percussion a lot instead of a standard drum set. Since it allows you to do those things I’m assuming that it should not mess it up but I’m curious if all of you are doing very custom folders or renaming the Beats into something you like.

Custom folders should not cause a problem. I use custom folders for everything. The rules are 1) No more than 99 songs in a folder. 2) Do not use a period punctuations marks in song or folder names. Apostrophes are OK. A common problem crops up when folks use a period in an abbreviation like for Mr, Mrs, St, etc. 3) Always use BB Manager to move songs between folders. Export and then import songs, if necessary to make copies. Do not drag songs into new folders using the computer’s OS. Do it all within BB Manager. 4) Custom drum sets or drum sets other than the original ones that came with a factory beat normally will be OK. Custom kits recommended for particular OPB songs will sometimes produce odd results in playback of factory beats.

The problems that you are experiencing do not appear to be BB Manager issues. They seem to be related to hardware or firmware. I would try using a switching pedal other than a singular pedal to see of the pedal detection appears to work correctly. A Boss FS-6 would be a good one to try, if you have one available. The Digitech 3 button switch, FS-3X, also works with the BB, although only two of its buttons will work. These, like the BB footswitch, use a TRS (stereo) cable.

Good luck with this. I hope you get it resolved.

Thank for the edit, Persist.

1 Like

Thank you so much for that info. I did try an old yamaha keyboard sustain pedal, not like a piano pedal the little square box kind and it would would work just to play /pause.

I import songs via BB manager.
I do name them :

A - Bang - perc
B- Last Day - perc

And on — I save the drum kit I want and the tempo.

Then if I have another song I want that same beat on, I import AGAIN and name it like I have the others.

All are moved into a folder I renamed 'beats I use" I have 29 songs.

That way I can move quickly to what beat I want when.

I also bought premium beats from Singular but used only 1 song or so out of a particular collection.

Do you see an issue with what I am doing? I’ve had 2 pedals mess up and it seems clear to me that the features of BB is that you can customize. Worked great until it didn’t.

I am going to buy the Boss from Amazon to test it.

THANKS