Loading midi songs etc

Hi Folks

As a complete newbie to this kinda thing I just wanted to know if there are any step by step FAQ’s for creating my own midi drum parts and importing them into BB. There seem to be lots of files available on here for downloading songs to BB but I can’t seem to find any instructions (maybe I’m not looking hard enough).

Thanks

I have a few posts, but they aren’t organized in any way. Typically I create songs with drums and basslines together, so if you want just drums it’s alot easier.

That being said, if you already have the midi, it’s very easy to make the song. My typical process is to go find a decent sounding midi for a song I want. Look for patterns in the arrangement. Cut it into parts that make sense. From there you use BB Manager to arrange the midi snippets into songs. Intro, main loop, sometimes fills for other parts, sometimes multiple main loops, and sometimes an outro.

My favorite ones are simple: Intro, Main loops is verse+chorus, which can loop back to do verse+chorus again, and maybe an outro. You can use a fill to do a bridge, or do a transition to another main loop.

Check out my rendition of Little Sister, which accommodates both Elvis’ version and Dwight Yoakum’s version.

As you can see in my pdf cheat sheet, if you want to play the Elvis version, you basically hit start, let it loop through the 3 verse/chorus loops, and trigger the outro. Dwight put in a solo section for his awesome lead guitarist between each verse/chorus, so you just hit a fill to trigger the solo loop. (I invented my own notation for bb commands in my cheat sheet. [bb:tap] is hit a fill.)

In order to hear the basslines, you need to use this drumkit created by Guitar Stu, which has bass notes encoded in it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nyaqzk3iji283d/Drums%20with%20Bass.DRM?dl=0

The cool thing is that if you only sometimes want bass, just switch the kit to a regular kit, and the bass notes wont play.
[ATTACH=full]1289[/ATTACH]

Here is what the song looks like in BB Manager. IC_r1 is the intro, which is basically a count off, and the hit part (DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUNT!) and the first chorus. VC2_r1 is my main loop. 12bars_r1 is a 12 bar measure that is the solo, which is trigger by an optional fill. O_r1 is the last line of the chorus repeated a couple times, along with the outro hits like the intro one.

You can even extract the midi, and examine it in any midi editor.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated! I can see I’ve got a long way to go with this :slight_smile:

By the way, is there a way to turn the reverb off or at least down?

No, the “reverb” is the natural acoustics captured during the sampling process. You can turn down the volume of the individual instruments in a drumkit.

Thanks :slight_smile: Not going to be much good for recording then I guess :frowning:

Don’t try to do too many things with the Beat Buddy until you use it more and get used to some of the functions. It’s an entirely different “Ball Game” than with other pedals. There is a lot you can do with this pedal but first, study the BB Manager Manual and the pedal Manual. There is a person in this forum that has created some good video tutorials that will give you some valuable information. His nickname is Psalm 40 and he knows a lot about the setup and operations of the Beat Buddy and mainly the Beat Buddy Manager which is quite detailed. Don’t let any of this scare you because the pedal is awesome and it will do a lot of things for you once you learn how it operates. I am still learning a lot myself.
Sincerely, Fingerstylepicker.