Logic Pro X group

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I am still finding my way around the new Forum, please direct me to the right place if so. Can we please start a sub group for Logic Pro X (LPX) users building beats for BB. I have been learning how to use Logic Pro X to create instruments and beats for BB but I have a lot to learn. I have tried several different software apps to build beats and most have been awfully bad, including, sadly, the built in BB Manager tool. So I use Beatbuilder for simple beats and tweaks to short midi sequences and LPX for complete one press songs and setting up new beat sequences. LPX is great, but so complicated! Any hope that we could get a group together here to swap tips? I find nothing else online for people using LPX to create beats. I will post a couple of the songs I have made to see what others in this community think.

1 Like

I’d be down for that.

What’t the best way to start? I’m happy to post an LPX file with a narrative about how I built it, just removing the original sound track it followed for copyright reasons.
I have some questions which then follow and some weird things I found out whilst recording .wav files for drumsets.

perhaps Persist might look in? I wish there were a way to tag people in posts.

I guess just post the LPX file, and then give your questions/comments.

1 Like

I think you can tag users with the at sign and their name e.g., @Tim_Williams

Thanks, yet another mystery solved!

Depending on how large the file and the format, you may not be able to post it to this forum. If you’d like, I’ve worked up a text as well as a video “how to” for BB users using LPX. Give me a couple of days and I’ll make it available—will probably post to the old forum as I still have hope that they will complete the forum conversion by migrating the Resources section :dragon_face: Maybe between all contributors, we can build a single file that takes it from the basics to the advanced techniques.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, you’re way ahead of me I am sure. I’ll upload my example in the next few days anyway, it’ll serve as a “how not to do it” for others!

sorry I haven’t done anything about this guys. BTW has the file size issue been solved yet?

I’ve posted 1-2Mb files but not sure the forum will take a 75Mb file yet. I’m testing it now.

Just tried to upload a large file and this is the message: “Sorry, that file is too big (maximum size is 4096kb). Why not upload your large file to a cloud sharing service, then share the link?”

:tired_face:

I use Logic Pro X to create beats for the Beatbuddy.

However, the first thing I did was to take all of the samples from BB and load these into Logic Pro X via EXPS24. This takes time but is worth it. All mapped with reference to the BB.

Then in Logic Pro X, I/you can create drum midi files using the BB samples as a guide. Removes any hidden surprises when playing back on pedal.

Export the midi file to BB Manager, select the drum kit, tempo and job done.

For more advanced users you can compress, eq etc current samples and create your own sounding kit. Then export the new samples and create a new sounding kit in BB. I did this as I wanted a thick sounding seventies snare sound. I also cut some low mids from the hi hats and cymbals. Touch of reverb added as well to add some depth.

Lots of fun. Just have to remember that BB is a sampler. You can do a hell of a lot with this pedal.

Kind regards

Rodney : )

Oh! Also have to point out that messing around with samples created by others is for personal use only. Respect : )

1 Like

Hey John,
Great stuff. Any way you could post your exs mappings?

I was thinking of creating drum lane configurations so one could use I.e. the logic step editor for easy editing. Those could be by BB drumset so you straight know if it works and in which set etc.

Also: do you have experience with humanise and other midi transform in regards to what still sounds good on BeatBuddy?

Let’s exchange some ideas and make each other’s life easier

Best

Could you detail how to do this action?

Posting this here, as it is the explanation for building drum kits in Logic. See posts 16 & 18.

1 Like