Loopers compatible with the BeatBuddy

i vjust want to be able to sync the loopof the looper with the beat of the beatbuddy, do you think it will work? what other functions am i losing? other thing, the cables of the beat buddy and the boss are different, is there no problem only using one midi in or out? sorry about the trouble, im stiil a newbie on my beatbuddy and ive only realised the problem it is synchronizing the beat with a ditto looper…

Aeros adapts to MIDI sync but only on blank songs, a song that is recorded to cannot be changed from its recorded tempo.

We use re-syncing to keep the Aeros in time as the song plays back, I imagine you’re referring to how many loopers end up “drifting” from the master clock.

You only gain functionality! There is no loss in function from moving to the Aeros, it is specifically designed to work with the BB and that relationship will constantly improve over time.

I was indeed. But actually it’s something I see a lot in day job, completely separate from music (lots of UART and radio Comms though, which are similar). In embedded devices you can never rely on long term synchronisation between independent clocks, even if they are nominally the same.

The trouble i think you’ve got coming that I referred to is the fact I’ve seen you say a couple of times that (a) internally you are using reciprocal time (BPM) rather than linear time as your unit for tempo (b) you’re using integers of that unit. I’d be delighted if I’m wrong and it’s just the UI values that are integer.

If not… The trouble you’re gonna have is when the clock in the beat buddy (or other master) is different enough (simply because of crystal tolerances and temperature changes) from the clock in the Aeros that 67 BPM in the master measures as 67.5 BPM in the slave, and then gets rounded to 68 BPM. (Auto quantise and aeros-as-master will also be weird)

I’m not actually worried for the product though… They’re just problems your devs will have to face. But they’ll face them and fix them because you have to.

1 Like

Headrush Looperboard is compatible.
Just setup Midi external clock receive.

• It syncronizes BPM
  • Starts loop record/play
  • Stops loop

After the next wifi release, only the UI should be in integer. Unless you use the screen +/- and tap tempo, the BPM should not be rounded to the nearest integer. We did a fix a couple of weeks ago for that and it will be applied in the next release. (available in the Lock tracks alpha)

The Aeros should stay in sync with an external Midi clock “forever”. In a case where the internal clock of the BB and the Aeros are drifting, we are always realigning the tracks with the incoming Midi Clock.

I was intrigued by their 2.0 release and wanted to see for myself what it brought to the table. Needless to say, I had a serious back-ache after bending down to access all those features there. Personally, I think the feature set is cool but I was not fully impressed with the looping mechanisms and found myself spending more time configuring than actually making music. The size kinda throws me off, too. I also found their time stretching settings confusing and not very sonically pleasing.

I think my biggest problem was my headphone cord kept hitting the screen and causing things to happen because of the placement of the headphone jack, making home use less convenient for me.

2 Likes

You can be right regarding the amount of the set parameters and the size and weight of the equipment. Before, it had a looper with fewer buttons and therefore needed a big midi controller (Behringer FCB1010) to avoid having to dance when playing live. Of course, it’s just a personal preference. Regarding the parameterization complexity, I built 4 presets that cover all my needs so, no more parametrization for now. As you said, the headphone jack placement in the middle back isn’t good. I need a big headphone cord to avoid unwanted interferences.

1 Like

I’ve recently found that the Hotone Cybery FX loop footswitch is MIDI programmable and has a Beatbuddy preset

I don’t own one - I’m just going by the documentation and the presets they have on their Android app

1 Like

@rDin Can you confirm that this workaround works with the new RC-500 and the BB?

Electro Harmonix 1440 looper is compatible with the beatbuddy. Listen to start and stop from BB. The only downside is that it will use fixed 4/4 and 3/4 beat

Please do not double-post. Your duplicate has been removed. Thank you for understanding.

Hi I have an infinity too are you able to save the beat buddy tempo when you re call a song with the infinity? how do you go about syncing it? thanks

I use the Boss Rc-5 with the Beatbuddy. I have the Boss as the slave on the midi clock sync. It works great.

2 Likes

Jam man solo xt will this work with the beat buddy?

Hey! can you tell me what cable you use? I am having a hard time finding what I need. I had an RC-3 for years and upgraded to the RC-5 just for the sync function.

Thanks

Amazon.com: BOSS 5ft / 1.5m Angled MIDI to 3.5mm Straight TRS Cable (MBMIDI-5-35): Musical Instruments

You need one or two of these depending on how you’re routing your midi signal. You would only need one cable if you’re using the Beatbuddy as the master clock and the Boss as the slave. Beatbuddy midi out to Boss midi in.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that the above assumes you already have the Beatbuddy midi adapter:

1 Like

You can easely replace the micro Sdcard, you just need to write the .bin image of the looper on your new one with a software like ImageUSB . You need a class 10 micro sd card (I speak about the Infinity v1 ). About preset change you cannot do it with the footswitch (maybe on the V2) but I think no .

Anyone use an EHX 1440 or 22500 with Beat Buddy and Midi Maestro? I’m wanting to use MM to control BB and a Looper using some prerecorded loops to trigger. Thanks!

Has anybody found a workaround for the new RC 500 mastering to the BeatBuddy. Got it to work with my RC 300, but no joy so far with the RC 500. Halp.