Aeros firmware 3.2.x

Hi there fellow Aerosnauts!

EDIT (Dec 13, 2020): Firmware version 3.2.12 has been published as an official non-beta version and is available to download over WIFI.

We have updated the Aeros Manual which can be downloaded here . We have also made a printer friendly version of the manual (no dark backgrounds that use up your ink)

The full changelog is below. If anyone discovers any bugs/issues, please post about it (nicely) below :slight_smile:

Make sure your Aeros is close to your WIFI router for a strong connection (using your phoneā€™s hotspot feature as a wifi network and placing your phone near the Aeros works well)
If you have trouble downloading over WIFI , you can update with the SD card (note: the SD card must be between 4-32 GB in capacity): : Download this file , rename the downloaded file (currently named aeros-3.2.12.bin) to aeros.bin and then place it on an SD card and into your Aeros before turning it on.

IMPORTANT: Turn off your Aeros BEFORE putting in the SD card. Putting in the SD card while Aeros is on and then immediately turning it off can corrupt the firmware file.

To go back to the previous official firmware, use the same SD card update method to install the last official version 3.1.18

Firmware 3.2.12 Changlog

• Locked tracks: A locked track will continue to play even when a song part is changed. To lock a track: On the touchscreen, press the track clock circle. You will see a white square appear around the circle, indicating that the track is locked. Once tracks are recorded, you can lock tracks hands free by going to the mixer page, holding down the lower left button to change that button command to ā€˜lockā€™. We will add the capability to pre-lock tracks hands free before recording them in the next update.
  • Locked track rules: In 2x2, you can only lock the top track. In 6x6 you can lock up to 5 tracks and you can only lock a track if the tracks before it are locked. You can only lock tracks before recording a second song part. If tracks are locked before recording them, you must record all locked tracks before changing song parts. You can only unlock a track if the tracks after it are not locked and you have not recorded a second song part.
  • Pressing the last bottom track circle on the touchscreen opens the mixer page.
  • Allow clearing the last part of a song by pressing the song part dot on the left side of the touchscreen when the looper is stopped.

Fixes:

• Fixed tempo rounding by using floating-point instead of integer
  • Fixed tempo shift when MIDI start from BB is used
  • Fixed pending recording on next part getting canceled when switching song parts with both BeatBuddy and MIDI Maestro
  • Fixed double tap to mute if overdub layer undone
  • Added user download test in Diagnostics screen
  • Added error handling and Cancel button when downloading firmware from Wifi
  • Lock user in Update page while downloading to prevent errors
  • Operating System upgrade to improve WIFI connection stability
6 Likes

Awesome!! Iā€™ll test it tonight! :smiley:

Are those locked track rules just temporary? Will they become more relaxed in future versions? As-is, theyā€™d preclude a number of ways to build up locked tracks.

1 Like

This is better than integer BPM, but floating point has itā€™s own set of problems in computing ā€“ particularly when you start doing division. Itā€™s unlikely you really need floating point for this application. What you want is fixed pointā€¦ For example: measure time not BPM; measure in integer microseconds not seconds.

1 Like

Great job! Looking forward to testing this out.

The delete last part feature is greatly appreciated!

Hoping this a sign of more hands free features to come using the left-hold button

Some minor issues:

• When I updated, the song I was working no was no longer loaded and there was a new Song 1. Might have updated before saving the last song, but not sure. The song list was alphabetical and I think it was sorted by date previously. No biggee.
  • At some point after playing with all the above new features and bug fixes pressing the stop button stopped immediately, nit at the end of the loop. Not reproducible. Possible I might have had a very short loop and not realized it.
  • If you undo or redo a muted track also umutes. This seems wrong. Pretty minor but its reasonable to want to undo/redo one or two times, get that ready ā€¦ and then later unmute on your timing.
    • Also when the unmute is queued up until the loop start it says ā€œCancel Muteā€ and ā€œPlayingā€. Should really say ā€œUnMutingā€. (when you mute it says ā€œMutingā€). This pretty minor.
  • Pressing the track or song part circles/dots operate as on release buttons ā€¦ but they provide no indication that they are pressed (like the other buttons that invert when pressed). Minor, butā€¦
  • Consider making the last part dot button a trash (or other) icon when stopped to indicate that it can be used to delete the part. This feature will be impossible to discover otherwise.
  • Would be good to have the delete last part feature
    • be accessible while playing any other part (and not just stopped).
    • be triggered hands free
  • Press and holding left button in mixer does noting until release. This makes it hard to discover and to know when youā€™ve held it long enough. Action of this hold should be when the hold timer has elapsed, not on release.
  • Not sure how much Iā€™ll really use the lock feature. If I did, it would be nice to have a bit more control over it (e.g., keep it locked only for some parts, allow locking and unlocking after other parts have been recorded (you just really need to make sure there is space on the screen for it on each part, right?) or at the very least allow this after all part afterwards have been undone (since e canā€™t clear on the fly) . Was surprised to realize that the locked track takes up on of slots in each part; makes perfect sense, but I didnā€™t like it.

Pretty solid so farā€¦

2 Likes

Download in progress!! So cool! Hash please !

[Updated after download]:

sha512: b6346159448c549a6d9097aad43bdc75b6bb205ddfdfb1eabfaa0e04794747d433d057e2e7930a5b1a7418bc125a9f9d5c4e28caf0730cf6240446b0d40dc9ec  aeros-3.2.2.bin
sha1: 6655c7bdbaf92070d458fd12908fe56ef1f696af  aeros-3.2.2.bin
md5: 9b0fec27686c705da5d7bac910fb50c4  aeros-3.2.2.bin
1 Like

Cool ! Everything seems to work as specified. Nevertheless the rules to allow specifying one track as locked seem a bit out of nowhereā€¦

Ok I understand that whatever the mode (2x2 or 6x6) you allow n-1 tracks to be locked. Totally legit, after all whatā€™s the point if everything is locked.

But when it comes to which track can we lock, this rule you mention makes particularly no sense:

Question is why the first consecutive tracks ?? Sounds really like an implementation limitation more than a technical/physical limitation. Actually if the system is able to lock one (or more ) track, what is the justification to force me to use this one more than this one ?

Why am I insisting on that ? It is related to the flow of a live performance.

If I want to record something using my DAW, I would probably (although not forced to) record first the drums, then bass, then guitars and voicesā€¦ But actually the order I record makes no difference. People will only listen to the resulting mix.

When I perform live, itā€™s a bit different, I will probably not perform in that order because the audience would probably be gone before I end recording the drums :smile:, I would probably start by recording a guitar to establish the tune (a track I donā€™t want to lock as changing along song parts), then record some tracks around (percussive guitar part, pseudo-bass using the guitarā€¦) and will want to lock the latters.

So with the rules you have defined this is still possible I just need to record my guitar as track 2 and then the track/overdubs I want to lock as track 1ā€¦

So ok, it just means I need to lose the habit to record the track 1 firstā€¦ which is not really intuitive, but still doable as recording the track 2 is directly accessible in this 2X2 mode.

Now if I talk 6x6, this becomes a bit weirderā€¦ If I take the same use case, it means that I have to switch to a subsequent track beforehand, and unfortunately, recording to a subsequent track, is not directly accessible in 6x6ā€¦ For me, that renders that flow far too complex, if not unusable.

As a conclusion, for me everything is fine except that you have definitely to find a way to get rid of the limitation of the first consecutive tracks only to be eligible to the locking mechanism. I understand you have probably decided for this behavior because of other impacts I do not clearly see. Please do not hesitate to share them with us. Pretty sure we can come to a solution.

6 Likes

Hi and thanks for providing lock tracks finally.

My very simple scenario als an acoustic guitarist: First record a rhythm part (beat box or taps on guitar body) and then perform a song with two or more parts over this.

I tested 2x2 mode only, whitout any additonal device. Song settings are Sync Tracks: Start&length, Quantize to Measure: Off.

Obviously lock track function exists and works. However, Iā€™m not able to change parts IN SYNC after recording the rhythm basis. Change from one part to the other is always (*) done immediately (on release of the button) instead of at the end of the bar. Could not change this behaviour through setting changes. Under these cricumstances the lock track function is useless for me. Still missing the very basics! Hard to take this :frowning:

(*) While recording track 2 (either in part 1 or in part 2), change is done only at the end of the bar. This is needed in playback mode too!

While waiting for lock tracks I havenā€™t been working with the Aeros for months now. Do I do something wrong?
Did I miss some restrictions regarding lock tracks?
Wasnā€™t there something like auto quantize connected to lock tracks?

@LaurentB: You seem to be pretty happy with this feature. Are you working with external clock or internal click from Aeros only?

Iā€™m with @LaurentB in his conclusion: those weird lock ordering restrictions seem like theyā€™ve come from done weird internal implementation issues rather than genuine technical limits (if I had to guess, it sounds like developers have used a start and end pair for deciding which are ā€œlockedā€ when it clearly should be a bitmap or similar). Hopefully they are just temporary because this is alpha.

Even this is, I think, an unnecessary limitation. Okay, it sounds like there is no reason to do it. But thatā€™s not a technical limitation so why prevent it? I can think of one reason you should have free control over the locked tracks, even if that means all of themā€¦ Because intermediate states are sometimes invalid, but theyā€™re still intermediate steps.

Letā€™s say I currently have tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 locked. Oopsā€¦I meant to have 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 locked. I want to lock 6 and unlock 1. If locking all isnā€™t allowed then the user is forced to do unlock 5, lock 6; when they might find lock 6, unlock 5 to be the more convenient order.

4 Likes

HI @popa, I am not really sure I understand your problem there. I have the same settings (Song settings are Sync Tracks: Start&length, Quantize to Measure: Off) yet when I change of part, it occurs as expected at the end of the loop.

Did you check the global setting named ā€œchange song part/stop songā€ and is it set to ā€œEnd Of Loopā€ ?

It is easy to miss, I already mentioned in a dedicated topic that I find the configuration split between song level and global level both irrelevant for some of the flags and globally not flexible enough.

Letā€™s say half happy (a bit more actually but see what I say in my conclusion and the previous post from @kingofthejaffacakes . Basically we talk about an alpha, and its purpose is exactly to discuss those kind of points), but itā€™s already a huge move towards the right direction. Well done to the dev teamā€¦ I donā€™t use (yet) any external device with my Aeros.

1 Like

Yup, I agree that the end-user should be able to do whatever he wants, even if myself I donā€™t see the point of locking all tracks as it would basically void the possibility to have multiple partsā€¦

But I fully agree with you the point is not what I think. The point is as long as something is not a technical problem there is no reason to prevent it. The more you let those doors open the more you open your system, and I you may eventually have some clever user twisting the system to come out with something new you (or me obviously) didnā€™t think about initially and that will totally rock.

2 Likes

My guess is the restrictions mean they donā€™t have to worry about making sure there is a free slot in the later tracks and no gaps in the used tracks. Suspect Aeros has a very direct mapping of tracks in there code for the UI and control plane with some assumptions about no gaps in track numbers. So likely nothing that could not be fixed without some thought and effort.

Idea: Always display the locked tracks at the top no matter what (and let any track be locked/unlocked as long as there are free tracks in other parts.). Easier said than done.

Doesnā€™t seem to be a logical reason (versus design/implementation reason) to require this.

Iā€™m sure youā€™re right. Makes me wish it was open source, Iā€™m sure community help would sort these sorts of things out quickly. People tend to be willing to spend a lot of time to scratch their own itches.

2 Likes

Thanks @LaurentB, I forgot the Change Song Part setting!
And yes, I share your opinion. Global settings are not flexible enough.

You are welcome.

1 Like

Please support this important change request on song settings in connection with lock tracks! Thanks.

A few bugs:

• Missing partial audio from playback of song with different midi tempo than sync.
    • Loaded another song that was previously saved that had 164 bpm. BB was at 84bpm.
    • This is really two related issues, both important to fix :
      • Missing audio playback upon bpm mismatch
      • Lack of a warning when the bpm is mismatched.
  • Shrinking Waveform
    • Not sure how i got this, but he waveform in my track (6x6 mode I think) kept on getting shorter and shorter. May have been related to repeated clearing of the song (which may have included changing of song settings). After going to another song and coming back it was fine.
  • Song Saved to no Location Warning:
    • No idea how this popped up, but when editing a song after changing the name, there was a popup that said something like ā€œone of SDCard or Internal must be selectedā€. Tried to reproduce this with various sequences of pressing the setting buttons, but was not able to get anything other than a standard radio button exclusive choice behavior. Clearly someone coded the warning to to cover some case that should never happen. Suggests someone looking at the code saw/smelled something. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Perhaps a race condition or visibility issue. Not a big deal unless itā€™s a sign of worse things to come.

If not fixed in this release, please track at least the first two as explicit bugsā€¦

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t get any tracks to lock. I tried pressing on the clock of the first track, and I looked in the Mixer, and I couldnā€™t get EXIT to change into LOCK (or if you mean the top button, that didnā€™t change to LOCK either). I pressed on all the clocks, nothing happened. Also next part was bit strange, because it contained all of the parts, and I couldnā€™t get rid of them. But I had no white squares around any circles. Updates says I have version 3.2.2.

This was all on a fresh song, I pressed the + button, and it said Song_3, so I used that. Recorded the first track, pressed clock, it didnā€™t lock. Recorded the second track, pressed the clock on the first track, it didnā€™t lock. Started a new Part, still couldnā€™t get a square around the clock to appear.

Also track 3 vanished. It still played, and saved, but the image of the sample vanished.

Desperately need midi cc implementation for locking tracks, is that going to happen soon or will we have to wait for the Hands Free update.
Everything so far has been functioning well. I am a keyboard player and have the Aeros on a stand and use a foot pedal Morningstar MC8 for all controls.
Thanks for all your hard work.

3 Likes

After turning it off, and editing in Reaper, and then going back to it, it has started working now.