Make overdubbing act more like recording

Does anyone else think it would be great if we had a setting that made overdubbing behave more like recording in terms of the measure’s beginning and ending? You can’t queue up overdubbing or ending overdubbing, and it is causing timing issues for me, making overdubbing something I don’t like messing with. @DavidPackouz, how difficult would this be?

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve been actually wondering why sometimes the recording just starts immediately and not from the first beat :slight_smile: So this explains that but I would definitely use an option to sync overdubbing to full bars, if that would be possible.

1 Like

Yes. Both ways can be useful.

IMHO, by default the looper should be consistent across all actions. If the user wants to change settings so that overdubs are different, that’s an advanced feature, IMHO.

Ideally there’s a way to make the choice of queued versus immediate overdubs on the fly. For example, I usually want overdubs queued so I can get into the groove before it overdubs, but every once in a while I want to fix up a gap and not wait for the measure.

Big challenge is that SS hasn’t mastered secondary actions via the feet. It’s not easy, but it’s critical. This is a $600, elite device that needs to be polished, intuitive, and provide lots of features via 4 buttons and a scroll wheel.

2 Likes

Yep, a setting to do both would be great, and I agree, I usually want to queue up overdubbing and have it synced to the measure.

1 Like

A setting would help, but also need some way to do it just once, preferably on the fly via a footpress.

That gets hard as Aeros is having a hard time making all the basic features accessible via footswitch. Perhaps in addition to the setting, there’s a command that changes the behavior of the next overdub.

1 Like

This can be done as a setting.

The reason overdub is designed to be immediate now is because it’s a layer on a previously recorded track, so the start and stop length of the overdub isn’t critical to keep it in time with the rest of the music like recording the first layer of a track where the track length is being set. With overdubbing you can press the overdub button but you don’t have to start playing until you’re ready, same with stopping overdubbing.

2 Likes

Bonus points if we can change the setting “live”.

1 Like

Hey there, I wanted to add that there are now ways to make this happen.

1. While recording an overdub, set up another track to start recording. You must be in a mode that has a set-up time for this to work.
  2. If change song part/ stop all is set to End of Loop, overdubbing will continue until the part stops/ changes.
  3. If in quantized mode, overdub will always wait until at least the next measure when receiving next part, next track, stop commands.

Are you referring to a mode where overdubbing always acts like recording? If so, it would not ber very high priority as of now, but we could look into it.

Hi @BrennanSingularSound -

Is your last post on this still accurate? No direct way to do what the OP, @JaredSmythe, asked for? If so, I’d like to add another vote for this feature, understanding it would be low priority.

Note that I just got an aeros and am quite liking it so far. A primary factor in my decision to go with Singular Sound was areos’s sync/queuing ability. So I was a bit disappointed when I realized that functionality didn’t apply to overdub (and that I couldn’t see any setting to enable this, which is why I’m here).

Then I was less disappointed once I realized that overdub doesn’t start overwriting itself at the loop seam, but rather merges the first overdub loop to base and starts a new overdub layer. But you still need to cleanly cut off your playing at the exact right time, or you’ll end up having to undo the next overdub layer started once the seem is crossed.

That’s not a huge deal but it is a bit more cognitive load while using the looper, which is new for me. I expect I’d notice it less with practice, but I’m not necessarily going to be a frequent/regular loop pedal user, so that could take a while.

The suggestions you make above are useful, but of course are not a direct or perfect implementation of the requested feature (apologies for asking for perfection :wink: ) That said, I’ll describe below how I understand them in case I’m missing something - I’d appreciate further info if I’m interpreting them incorrectly.

1. I see how this can work, but it would seem to require extra tap dancing if you don’t want to actually record another track starting on the next measure (once you’ve enabled a second track to record/overdub, so as to create a pseudo-queue-up for stopping the overdub on the current track, you then have to go and stop the record/overdub on the other track and undo it).

2. I’ve not messed around with parts much yet, but this would seem not usable if you’re not intending to change parts at the end of the overdub, right? I guess the message here would be use option #1 if you’re not changing parts and option #2 if you are.

3. This seems to be the same as #1 and #2 except with midi commands, right? So would these have the same limitations as above… Unless you’re playing a particular song that you’ve bothered to set up some sort of midi automation for and planned out exactly when and how you’ll be using the aeros in that song, this doesn’t generalize - for any random song you might play (or in my case, I’m using the aeros primarily as a tool for writing new songs), you’re stepping on the buttons of a midi foot controller to send these command, yes?

Also, how does the stop command work here? While you might have a stop queued up that would hold of a subsequent overdub, wouldn’t the queued stop take effect right right as you’re crossing into the next measure, thereby disabling the overdub that had been queued up?

Thanks in advance.