Midi cable to TRS hack

It’s very nice, it’s better, thank you.
Yes it is the solder side.

Here you go.

And that’s it, I still have to do the tests tonight. Thank you for your reactivity, your precious help. As I start in the middle of the BB I could ask you again for help for the operation and other?
Many thanks, that’s very kind of you.

1 Like

Lovely.

Hello,
Thanks for the wiring diagram, I connected the IN jack to the RC5 Out and the OUT jack to the RC 5 IN.
The RC5 becomes master (well I think!!) but it is fixed on a memory range and an error message appears on the pedal (I have to cut the power to restart it). To have a semblance of operation, I disconnect the OUT jack which allows me by pressing the RC 5 the start of BB.
Is this normal midi operation?
What midi settings should I put in the RC 5 and the BB?
Sorry, I’m starting in the middle of the looper and the BB I’m unfortunately lost.
Thank you for your help.

Hi,
You can only use ONE port of the RC5 at a time.
You CANNOT plug both IN and OUT, it wont work.

You have two options.

1. BB master — plug TRS OUT to RC5 IN port.
  2. RC5 master — plug TRS IN to RC5 OUT port.

It has to be one way or the other.

1 Like

I notice your BB has two inputs on the back. are those 1/8" connections? i dont have those on mine. Did you add those?

Yes they are 3.5mm i/o for midi connection that i added so i could get rid of bulky midi breakout cable for ease and to save space.

Hi, thanks for this information. I was going to purchase the cables from boss, do you need to buy 2 separate cables like the one in this pic to connect both pedals together? I have the BB and was going to possibly get the RC5 to connect to it. Thanks!

Hi @logan5 one cable is all you need.
Either
The IN goes to the OUT.
or,
The OUT goes to the IN.

Whichever device you have plugged to the OUT port, becomes the master.

1 Like

Hi Nepali_brother.
Thanks a lot for your information.
I also want to make my own cable, and try to get hold of quality PS2 connector and 2 pieces of 5 pin male midi/din connectors, for use with my Boomerang phrase sampler 3. The Boomerang has female midi in and out.
Are you able to make a diagram for soldering the BeatBuddy for this configuration too?
Best regards. :pray:

Hi @drhardlove I also use Rang as well, but never used those existing midi ports. I have modded TRS connectors on my Rang too as you can see on the pictures below. So trs aux cables run
throughout my pedalboard for all midi connections. Sorry, this might not help you but thats how I make them work.

1 Like

Thanks @Nepali_brother
I think you are very helpful, bless you. I will go about trying to convert mine too, as soon as I am back from the road.
Today I was lucky to find the last new original Y split cable for the BeatBuddy, from my local music equipement store. :partying_face::pray:

I noticed that it differed from the one I purchased with the Pedal. This one looks a bit better material vice, and the y joint is placed in different distance from the plugs.
The same overall lenght, but differing measurements within the full length of the two cables.

The material is more glossy and looks cheaper on the broken one, and it has no branding on the cable, which makes me believe that they are made in two different production facilities, with two different quality standards
At least they are from two different batches.

The question now is, where did my retailer get the broken cable from? I dont any longer have the original packaging. But the new one came in a bag with Beatbuddy logo and information on, so hey, these cables was really expensive some time ago. :roll_eyes:

That is off topic, but still a bit relevant, because I kind of criticized Singular Sound for delivering such a bad cable, whilst that might not be the case. Maybe someone else has been a bit too creative.

Thanks again. I’ll get back to this when I am back from travelling. :pray::hugs::pray:

PS.
It seems like you also modified the power supply input connector?

1 Like

The breakout cable I originally bought(separately) was also glossy and the Ps2 connector side was loose when connected to Beatbuddy, the other end midi in/out connectors were tighter than usual.
So i assume those were also copy version or may be just a different batch as you said.

Nevermind, I use TRS now.

Yes, the reversed polarity and non standard sized power input connector on the Rang is a mess.
So I fitted a standard 9v connector and also corrected the polarity. And dumped the proprietary power supply. Another bulk weight saving there.

You will also see one more port fitted in the panel below, and that I just added for extension for loop 1 switch.
The purpose of this is to start loop 1 and Beatbuddy in one tap with an external combined switch. Works like a charm.
Give me a shout if you need more help.
You will find so many wonderful souls in the forum who are very helpful and generous.

2 Likes