Midi files that cannot be opened

Hello, Does anyone know why there are some songs like for example Black Magic Woman (Santana) that cannot be opened in the DAW? (Reaper).

Can you provide a link to the source that you’re referring to?
Is it the MIDI source file or is it the MIDI file exported from the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM)?
Which version of Reaper are you using? Does Reaper open it at all or does it display a message or error?

File downloaded from songs file singular sound. Exported as MIDI from BBM. Reaper latest version…In Reaper comes out: no connection.

This could be one of two causes:

  1. The Export to MIDI from the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) was corrupted, a known issue with the BBM, or
  2. A known issue with Reaper that sometimes MIDI files cannot be opened. This is more likely what you are experiencing. I think it’s mentioned in the Cockos forum.

Thanks for your reply. I will look at it.





I think there is a setting in Reaper that fixes the issue when users get a “media offline” error when trying to open a MIDI file. Sorry, but I can’t remember what that setting is.

1 Like

I’ll look for it, see if I can find it.

I think I found the Reaper preference setting on the Cockos Forum: “Open Preferences, in bottom-left textbox type the word, offline, click the Find button,… there is an option to set media offline when app is not active, disable that if you wish.”

Hope that works for you. If did for when I was actively using Reaper.

Thank you very much for your help. I’m going to test it.

I will have to search for the exact word to put in the Preferences search engine. Putting No Connection, it does not work for me.

I have desactivated the option that is in Items, but it has not had any result either.

You’re welcome to zip the file and post it here and I’ll try it in Reaper.

Black_Magic_Woman_.zip (49.9 KB)

Thanks for zipping the files. Here’s what I did to get the MIDI to open in Reaper:
open the MIDI in another DAW and then export or save it as a MIDI file. I used Logic Pro X to open and then export it as a MIDI file. I was then able to open the new MIDI in Reaper. I attached the MIDI file and it should now open in Reaper.
BMW.mid.zip (18.8 KB)

As to what caused the problem, I have no idea as I think that the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) might have corrupted the file during the export process somehow. I only say this because when I tried to open the MIDI file using another DAW (MidiKit), it would not open.
I also noticed that the .sng file you provided appears to have been saved with the Rock with Bass kit. The song included piano and I tried it out with the Bosendorfer Jazz Trio 72+C2 kit. Sounded really good.

Thank you for your help, I am very grateful to you.

1 Like