MIDI Implementation Proposal

Inspired by Quad, I thought I’d share my thoughts on a comprehensive performance-based MIDI implementation. I know it is kind of fantasy MIDI building, but it beats my complaining about it and maybe it can help in some way.

The goal is to use available MIDI assignments in the most flexible, scalable and consistent way without attempting to predict user intentions, thus enabling each user to design the workflow that suits them best. None of the currently documented Aeros MIDI command ranges are reused to avoid conflicts and to maintain backward compatibility. Some things may seem redundant, but not when you consider that it impossible to know a user’s requirements. It’s about having the toolset to do the thing that no one else imagines.

It goes without saying, each of the following commands needs to meet the conditions required in Aeros or is ignored.

Part Select - CC: 52
Places focus on a Song Part and provides context when Part commands are issued.
0: Next Part
1-6: Part Number (value = part)

Part Commands - CC: 53
0: Record Selected Part (Begins recording on next available Track in Part)
1-6: Record Part Number (value = part) (Begins recording on next available Track in Part)
7: Record Next (Begins recording on the first Track in the next unused Part)
10: Play Selected Part
11-16: Play Part Number (value = (part + 10))
17: Play Next
127: Stop Song

Track Select - CC: 54
Places focus on the Track and provides context when Track commands are issued.
0: Next Track
1-6: Track Number (value = track)

Track Commands - CC: 55
0: Record Selected Track
1-6: Record Track Number (value = track)
7: Record Next
10: Overdub Selected Track
11-16: Overdub Track Number (value = (track + 10)
20: Record or Overdub Selected Track (Record if is Next Unused Track, otherwise Overdub)
21-26: Record or Overdub Track Number (value = (track + 20) (Record if is Next Unused Track, otherwise Overdub)
30: Undo Selected Track
31-36: Undo Track Number (value = (track + 30))
40: Redo Selected Track
41-46: Redo Track Number (value = (track + 40))
50: Undo/Redo Toggle Selected
51-56: Undo/Redo Track Number (value = (track + 50))
60: Mute Selected Track
61-66: Mute Track Number (value = (track + 60)
67: Mute All
70: Unmute Selected Track
71-76: Unmute Track Number (value = (track + 70)
77: Unmute All
80: Mute/Unmute Selected Track
81-86: Mute/Unmute Track Number (value = (track + 80)
90: Solo Selected Track (Mutes all other tracks. Use ‘Unmute All’ to remove Solo)
91-96: Solo Track Number (value = (track + 90)
127: Play (takes track out of Record or Overdub mode)

Timing Modes - CC:56
Governs the timing used by the related commands. Set mode before issuing command (or uses value from Settings)
0: Stop Immediate
1: Stop End of Measure
2: Stop End of Loop
10: Change Immediate
11: Change End of Measure
12: Change End of Loop
20: Mute/Unmte Immediate
21: Mute/Unmute End of Measure
22: Mute/Unmute End of Loop

Workflow Modes - CC: 57
Governs the Record, Overdub, Play order. Set before starting a recording (or uses value from Settings)
0: ROP
1: RPO

Master Volume Expression - CC: 80
0-127: Volume Level

Track Volume Expression - CC: 81
0-127: Volume Level of Track selected by CC: 54

Click Volume Expression - CC: 82

Footswitches - CC: 58
Performs actions as if the user was pressing a footswitch on the unit.
0: Left Switch Press
1: Left Switch Release
2: Left Switch Long Press
3: Left Switch Long Press Release
4: Left Switch Double Tap
10: Middle Switch Press
11: Middle Switch Release
12: Middle Switch Long Press
13: Middle Switch Long Press Release
14: Middle Switch Double Tap
20: Right Switch Press
21: Right Switch Release
22: Right Switch Long Press
23: Right Switch Long Press Release
24: Right Switch Double Tap
30: Stop Switch Press
31: Stop Switch Release
32: Stop Switch Long Press
33: Stop Switch Long Press Release
34: Stop Switch Double Tap

2 Likes

There is a lot to like here.

My biggest issue with the current 3.3 midi implementation is that I can’t fully mimic the buttons on the Aeros. I’d love to have the Aeros on a stand so I can save/name without sitting on the floor.

but I’m struggling to mimic the current button features: most importantly, a single button (and therefore a single command) to Record/Play/Overdub the current track. This is critical to my use case.

4 Likes

That’s a good point. I’ve added a Footswitches controller to the MIDI model above.

I ran into that issue too in the last few days. I have the Aeros on the ground next to my MIDI controller, but in 6x6 i was hoping to use MIDI to jump straight into an overdub on another track with one press. It’s lacking even the ability to just take a track out of record without switching parts.

2 Likes

Well, I am here to flat out complain. I finally bought the Aeros because comments from the moderators in the past few months had seemed to indicate an active and imminent comprehensive MIDI update that would provide the control us MIDI lovers need. Right after buying, in response to a comment on the main Aeros MIDI thread, Brennan made it clear that this was not the case and they had other areas of focus that would take precedence.

While I want a foot pedal looper so I can practice and play around with loops, my main use live is for the looper to be controlled by a MIDI file running in tandem with either a click track for my drummer, or backing drums if I am a solo one man band setup. I had been eyeing the Aeros as the ultimate foot pedal option for a while, as an upgrade to what I had achieved with the Pigtronix Infinity looper. Currently I am doing this with Loopy HD on an iPad, using the RME Babyface Pro as an interface. I could almost be content with that, but I run into intermittent software glitches…signal loss, drop out of MIDI signal, which, while not frequent, occur enough that I have to expect I may be apologizing and rebooting the programs during a set at least once.

I think the forums are a source of not only information, but actually some degree of advertising by developers. Their responses advertise devotion to their product as well as features they promise their product will have. As it is I feel the past few months have been a bit of false advertising. I have two pretty bricks on my board now, hogging space. I am trying to work out getting the Maestro to control Loopy HD on the iPad for now so I can play around with loops when I practice, but Aeros itself is totally useless for me unless MIDI is properly implemented. I am frustrated and honestly would take them up on an offer to return it unless some reasonable timeline for MIDI is given. Last I read they could not offer a guess.

2 Likes

I get it. Believe me, I get it. I could really get into it. I’ve had the Aeros since it was first release and I’ve done my share of complaining. Like you, I could not (and still cannot) use Aeros for the task I intended to use it for. If it had been complete and I found out it just didn’t do what I wanted, so be it. The limbo state is where I have hope that it’ll do what I want because I haven’t seen it in it’s completed form.

Anyway, I did finally find a use for Aeros which isn’t anything like my original intent, so I’m feeling less like it’s a brick sitting on my shelf at least. Now it just needs a MUCH better strategy for adding MIDI than what we’ve seen so far. We don’t just need more MIDI slapped on, we need MIDI that enables a users creativity beyond simply what the developers think the Use Cases are. I’m hoping that the model I’m proposing will help show that in a more concrete way than I’ve expressed in the past.

3 Likes

For those interested, I’m curious if you think organizing CC commands by object as in the original post (Track and Part) or function (Select, Loop and Mix) is better? It’s really just semantics, but organizing by function does help balance the use of CC space a bit and maybe is more intuitive too. Here is what a refinement by function could possibly look like:

Select - CC: 52
Places focus and provides context before issuing other commands.
0: Next Song Part
1-6: Song Part Number (value = part)
10: Next Track
11-16: Track Number (value = (track + 10))

Loop Commands - CC: 53
0: Record Selected Part (Records on next available Track in Part)
1-6: Record Part Number (value = part) (Records on next available Track in Part)
7: Record Next Part (Records on the first Track in the next unused Part)
10: Play Selected Part
17: Play Next Part
20: Record Selected Track
21-26: Record Track Number (value = (track + 20))
27: Record Next Track
30: Overdub Selected Track
31-36: Overdub Track Number (value = (track + 30)
40: Record or Overdub Selected Track (Record if New, otherwise Overdub)
41-46: Record or Overdub Track Number (value = (track + 40) (Record if New, otherwise Overdub)
50: Undo Selected Track
51-56: Undo Track Number (value = (track + 50))
60: Redo Selected Track
61-66: Redo Track Number (value = (track + 60))
70: Undo/Redo Selected Track
71-76: Undo/Redo Track Number (value = (track + 70))
80: Lock Selected Track
81-86: Lock Track Number (value = (track + 80))
90: Unlock Selected Track
91-96: Unlock Track Number (value = (track + 90))
127: Exit Record Mode (takes track out of Record or Overdub mode)

Mix Commands - CC: 54
0: Mute Selected Track
1-6: Mute Track Number (value = track)
7: Mute All
10: Unmute Selected Track
11-16: Unmute Track Number (value = (track + 10)
17: Unmute All
20: Mute/Unmute Selected Track
21-26: Mute/Unmute Track Number (value = (track + 20)
30: Solo (Mutes all other tracks. Use ‘Unmute All’ to remove Solo)
31-36: Solo Track Number (value = (track + 30)

Timing Modes - CC:55
Governs the timing used by the related commands
3: Stop Default (Use Aeros Settings Value)
13: Change Default (Use Aeros Settings Value)
23: Mute/Unmute Default (Use Aeros Settings Value)

Workflow Modes - CC: 56
Governs the Record, Overdub, Play order
0: Default (Use Aeros Settings Value)
1: ROP
2: RPO

Footswitches - CC: 57

Master Volume Expression - CC: 80

Track Volume Expression - CC: 81
0-127: Volume Level of Track selected by CC: 52

Click Volume Expression - CC: 82

2 Likes

This needs to have some way of setting and optional track and optional part number … with 0 meaning the current part.

IMHO, the development is a bit too reactive and likely chases its tail with one partial solution to the next. Seems like they paint themselves into the corner and sound time battling with the issues. Don’t think they had a good design for button actions on press, scroll wheel, midi sync, headroom, internal command api (with midi for free), memory and file management, etc. Good news is they are making their way through this and the (newish) team is learning on the job.

1 Like

IMHO it’s better to give descriptions of what is needed with an example or two in terms of style of setting the api arguments. A long spec with details is a bit much to digest and gets into the weeds.

1 Like

Got it. I design in terms of making objects that organize and expose all functions first (with an eye towards leaving space in the addressable range for future additions). This has the best shot of not painting you into a corner. Then I can prove the design against examples. Coming up with examples to design against first and building around them, IME, can sometimes result in bad early decisions and dead ends. I can certainly demonstrate a few examples with a model that is taking shape. If anyone wants to throw out a scenario, I’ll explain how it might be done without trying to alter the proposed model in any way (and if it can’t be done, that shows the model needs to change somehow … as long as the Aeros itself is actually capable of that functionality, a MIDI Implementation can only map to existing functionality).

(I don’t know if it’s apparent, but I program for a living, including making components that other developers consume, so I’m really just applying my practiced methodology here. I was asked to volunteer my time to help program the MIDI Implementation in Aeros, but I already have too much on my plate. Coming up with the model I’d like to see, and that I think can really help others, is about all I can contribute at this time … besides, when it comes to music, I’d rather be on the musician side of the process and leave my day job behind).

Can you explain that a bit more? How do you see the song part factoring into setting a track volume? Do you think it’s more palettable to have an individual expression controller definition per track?

I didn’t want to eat up the space for 6 controllers, so this was a compromise. Plus physical expression controllers tends to be mapped statically to a CC and cannot be shifted to a different CC during a performance (except for this one I have called the Reflex which was discontinued unfortunately). With the model I proposed, the controller can be mapped to a single CC and the context can shift using the Select CC. Come to think of it, maybe I should have gone a step further and included the Master Volume and the Click Volume somehow into the Track Volume controller.

Slightly prefer the Function based organization (and the OP seems to have a sliver of Function based to it) .

What about backwards compatibility? The midi spec is already in use, so I doubt we’re going to remove the current set of CC’s .

On the mixer volumes, I see your point. On the track volume, I assume this works in tandem with Select CC 52? If so, that works for me. You might want to add “previous” and it might be OK to give up a future track 9 for that. On part, perhaps it only makes sense to adjust volume on the current part.

Is select like a cursor? You might need to have more than one type of select: select track (as in 6x6 mode today without midi), select track in mixer view, and select for midi commands that don’t have track number embedded.

IMHO on timing mode, I hope changes to this would not affect already queued commands. For simplicity, I’d really like the concept of a default mode and a mode that only affects the very next command (and then reverts back to your default). That avoids tap dancing/extra midi commands to pop the mode back to the default.

They should definitely stay away from the current documented CCs and maintain complete compatabilty with what has been done so far. Once you release MIDI spec, it should be immutable. (all the more reason to find a forward looking pattern and try to stick to it).

Exactly.

If I understand correctly, you are thinking of a scenario where you are Selecting a track, but want the expression control to manipulate the Track that you just left? This could be more reason to dedicate a CC for each Track volume. Others loopers tend to do that.

There’s also the potential, as I might have mentioned before, for dedicating 1 CC or Note values for convenience or macro commands. Basically, batching up a few commands to define a pattern for behavior.

I would probably avoid this for now, simply for the fact that I don’t know what support there is for adjusting the volume of a part in the engine.

That’s a valid way to state it, yes. It’s not necessarily a UI thing (though it could be) as much as it provides context for subsequent commands.

I think part of your idea is that there would be a Select command that would also change views in the Aeros UI. That’s not what I imagined. Certainly if you were in Mixer view, and you issued a Select command, it would probably be best to have the track also selected in the UI. Same for the Loop screen.

I think of most software as having an engine with a bunch of “private” functions. The UI is just one way the developer created to access those functions. MIDI would be a second way. There, of course, could be UI interaction through MIDI when it makes sense. Easy way to look at it is thinking about a MIDI command to change Stop Modes: Immediate, EOM or EOL. Issuing that command should not mean switch to Settings in the UI.

I do know that the model I propose lacks any form of commands meant to specifically drive the UI. That, to me, is another discussion. One that I would have qualms about if I were the developer. The thing is, when MIDI commands are dependent on UI on a device like Aeros that presents a software UI, then when the developer wants to change that UI, the MIDI spec may have to change with it or fill up with deprecated commands. It goes against the idea of having an immutable MIDI spec and greatly increases the maintenance burden and user pain.

I do think there is a level of UI driven commands that makes sense, especially generic ones such as Scroll, Focus and Click. Anyway, sorry for the tangent, my goal is have a conversation on needed performance CC commands. A whole other topic probably awaits for UI based interfaces and the much needed PC commands to load songs.

A big part of that lays within the capability of the Aeros engine, which I don’t know. If the Aeros engine itself could have queued commands pending with various Timing Modes, then it stands to reason that it would be possible via MIDI.

What I’ve done for now is revised the Function based model and added values to the various modes that explicitly use the Settings default. That’s also reaching as I don’t know whether changing the Timing mode in the first place must overwrite the Settings value … or even if can actually be done in real time (dynamically). If it all can be done, this may be a good case for a convenience or macro command that fully initiates the change and the behavior that follows.

I also realized just now that I missed the Lock/Unlock commands, so I added them as well. That is SUCH a powerful feature, I really have begun to rely on it. I can only dream of what may be possible with MIDI interaction (within the rules of the Lock feature itself, of course).

I didn’t mean that a Midi command would modify the UI view directly (or change screens so you would see that) upon selecting a track, but given how 6x6 mode works, a midi command probably needs to change the “selected” track (which would show up in the UI as the internal model changes). And once you do that, you need to keep that separate from the notion of “select track” in the mixer (which would be nice to have midi controls as well). I agree it’s a slippery slope to tie the midi to the UI, but it also gets confusing if you ignore it.

At some point it would be nice to enable a super hands free UI mode with the help of midi, but was not thinking about that right now … and that would likely require internal changes to the Aeros. I’ve been pushing for this without midi…

In terms of backward compatibility (which I’m a big fan of), hopefully we don’t have functionality duplicated across CC’s (but not at the expense of the future).

I would also like to see midi control of the input/output routing settings. Suspect others would like other settings accessible via midi.

I think I see, you want to have different contexts for Select, so you could Select a Track for a looping command and Select a different Track for a Mixer command and keep working with both in parallel. Is that it? That’s a good one!

I know this isn’t an official SS document, but I think hashing this kind of stuff out is really valuable as they consider their own MIDI implementation.

1 Like

Another refinement. Separating out what I’m calling “Instant Action Commands” from “Select Action Commands”. I think it would be more easily readable and makes specific controllers more catered to different kinds of uses. Also provides a little more space in each controller for expansion.

Loop Commands (instant action) - CC: 80
0: Exit Record Mode (ie: Play Mode. Takes a track out of Record or Overdub mode)
1-6: Record Part Number (value = part) (Records on next available Track in Part)
7: Record Next Part (Records on the first Track in the next unused Part)
17: Play Next Part
21-26: Record Track Number (value = (track + 20))
27: Record Next Track
31-36: Overdub Track Number (value = (track + 30)
41-46: Record or Overdub Track Number (value = (track + 40) (Record if New, otherwise Overdub)
51-56: Undo Track Number (value = (track + 50))
61-66: Redo Track Number (value = (track + 60))
71-76: Undo/Redo Track Number (value = (track + 70))
81-86: Lock Track Number (value = (track + 80))
91-96: Unlock Track Number (value = (track + 90))

Loop Commands (select action) - CC: 81
0: Select Next Song Part
1-6: Select Song Part Number (value = part)
10: Select Next Track
11-16: Select Track Number (value = (track + 10))
20: Record Selected Part (Records on next available Track in Part)
21: Record Selected Track
22: Play Selected Part
23: Overdub Selected Track
24: Record or Overdub Selected Track (Record if New, otherwise Overdub)
25: Undo Selected Track
26: Redo Selected Track
27: Undo/Redo Selected Track
28: Lock Selected Track
29: Unlock Selected Track

Mix Commands (instant action) - CC: 82
1-6: Mute Track Number (value = track)
7: Mute All
11-16: Unmute Track Number (value = (track + 10)
17: Unmute All
21-26: Mute/Unmute Track Number (value = (track + 20)
31-36: Solo Track Number (value = (track + 30) (Mutes all other tracks. Use ‘Unmute All’ instant action to remove Solo)

Mix Commands (select action) - CC: 83
0: (reserved for possible Select Next Song Part reference)
1-6: (reserved for possible Select Song Part Number)
10: Select Next Track
11-16: Select Track Number (value = (track + 10))
20: Mute Selected Track
21: Unmute Selected Track
22: Mute/Unmute Selected Track
23: Solo Selected Track (Mutes all other tracks. Use ‘Unmute All’ instant action to remove Solo)

Timing Modes - CC: 85
Governs the timing used by related commands
3: Stop Default (Use Aeros Settings Value)
13: Change Default (Use Aeros Settings Value)
23: Mute/Unmute Default (Use Aeros Settings Value)

Workflow Modes - CC: 86
Governs the Record, Overdub, Play order
0: Default (Use Aeros Settings Value)
1: ROP
2: RPO

Footswitches - CC: 87

Selected Track Volume Expression - CC: 20
0-127: Volume Level of Track selected by CC: 83, values 10-16

Track 1 Volume Expression - CC: 21

Track 2 Volume Expression - CC: 22

Track 3 Volume Expression - CC: 23

Track 4 Volume Expression - CC: 24

Track 5 Volume Expression - CC: 25

Track 6 Volume Expression - CC: 26

Click Volume Expression - CC: 27

Master Volume Expression - CC: 28

I want to go into a little of the rational for having both Instant Action commands and Select Action commands using just 1 example, because they might seem redundant at first, but each does solve a very specific need better than the other.

Using Mute and Unmute.

Use Case #1: I have a bank in my 4-button foot controller to execute actions in a specific song with specific needs. One of those may be to Mute and Unmute Track 2.

Switch 1: Set for Toggle and pass in these specific commands for the ON and OFF states: CC: 82 Val: 2 (Mute Track 2) or CC:82 Val 12 (Unmute Track 2). (or just use CC: 82 Val: 22 if it suits your controller better and you don’t need state persistence loaded in by a preset).

Use Case #2: Same 4-button controller, but now what I need is a way to generally control the Mute or Unmute for any one of the tracks at any given time.

Switch 1: Scrolls through the Selected track with CC: 83 Val: 10.
Switch 2: Mute Selected Track with CC: 83 Val: 20
Switch 3: UnMute Selected Track with CC: 83 Val: 21

(or use Switch 2 for both Mute and Unmute using CC:83 Val 22, which makes this Use Case function almost exactly like the Mixer page on the Aeros today)

User Case #3. Same 4-button controller, similar to User Case #2, but I really only need to Mute/Unmute track 1-2 and 4-6 at any given time

Switch 1: Uses the Controller’s own Scroll function (ie: Step) to scroll through all Tracks, but skips over Track 3 with CC: 83 Val: 11, 12, 14, 15, 16. (one of the controllers that I own can store up to 16 steps with each footpress of the same button, another one I own allows for 5 steps.)
Switch 2: Mute Selected Track with CC: 83 Val: 20
Switch 3: UnMute Selected Track with CC: 83 Val: 21

If you look at the proposal in this way, I think it is easy to see the greater potential for users developing their own specific workflows. What we have today is only what’s in the italicized section in Use Case #1 above.

1 Like

I’d like to throw in what I would be trying to do with the Aeros - and perhaps this is already possible with what has been implemented? If someone could help guide me on whether I should bother trying (i.e., purchase) or wait until the MIDI was been completed before purchasing an Aeros, I would be very grateful! I want to avoid pulling the trigger and then not knowing if it will ever work the way I’d like it to…

Basically, I would like to pair an Aeros with an Elektron Octatrack, MC6, or other MIDI playback device to accomplish what many people (like Elise Trouw) are doing with Ableton currently with looper plugins and automation - that is, have the MIDI start record, mute, unmute, add tracks, change parts, stop, play, all from MIDI CC messages. Sort of shape the performance as you go and trigger the recording and play.

This would allow a hands-free setup that would keep the focus on the performance of the parts in sequence, rather than needing to manually turn loopers on and off, mute, etc.

When I watch some of these looper videos I do not sometimes get the sense of joy from the performer because of all the technical stuff going on. But when I see the Ableton-based performances, I see a lot more of the performer than the top of their head as they tap tap tap. Hope this makes sense? I can explain further if needed. I would expect there to be some constraints, I mean, no one is expecting this to be Ableton, but the capability that it has today is incredible and would seem like enough if it can be automated fully with MIDI. This would make an awesome gigging monster.

So, what you do think? Try it now or wait for a fuller MIDI implementation? Thanks for reading!

1 Like

you can try using this software with the aeros as well.
i hope that helps for some use cases.
2 Likes

You guys all get this whole midi thing way more than I but I’m trying to get up to speed and desperately want to see Aeros very versatile and a joy to perform with rather than the tremendous stresser it is currently. Coming from using an Infinity I love the extra tracks/parts available. I haven’t pulled the trigger on a midi foot control yet. I feel like Maestro only offering 6 switches, the price and it’s size isn’t what I’d really be interested in. But until I know a foot control will actually be of benefit, I’m not going there. I can only hope SS is paying some heed to your thoughts.

1 Like

The MIDI implementation in Aeros is the minimum required to match the ideas for use that the developers had in mind for combining it with the BeatBuddy and subsequent Maestro release. Unfortunately, there is no single workflow pattern that matches a majority of users or even songs, so in that regard it is currently very restrictive. I’m controlling some features with MIDI, but not the way I really want to.

Your list of wants are not that long, and Aeros does a lot of those things on a surface level, but the way it achieves them may not be want you expect. The most glaring issue is that it doesn’t Play or Overdub from MIDI. What I mean is, you can start a recording of a part or a track, but your only option then is to record another part or track, you cannot simply put it into “play” mode (or even overdub mode). Once you have a couple parts recorded, you can move around from one part to the next … and that DOES put it into play mode from a recording state … but it’s not something you can do until you have a couple parts already to work with. I have to use the switch on the Aeros itself nearly all the time to suit my compositions. Basically, you can’t perform a lot of the conveniences you would expect … I like to program one switch that transitions through various states logically, so I don’t hunt around for which switch to press next. I can do that with their MIDI currently to toggle some song parts, but you can’t do something like have a switch that Records, Plays and Overdubs with successive presses as the switch on the Aeros itself does.

Muting is major roadblock for me as well. The MIDI implementation uses only a toggle state … you can’t command a track to either be muted or unmuted specifically … it must toggle. Sometimes that’s what you want, but there are a lot of other times you need to reuse switches in a logical way where you want to be very specific what you want a track or tracks to do for muting. People who develop complex MIDI workflows know what I’m talking about.

Frankly, I could write a novel about the roadblocks I’ve faced, yet I’m determined to just get on with it instead of waiting for the upgrades. Bottom line: The MIDI implementation in Aeros has a VERY narrow scope suited to one persons idea of a workflow for a song and nothing else. I hope they do away with the concept of trying to figure out MIDI workflows and just give us all the discrete commands to do it ourselves.

3 Likes