MIDI Maestro: What It Has, What We Want

Thought I’d start a thread on this in the hopes that we can do a bit of crowd-sourcing for the Maestro – which I believe could be a revolution for us musico types.

(My name is Joe, and I am a $#it-disturber…) :slight_smile:

I’ll start it off with a question for @DavidPackouz and @AnthonySostre: I see in the video there’s a CUSTOM mode. Can/do we have multiple CUSTOM modes?

Next, can the app import configuration files so we can build our own control modes? And if so, we have a place for user files, can we also have a library for control modes?

Who’s next?

:slight_smile:

The Morningstar MC6 is a direct competitor for the Midi Maestro - it is at a similar price point, and if SS release comprehensive MIDI implementation documentation for the Aeros , and ensure the Beatbuddy docs are up to date, then there is nothing that the Maestro will be able to do that cannot be done with the MC6… or is there ??

SS need to give us a gap analysis of where the functionality will differ (initially) and where the functionality will differ when their longer term plans for the Maestro are realised.

For example the MC6 has 30 banks, with each Bank having 2 pages of 6 buttons each… allow 1 button per page and you have 10 presets per Bank… and each preset allows several different types of button press (Press, Release, Long Press, Double-press, Long Press Release etc.)

Each preset has a total of 16 possible MIDI messages with any combination of CC and Program Changes… The MC6 can be edited by connecting your PC to a website via USB, by downloading the editor program onto your PC, or on the unit itself (which is actually a bit clunky, but it can be done)

As I have said before on here, MIDI is MIDI… so, apart from a nice looking unit with slightly larger LCD display capabilities than the MC6, what will it do that is unique …what is it’s USP ??

It’s a fair question because I bet that a lot of potential buyers think that MIDI is really complicated and the only way they can control their BB and/or their Aeros is with a Maestro… That’s not the case - unless SS tell us something different…

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

I’ve got an MC6 and I like it. Their software is a bit kludgy, but it’s good model for the MM. However, it’s way too small to be useful for me as a foot controller live, so I’m looking forward to the MM. Once I have it, I may do a gap analysis, but I think that should probably wait for the software to be where they want it.

I just took a look at Morningstar MC6 at their site to compare to the Maestro and one thing stood out that I didn’t realize, the MIDI Maestro appears to have no USB port for communications to a PC. Is this correct and any ‘software’ would be in the form of an ‘app’ for a phone/tablet via BT? I had been thinking about the Maestro possibly if the firmware fixes and bugs get worked out, but with the omission of a USB port this is one is a no go for me. Even an SD card with a Windows/Mac editor/librarian would be an OK alternative.

Unfortunately, you are right. It appears to be Bluetooth update only, from a proprietary app. The most recent SS video talks about users being able to request “Modes” to work with their own devices. It’s a pity, because it’s a good-looking unit, but the lack of USB connectivity is a show-stopper for me as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall midi devices accepting updates via the midi in port. I know there were firmware updates for Roland units long before there was midi over usb.

You are absolutely correct @Phil_Flood-- this is how MIDI Solutions does it on their Event Processors. The question is whether the SS guys are doing that.

I actually don’t have a big issue with the idea of update via Bluetooth, depending on the functionality of the app. It would be nice, though, if the app was available on more than just iOS. I’m also interested in finding out if you can program on the unit itself.

It’s all very interesting. Waiting for mine to really dig into it. But that doesn’t mean I don’t have a wish list. :slight_smile:

I am guessing that the changes made on the proprietary app are sent via Bluetooth as a .syx file (System Exclusive) to the Maestro - I may be wrong - I would be interested to know… I am imagining that all the instructions for a single “mode” in the Maestro are contained in a single .syx file… again, I would be interested to know… that’s how MIDI used to be sent in the old days via the DIN connector…

1 Like

MIDI updates via the DIN connector may be a possibility. I can’t recall if some of my ancient keyboards or other MIDI gearwere capable of that means or not. A couple I had I know I had swapped out an PROM IC’s for firmware upgrades. The USB keyboards were never a problem with updates.

I’m not fond of BT as a sole method of communications to a device. I’ve got a JBL EON610 speaker that has a nifty EQ system via an app using BT. The BT is also used to update the firmware in the speaker. The app had notified me of a firmware update for the speaker which I accepted and it appeared to have completed successfully, but now the BT of the speaker no longer works and there is no way to reflash the firmware via BT. If the speaker had a USB port along with the BT I might have half a chance to restore the tweaking of the EQ via the BT app, but due to JBL’s design decision to leave out an alternate method of communications, the only means to get the EQ via the BT app working again would send the speaker to JBL. That ain’t gonna happen. Besides basically not liking apps on phones/tablets, I would be concerned about an update possibly not installing properly or corrupted that may kill off the functionality of the BT in the Maestro.

What I want:

• custom modes. More than 1
  • easily switch between modes with combo buttons
  • tap AND hold. 2 different functions per button. Although, this can also be interpreted by the receiving side
  • bluetooth midi
  • send multiple (&programmable) midi messages per button press
  • possibility to save and share custom modes
2 Likes

I’ll add double-tap functionality. All assignable (as long as we’re wishing for the sky :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I like to connect Beat Buddy - MIDI Maestro - Roland GR-55
Example: when you play a song on BB, in the " Part A", the MM give the order to my Roland GR-55 to use “sound A”. When I change to “part B”, the MM change to “sound B” in the GR-55.
Is possible create this link between this three units?
If is Possible, will be a Midi Maestro Manager available? then we can customize our needs?
T

I’m wondering what 10 dynamic pages per preset means. And if one can delete beatbuddy and aeros presets.

Hopefully it will turn out to meet our expectations, but I’m rather sketptic right now.

I don’t know if this is available natively, but it appears that the Aeros knows when you go from Part 1 to Part 2 and responds accordingly, so the triggers are there. You might need to add a piece of gear like a MIDI Solutions Event Processor to expand what happens when the BB does things you;re looking for, but it should be doable.

Is that the Maestro documentation?

My guess is that has to do with the way some buttons’ function changes depending on the state of another button. For example, I suspect/expect that when you click the button assigned to BB START, the function of the other buttons change in the same way that the outboard buttons attached to the BB change. I THINK that may actually appear in the videos, but I’ll have to go back and watch them.

FWIW, I too am leary of not having a USB port for connection to the computer for editing software and firmware updates.

Editing and updates via Bluetooth is a cool additional feature, but as the only option it’s problematic to me.

I get it it that more hardware/parts/complexity raises the required cost to recoup and profit. From a pure economic viewpoint there’s certainly an argument in favor of doing what needs be done exactly once (and well) for the lowest possible build cost.

Nevertheless, as a user-in-the-field and customer-in-waiting it is my day-by-day smooth and reliable (or NOT!) experience that matters to me more than anything. In the amount of $$ we are talking about one way or the other with devices of this type even ONE BAD DAY of wasted time more than swamps what the difference in cost would be.

IOW, I’d rather pay more and have flexibility, reliability, convenience, options.

Please, put a USB port in it!!

1 Like

My initial thoughts using the midi maestro for the first time:

It would be nice to have a fill button on the parts page after starting the BB. I still have to use the pedal to achieve this.

For me, the half speed and double buttons have no value whatsoever.

The start BB button should be on the bottom, not the top for ease of use.

The expression pedal should control volume not tempo as we rehearse all our tune and the 1 bpm up/down buttons are sufficient during a performance. We need more volume when the lead guitarist goes out of control :slight_smile:

apart from the above suggestions the pedal is well made and is a dream to use.

When is smart phone app going to be available?

2 Likes

I’m hoping all of this is possible with the app. Since I believe there are CC values for all of the things you want, they are all possible right now with a programmable MIDI pedal, so…