Midi Maestro's button are really loud

I’m a novice when it comes to this. It would be interesting to hear why you switched. I’ve just had a look at the Softstep editor, and it seems really outdated.

There were several reasons:
Although the SoftStep 2 (SS2) software is 64-bit (a good thing), it doesn’t appear that the developer has updated it since 2017 and the firmware since 2014.
You will need the KMI MIDI Expander. It has far more capabilities than I needed at the time.
The great news is that it did everything I needed to do with the BeatBuddy, a delay, compressor and my looper; I recently added a MIDI capable wah wah. The programming was not that difficult and it just worked—quietly and without issues.
The pedal keys for me are a drawback simply because of the spacing and their cruciform design. I’m too clumsy to always be accurate. Loved the overall smaller footprint but it just wasn’t for me.
Their manual for the basic and advanced editors is well-written and could serve as a model for Singular Sound as it’s organized, complete and clear.
The developers were responsive when I had questions which is a plus and they appear to be monitoring and responding to their forum.
Bottom line is that the SS2 is a very good pedal but I just found something that better suited me.

So why did I change to a different controller? I wanted some flexibility in other areas e.g., I wanted to be able to program the MIDI controller without the use of a computer going thru an external add-on. I also wanted to have better control of my pedals. Enter the G Lab GSC-4. I already have two other G Lab pedals and I really like them (other than the price). When the chance came up to get the GSC-4 (which wasn’t widely available in the U.S.), I jumped on it. It’s less complex than the SS II and I can program everything on the pedal itself. I can now connect to and put all of my other pedals in a drawer and run everything from the GSC-4. Much less footprint and I like the single function (and quiet) switches.

Thank you for your extensive answer. The SS2 has a small footprint indeed, and the spacing between switches might be to small for my feet. You’re being a great help for me at the start of this journey.

Oh, and just one more question: Are the switches on the GSC-4 as quiet as the SS2, or is there a “metal” sound when you press them? I intend to loop during yogasessions, and want no “artficial” sounds …

To me the sound of the switches has never been an issue as I play loudly thru an amplifier and I bought the SS2 before I got the Maestro.

If I were to rank with a number from quietest to loudest switches, it might be
SS2 = 0-1 (pretty much dead silent with almost no tactile feedback)
GSC4 = 4-5 (depressing the switches makes a mechanical sound but without the loud, hollow box spring noise made by the MM; it is noticeable in a quiet room but not overbearingly so).
MM = 7-8

1 Like

Help us help you! Poll: What's your favorite pedal button?