MIDI Sync not working

Hi, things were working fine for me, but suddenly my Aeros looper no longer will display MIDI Sync “On.” When I start and stop the transport in my DAW (Ableton 11), it starts and stops the Aeros, so it is getting these messages. Sometimes, it seems like there is a brief flicker to “on” but it is barely perceptible. When I change the tempo, it seems to occasionally catch the new tempo, but mostly not. But it keeps on saying MIDI Sync “Off” and doesn’t track tempo changes reliably as before. I’ve tried going back to Ableton 10, restarting the Aeros, creating a new song in Aeros and none of these are making a difference. It’s driving me crazy! Any thoughts?

UPDATE:
I tried to connect the MIDI out on my Elektron Digitakt to the Aeros and it works as it should. I can keep it this way as a work around, as the Elektron, which is connected to the DAW via USB, updates it’s tempo based on the DAW and then transmits this to the Aeros (connected via the 5 pin MIDI out). I just don’t know why the DAW (Ableton 11 on iMac connected to iConnect MIDI4+ via USB) → Aeros (via the DIN out on my iConnect MIDI4+) isn’t working as it should (given that it used to work just fine). It starts and stops the Aeros, but there is no MIDI Sync (as above)

I get a similar issue when I clear a song and edit it’s settings. Who knows; might be related.

Hello, I have the same problem with a MIDI USB cable sync to Ableton 9, 10 or 11 despite of the fact that Track/Sync/Telec are on in ableton’s preferencies…

Hey there,

I know using MIDI to USB is not very good for a streamline experience, as MIDI to USB is unreliable with MIDI clock, you may want to consider a better MIDI connection to your DAW by using an audio interface/MIDI interface.

Hi @BrennanSingularSound

I’m having this issue with my Aeros and Live as well. I though a MIDI to USB cable would be fine but it clearly isn’t.
I use UAD interfaces which have no MIDI ports. What would be the simplest way to add a reliable MIDI connection to my set up keeping my audio signal the same?

thanks so much

PS: been searching around. Would this do the job?

yes, that thing works. i have one myself for years now.

hi Brennan, why is midi to usb unreliable? and how would you connect a midi-interface with din-midi in- and outputs to a daw other than via usb?

i can report (a bug?), that the tempo does not change (in the tempo-display) when tempo changes via midi-clock-signals are sent bei a midi-master and that the aeros display says ´ midi sync= off ´ .

the tempo of the aeros will always follow the clock, but the display does not show that.

my aeros is fully up to date at the moment.

cool thanks

Do you use it to connect the Aeros as a MIDI slave to your DAW? Are you on a mac or PC?

thanks for the help

i just tested it with an ipad pro and loopy hd and loopy pro.
but also with pc and mac everthing (midi-clock and so on) works with that interface.
on the aeros-display is some lack of displaying tempo and sync-connection.
but aeros receives the clock and starts and stops well.
aeros is always slave…at the moment.

cool thanks! I’ll get on and order it then :slight_smile:

hi there

Even though the midiface is being recognised by ableton and I’ve enabled it to receive midi from Live, the Aeros sync is off and I cannot find the setting to turn it on. I’m going through the manual doing keyword search and I’m not finding anything helpful. Any clues you could give me? Thanks in advance for your help.
R

hi Rafael,
in the aeros go to settings>MIDI IN START and choose RECORD or PLAYBACK or both.
then scroll down in SETTINGS to the end of the list end set the MIDI IN CHANNEL (1-16, all).
that ´ s it. now the aeros should receive midi clock and start message from ableton live.

hey thanks very much

Those settings were already as you suggest. Also I’ve enabled the Sync box for the Midiface in Ableton. When I’m on the song screen it says Off under Midi Sync and the Aeros is not responding to Ableton

you mean on the song screen of the aeros the MIDI SYNC says OFF?
yes, that ´ s what i mentioned earlier. but when you enabled the checkbox in ableton live ´ s preferences MIDI PORTS OUT> SYNC for the midi interface, ableton live should send clock and start/stop messages to the aeros and the aeros should receive them.
that is what it does here.
and there is another bug in the aeros ´ s screen: it does not show the tempo that comes from ableton live. but that does not matter because the aeros follws the tempo that ableton live sends.
have in mind to set the track delay in ableton live because without that the tempo does not match properly.

it doesn’t over here. as I said all settings are as you suggested in the Aeros, also in Ableton.

I followed a detailed Ableton tutorial to sync external devices. The funny thing is both instructions for the Aeros and Ableton say if you do such and such steps and sync isn’t happening then the other device has some setting wrong… but the truth is now Ableton is recognising the midiface and sending the clock there so it sounds to me like it’s the Aeros at fault as it’s not picking up the signal.

As far as I understand it, receiving MIDI Sync is an automatic process that always should occur when quantisation is on in the Aeros, no other setting needs to be enabled and there is no setting for that specific function.

In Ableton, so long as sync is enable and the specific device’s sync box is ticked it should also be an automatic process, but it’s simply not happening

please let us check every setting on the aeros and every midi connection.
then we can compare everything.

you’re super kind

I can send you screenshots or if you’re up for it we could do a screenshare on zoom. Perhaps the later is easier

let me know

lets zoom in a few hours…let ´ s say 5 pm (4 hours from now). ok?
and please prepare the zoom meeting so that i can join…thanks…
please send everything via pm-

sent the link via PM thanks so much and see you at 5pm CET
thanks!