Missing the non-beat-buddy-acoustic-realtime-performer features

I suspect that I’ve brought in too many points into one single request.

What I’ve learnt in addition is that you are going to provide lock tracks soon. What is the timeline for this roughly?

1 Like

Another learning: It might be helpful to point out issues rather than concrete requirements or feature requests. Let’s try and resume the most important restart after stop topic.

Example in 2x2 mode: Track 1 is recorded, track 2 also. After some choruses I’d like to stop the song (for dynamic/musical reasons) and then restart track 1 only (taking in account that track 2 would also restart in muted mode). I’m not able to manage this with less than 3 clicks and some unwanted notes in addition.

Ex 1: Click on track 2 (restarts all, track 2 in overdub mode) + click on track 2 again for changing to play mode + double click on track 2 for muting it.
Ex 2: Click on start/stop all + double click on track 2
Ex 3: Click on
All options take much to long are risky in a live performance

What I would prefer: Single click on track 1 for starting it in play mode. Is there a solution for this now or one of the next releases?

Hi, this is not meant as an issue. It’s listed as 1 out of 4 basic features. Happy to have this available.

Thanks. I missed this during testing

Usually, looping beginners are keen on building up as many layers as possible and have some tracks for this. Most of the multitrack devices are good at this. And this is what sounds then like all that looper stuff.

Please do not take this as your benchmark. This is basic. What we are expecting is a device that supports creative ideas and provides flexibility to not sound the same again. If there is an expansion needed, then that’s the way it is. Nevertheless, it’s sexy to use the one and only small device for adhoc sessions, parties, etc. working on a 9V battery pack :slight_smile:

About marketing and prices: The Headrush street price in Europe is only 10% above Aeros … and size matters - on our pedalboards.

I forgot to mention there is a “Press” function for the Stop/play all, and that will make starts and stops immediate and not on the release. As far as playing track at different times, we actually don’t like this about the HeadRush, it’s confusing. We far prefer mute options.

If you record track 2 as an overdub instead, you can undo the track (long press) while it is stopped and it wont play when you restart.

I’d say about a month while we finish the MIDI update and then do Lock tracks.

1 Like

Thanks. Sounds good! This is worth waiting.

Thanks Brennan. I appreciate your quick answers and your responsiveness.

Proposal doesn’t work if track 1 and 2 have different lenghts. (and this is the case with beat on track 1)

Again, I do not understand the workflow behind the Aeros implementation when it Comes to restart.

What I’m used to and what I’m expecting: Start/Stop all restarts all tracks (like Aeros does). Restart track 1 should make track 1 sound, not both. And it should restart in play mode instead of overdub. As soon as a track is loaded playback priority is higher than overdub when restarting.

Again, this is against the integral nature of the Aeros. The UX scroll will not work with tracks playing at different times. The overdub command is there because the play function is mean to playback a recording, not start the track from a stopped point.
The Play/Stop all button is the only button on the Aeros that starts playback from a stopped state.
You can also record to and undo track 2 before it starts playback again. You can redo it and it will resume playing.

I’ve accepted your statement about the integral nature of the Aeros and playing tracks at different times. You are the designer :-). Nevertheless, I do no share your opinion that Headrush is confusing by providing this.

About restart after stop: Your proposal is not working. I’m not talking about long pauses with time for muting tracks in between. It’s more about short stops of 1 or half a bar.

And: In Aeros 2x2 mode there are currently three (!) options to restart all tracks: a) start/stop all, b) click on track 1 and c) click on track 2, while b and c restart th respective track in overdub mode. What I’m asking for is very close to this. Restart the one you click in play mode and restart the other one in muted mode. Why not including a song setting as described earlier to make this feature possible.

Sorry for insisting: The looper me and my colleagues are looking for is not the one with the highest number of tracks and overdubs. Start/stop/restart variablility is one of the most important features on our priority list.

2 Likes

You are very right I forgot the play and overdub from stopped, excuse me

I don’t believe there would be a way to achieve what you are asking for without a MIDI controller, the short amount of time makes an immediate mute necessary.

Maybe one last possibility, may not work. You can start and stop playback from the mixer screen, once you are ready to stop the playback, be sure you are in the mixer screen with the track you want muted selected, then hit Stop All, and then hit the button to mute the selected track on mixer (mute is always immediate from mixer screen). This may feel a little clunky but is a possible workaround without needing a MIDI controller.

We haven’t mapped the Aeros for MIDI responsiveness, but this is our next task.

Thanks again for discussing this. And here one last trial from my side to convince you of a significant improvement.

1. Please ask 10 musicians what effect they would expect after stopping a part (e.g. Always in the last bar of a blues chorus) and then clicking on e.g. track 2.
    a) starting all tracks and overdubbing track 2 after each and every chorus or
    b) start playing track 2 solely.

Bet, at least 8 out of 10 would opt for b). And to make all of them happy, simply make a song setting “restart track after stop: Play/Overdub”

1. About consistency: If track 2 is muted while part is playing. Currently, a click on track 2 restarts track 2 in play mode (obviously not in overdub mode).
    If you do the same thing while part is stopped (for song dynamic purposes), track 2 restarts recording in overdub mode (and by the way, spoils an undo option by doing so). Can you explain this consinstency breach?

I definitely see some applications for the as-is behaviour. However, it’s not the majority. My proposal: Provide a song setting as mentioned above. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I don’t fully understand you here
I ask that you please only use “overdubbing” when recording a layer on top, right now I’m not totally sure if the track you’re talking about has a base layer or not
Have they already recorded both the A and B (part 1 and 2) in this scenario, or only the A?

It’s not really a question of consistency, the Play/Stop all is the only command meant to only playback, the RPO buttons will always give a command to change the current state of the track.

You will need to be a little bit more clear about this use-case, as I’m still not seeing the rationale.

Hi Brennan, about your question: Yes, both tracks 1 and 2 are recorded before stopping. Then I want to restart only track 2.

About RPO button and consistency: I’m fine with this “core principle”. However this workflow refers to a continuously playing a track:
R - P - O - P - O - P - …

However, there are some more events in between, that must be handled consistently as well, like Mute (M) and Unmute (U).
R - P - (O - P - ) M - U - O - P - …
After M there must come a U (which is the same like P, by the way) on single click. Or would you ever expect a track to directly switch into O-mode after M on single click?

Same for Stop and Restart. After (S) there must come a restart R (which is the same like P again) on single click.
R - P - (O - P -) S - R - O - P - …

What Aeros does now is overdub (instead R) of after stop:
R - P - (O - P - ) S - O - P - …
and this generates one more layer after every stop!?!? This does not make sence in two ways. Consistencywise and in a musical way. After building up our musical stuff we want to perform a song (with musical pauses :-)) and not build higer stacks again and again.

Thanks for taking this important thing onto your next sprint Backlog.

1 Like

Hey there I find it highly unlikely we will add more toggles to the buttons, that would highly overcomplicate things and it is not the route we are thinking of going towards.

There is no way to “start” parallel tracks at different times on the Aeros. This is an integral part of all DAWs and the Aeros. We are not considering changing that core-functionality of the Aeros. I’m sorry, but I cannot consider adding something to the dev list until it makes sense to do so. Changing the buttons to play mode won’t change the fact that the Aeros isn’t made to do this.

There is no looper that can maintain separate parallel tracks in sync while also doing this.

Hi Brennan. This is a total misunderstanding. I do NOT talk about about starting parallel tasks at different times!! When I say start I mean “START SOUNDING”. Please ask a colleague to read this. Or read my last two posts again considering this :

T1 is recorded, T2 is recorded, then stop all (example: blues at bar 12)
Click on T2 sould start both tracks, however, only T2 sounding. T1 should start muted. Everything is in sync.

Two reasons why this is important:

1. Currently Aeros start/stop all starts sounding both tracks. This is fine: “restart all” is what is expected. So T2 or T1 should do something different. See 2.
  2. Single click on RPO button after stop all should restart the respective track in play mode instead of overdub (as Aeros does currently). Nobody wants to add additional layers by restarting a track after stopping the song. The other track sould start muted and in sync.

This is what each and every multitrack looper I’ve ever used does: RC300, RC505, Ditto X4, EHX22500, Headrush. For good reasons. It’s what musicians need.

This is important and very close to what Aeros does. If you still think this is against the Aeros logic let’s have a call. Probably, my English is that confusing.

1 Like

Ok, we may have a solution here, stay tuned

@popa thanks for your feedback. We opened a poll here to see if everyone agrees with you regarding this feature.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for listening :slight_smile:

2 Likes