MIXING DRUM SETS

Ok, this is very weird!
I did what you suggested, and there was NO sound at all when I added the newly created midi file to the song.
I played the other midi tracks that are within the song and they play just fine, but the new midi file that I added didn’t sound at all.

This is the point where I say send me the kit and the .sng files. I don’t know if you can send a kit size attachment.

Please let me know if you got these ok.

This is the actual Brushes midi file I’d like to use in with this Jazz song

I need to see the drum kit that you created. A pbf is a set of songs. I need the .drm.

I didn’t create a drum kit remember? I simply “added an instrument”
That was the brushes wav files…I added them to the Jazz-7 drum set, gave the instrument a midi-ID 40…that was it.

Ok. I’ll do this up in the morning and show you how I would have done it. It helps knowing that you have Logic Pro X. That means we’re using the same tools.

Ok…again thank you so much for all of you help Phil! I really appreciate it!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fwabt027ayc7kt/Another%20Round%20with%20Kit.zip?dl=0

I think what happened was that you created an instrument in your Jazz drumkit, but you did not add the wav files to it. I can’t know for sure, since you didn’t send me the kit. But, based on what you sent, this looks like what you wanted. I added the brush snare to the Jazz Kit at midi 40, and edited the Brushes 45 Beat 3_4 Half Time Pop to move the snare to midi 40.

You’ll just have to import the new kit, called Jazz Sticks with brush snare, and your song, Another Round, and you should be set.

Now myself, what I would have done, would have been to delete some samples from the Jazz kit to make space. Maybe delete instruments I knew weren’t used in the song, and then bring over all the used sounds from the brushes kit, again, maybe not using all three different samples per velocity. Then I would have mapped the brushes midis to the new sound locations in the Jazz kit, just like we did with the snare, moving form 38 to 40. But, what I sent you works, so enjoy and give me a credit on your album.

That’s the strange part…I did add the wav files for the brushes to the jazz kit, but I didn’t save it as a “New Kit.”
I didn’t realize that I needed to do that. I thought that all I needed to do was add an instrument to an already established kit, give the newly added wav files a midi-ID (40 in this case), and then move the snare from midi-ID (38) to (40).
Obviously I still don’t fully understand how this all works, but I’ll get it…especially when good people like yourself are so willing to help those of us who don’t know what we’re doing! Again…thank you Phil!!!
I wish I did write that song “Another Round” :slight_smile: It’s a song written by the Foo Fighters.

FYI…everything worked perfectly!
You know…I’ve tried watching some videos on how to do this, and I guess I’m very dense because what I try to do doesn’t work, so I must be doing something quite wrong. Would you consider making a couple of “How to” videos on how to make drum sets in BB Manager? I know it may be a lot, but I’m sure thousands of people would watch your videos. At that point…You could make some money because of the amount of hits you’d get, that is because of how many people that would watch and learn from your videos! Just a thought. :slight_smile:
Thanks again Phil!!! I hope you don’t mind, but I will be sending you messages in the future regarding things I just don’t understand as I try to learn this stuff! Maybe one day I’ll have it down well enough to help others like you’ve helped me! Thank you!!!

One more question Phil…how do you know what midi-notes are what? Do you have a midi map or something that tells you which ones are open? I guess I’m asking how did you know to switch the Brushes to midi-ID 40?
You knew that in the Jazz drum kit certain sounds were on certain midi notes, and you compared them to the brushes and saw what was the same and what wasn’t…then you told me that midi-ID 40 was open, so I could use that ID for the brushes to add to the jazz kit.
The weird thing for me is I thought I followed your instructions to the letter, but mine still didn’t come out right :frowning:
Oh…and can you please explain how you were able to pull a drum kit in from Logic Pro X?
You did that for me previously and I haven’t been able to pull that into BB. I want the “SoCal” drum set in BB…it’s one that I use a lot in Logic, so when I’m creating beats for BB, it would be simple to be able to use that set and be done with it. :slight_smile:

The only way to know which midi spaces are open is to open the kit and see where things are placed. Yes I do use a midi map. There is a standard called General Midi (GM), that defines where drum tones should be placed, if you want to follow the standard. You can find maps on-line, but I like this one. that I’ve attached.

So if you look closely, you can see that the snare gets assigned to midi 38 and to midi 40. We already had a snare at 38, so we put the new one at 40. If there were snares in both places, I would have used 34. I try to follow the GM standard with my kits. When I need to add a tone or two, I work from 34 on down. Instead of wasting 33 on a metronome, I use the claves at 75.

Saving the kit with a new name is a critical step in the process, as is changing the name in the Drumkit editor. Otherwise, BBM sees two kits with the same name, and it will never load the new kit. I have had this happen with good user created kits, and the only work around was to get the new kit loaded into BBM on another computer, change the name in the BBM drumkit editor, save it, then re-upload to my main computer.

As for videos, that’s for you young guys. I would only have a phone or iPad to film with, and I don’t really know how to live film what I do on the computer screen. Plus, I still have a couple hundred songs I need to get arranged for Beat Buddy.

Ah…well thank you for your hard work…and the midi map!!

Hey Phil, when you get some time can you please tell me how you exported the drum kit from Logic Pro X?
I’d like to export the “SoCal” drum kit from Logic Pro X to use to add as a drum kit. What are the steps I need to take?

I didn’t have to export drum kit sounds for your kit. We used sounds already in the BB. But, I can show you how to do it. I’ve used Logic to make a whole bunch of samples, and I was planning on making a new kit tomorrow anyway. It’s gonna require a rather involved step by step tutorial. You also might need a program called Switch from NCH Software. Logic, for me, seems to add artifacts to samples that keep them from working in the BB. Switch gets rid of those artifacts. Switch is free for a tryout, and, as I recall, the purchase price was under $25 for a full version. It also does a couple other things that are real useful for making kits.

I see…
I was referring to the last time you assisted me a few months back. You actually provided me with “Modern Machines” which is a drum kit in Logic Pro X that I was trying to use in BB. Somehow you sent me that drum kit and it worked for what I needed. Maybe you simply switched midi notes or something. If it’s that involved Phil, I won’t bother you with it. You’re busy enough. I appreciate it though.
Plus I’m not sure I want to invest in another program when I probably won’t be trying to pull too many kits from Logic anyway.

Ok. I remember making that kit. Yes, I definitely had to run the samples through Switch. I was planning on making a STAX records inspired r&b kit, and the So-cal drums could work for that. I’ll make a So-cal kit to use as the basis for the STAX kit. It’s a lot easier to make than to explain, and you probably would need Switch.

Thank you for doing that Phil!! You rock!!!
So…I would definitely need to purchase Switch in order to pull some of the kits from Logic Pro huh?
I mean…I’m not doing the job you’re doing. You are making beats left and right, so I understand.
It’s not the money for me either. I’m just wondering if I need to purchase this program that I may not use very often just to pull a few drum sets.
I can’t thank you enough Phil.

I was not able to get ANY samples from Logic Pro to work without Switch. With it, they all work. But, you know, make a sample wav or two, but them into a test drum kit, see if it works. Maybe your version of Logic doesn’t have the evil Voodoo spell that mine does.