Momentary vs. Latching switches...

Hi everybody. I’m new here, and new to the BB. So hello all, and nice to meet you.

I’ve been having fun, jamming more creatively than I ever have with this awesome new tool / product / enhancement / what have you.

Jamming (for now) mostly in the quiet of my studio-apartment studio… the clickety clack of the BB’s footpedal switch was something of a bother. Especially when the tapes rolling and the mic’s are live.

Upon researching I found a blog, as you can too, with some information on swapping in new momentary switches. Having recently made a homemade footswitch for my Jamman Solo II. This seemed like a doable project and was much more straight forward.

I ran out and bought 2 momentary switches for under 4 bucks, and ran home to swap them in with some simple soldering.
Yes, my leg’s were tired.lol.

I have it done and set up the BB for that type of switch and went to jam. I’ve noticed some differences I didn’t see anyone mention so I wanted to bring them up here…

You’ll know why they’ve used these louder click pedals once you’ve swapped over. I would recommend making your own custom footswitch so you can have both to try. However if you modify your original pedal it’s not much of a big deal to just put it back as it was if you so decide… As I understand it the click isn’t an issue in louder music settings such as a live performance and a PA.

With my new momentary switches, There’s more to it than just loosing the click,…
what I’ve found it the sound isn’t deployed until release… = your foot’s upward motion.

The original switch provides the sound -“on stomp” then you can lift your foot off at your leasure.
This makes it easier to get the sound out on time. especially if your foot was a bit late. Works best with a heavier soled shoe (my personal preference) and louder music.

With the MS, you have to have a quick tap and release procedure and you can get the sound out on time, or maybe even just a micro second late. That’s where your preference will come in. You can however tap barefoot, and without any sound. Good for jamming with the brushes kit, relaxing at home.

The other plus’s are;
this tap and release technique is the same movement you use to for the most of your pedals so it standardizes the the things your leg has to do while your trying to perform.

And there becomes another technique where you can rest your foot on the switch early and lift off when required. That might work better in certain performances. namely a quiet one. Like an acoustic cafe performance where the drums are to sound as a surprise to the audience.

So over all I suggest making a second separate box so you can have both.

Sorry, I found the right search bar, and found plenty of talk on this forum the switches.
My appologies if this is old news.

No need to apologize! Nothing matters more than the post count :slight_smile:

Hi,
Are your momentary switches " Normally open " or " Normally closed " ?. Whatever you are using, try the other type. This might solve your trigger release problem. Let us all know your findings.

Cheers

Have you used the footswitch detector, in settings? I swapped mine with no issues.

I too went through the same exercise of swapping out the stock latched switches with normally open (and quieter) switches. Reconfigured them in the “foot switch” configuration settings, etc. If I set a switch to play an accent like a cymbal crash, it plays the sound as soon as i step on (close) the switch. However, If I set a switch to “tap tempo” it acts weird. I was hoping it would mimic the tap tempo rubber switch on the BB but it doesn’t. It takes off on some speeded tempo that doesn’t seem to correlate with my tap speed on the foot switch. Any ideas?

If I were an Engineer I’d recommend you consider buying momentary foot switches that are tried and proven in the music instrument/pedal industry. Example; Fender has used Carling brand switches. You can research at Amprepairparts.com and other sites, and buy wherever you find a good price and shipping.

Thanks for the info. Actually I am an engineer and the switches are Carling heavy duty industrial grade switches intended for foot switch applications. I have a ton of them and have used them many times in my pedal projects. Thanks

Then you know what I’d be doing with something like this.
http://madisonco.com/index.php/products/liquid-level/single-point/product/63-m4189-tlit-float-sump-switch.html

Thanks Man!!! This worked. After the swap, I just set the pedal for momentary switches and went on. Using the detector was the way to go.
So disregard my first post… The switches will work totally normally once detected.

For the person that asked,…Upon detection the pedal lists my switches as normally open. The radio shack packaging didn’t say. So it look’s like my new momentaries are normally open and the original’s must be normally closed… explaining why just setting to momentary had them act the way they did, the pedal was waiting for the switch to ‘open’.
Thank goodness for the detection feature…smart thinking! I’m still going to create another back-up pedal using the originals.

Going back I’d just make a new box for the momentaries and leave the original switch alone, or better yet just have done some more reading and used my jamman foot switch