My OnSong setup with BeatBuddy

Yes I would love to see a quick diagram of how you are running your signals. This would be helpful. I think many of us that use Ipads are hoping a quality OS looper would one day be integrated.

1. it works like most guitar effects programs. There are 8 banks, each bank has 4 patches. The screenshot I provided is a patch. A patch can have up to 4 loops (aligned with the buttons, though you can reassign what button 3 and 4 do)

2. I use an iRig pro duo. I provided a link. I use one of the newer iPad camera connection cables that allows you to charge whilst having a USB device connected.

3. yes, that’s the whole point. The looper is synced to the beat you’re playing.

4. yes the looper and onsong are on the same iPad.

I’ll record a video with my phone showing how it works and how I’ve put it together. It’s not tricky.

Thanks for the reply, It is close to what I need but I need something that will hold around 100 different song patches, that I can use while playing out live. This way I can just have all my loops pre-recorded and not worry about it. At the moment I am using a 45000 looper and can record 100 different patches for the songs we use. Would love to have this done on a IPAD. What a neat concept

I just had a quick look and I missed the button at the top that allows you to a more banks. Seems you can add as many as you like.

Now you have my attention. Excellent.

I purchased the software. How are you connecting the Irig to the IPAD. I see you have the iRig on your board, also what needs to be done to get the OnSong MIDI to control the Looper? I can get it to switch patches, but it only goes by 2. Not to the exact patch I need. Could you explain how you set up your MIDI, and are you still using the Puc?
Thanks

1. I’m connected via USB using the CCK (camera connection kit). Make sure to get one of the newer ones that allows you to charge as well (see http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91)
  2. I’m in the beta program for the next version of Quantiloop which is currently set to release on the 31st of January so it has a lot of new functionality that you may not have in the older version (it’s a free upgrade). In the new version, there’s some MIDI icons at the bottom of the screen and in there there’s an option to Accept Program Changes.
  3. Not sure what you mean by ‘it only goes by 2’. In OnSong I’m sending a MIDI event with…
    Type: Program
    Program: <Whichever number of patch I want e.g. 0 = 1A, 5 = 2B etc…>
    In the beta I’m using this is a little buggy and doesn’t always work. I’ll let them know about it and hopefully it will get fixed soon.
  4. Not using the PUC. I have a USB cable from my iPad plugged into the iRig Duo. The iRig Duo has both MIDI and Audio IN/OUT. It’s the smallest device on the market that I can find that does everything.

Here’s a brief video of my setup and how it works:

That is really excellent, I emailed the developer and he said the same thing, that by the end of the month there will be a upgrade coming, so with the current version I have it will not do Program Changes.
What about using the headphone jack out for audio, would you recommend doing that?
Does the IRig need to be plugged in to have the OnSong work? Is the BeatBuddy the Slave or the Master that you are using?
I was was wondering if I could use my Puc+ instead.

Ruairiau- I have tried using blueboard via wireless bluetooth before with another ios looper and I experienced slight latency enough to make punching in on the beat impossible. Have you tried punching in on time (on the beat)? And if so have you experienced this latency? Or do you use the looper more in the capacity as setting a pre- trigger so when it counts to 4 then it loops? I hope this makes sense what i am asking?

1. I wouldn’t use the headphone jack for anything other than practicing.
  2. The iRig Pro Duo needs a 9v power supply (same as most guitar pedals).
  3. I use the Beat Buddy as a Master midi clock. But it really doesn’t matter; you could set Quantiloop, Onsong or any other app to be the master. I only really do it this way because in my previous setup my MIDI connection was via bluetooth (using the PUC+) and you can’t send a MIDI clock over that, so I just sent the BPM and let the Beat Buddy do the clock.
  4. You won’t be able to sync the Beat Buddy with Quantiloop using a PUC+; bluetooth midi cannot handle a midi clock, it’s just too much data. If you want a cheaper setup, use a cheap USB-MIDI cable (like this https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Cable-Converter-Keyboard-Window/dp/B0017H4EBG) and maybe some cheap audio interface that works via the headphone jack (like this: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/).

Even without any latency, trying to punch in on a beat is hard. I used to play in a duo where I played bass with a guitarist/singer who used a Boss RC30 loop station and he was very good with it; but it was never perfect. The real skill came in covering up the slight offset caused by imperfect loops - it’s hard with guitar and bass and damn near impossible if you have a drummer as well.
With most good loopers (Quantiloop included), when you have a MIDI clock coming in from something like the Beat Buddy, when you punch in/out it is quantized to the nearest bar or measure. You can set it up like you’ve described where the looper will end the loop after a pre-defined amount e.g. 4 bars. But, by default, the looper will start/stop at the nearest bar when you tap the pedal so that your loops are perfectly in time (kinda similar to how the Beat buddy works when you do a fill or stop).

I actually have ordered the iRig Duo, and the IRig Blueboard, along with the the Apple adapter you so kindly shared the info with. I also ordered the IK Multimedia to hold the Duo on the stand. I also will run the DUO with a power adapter, I have several 9 volt adapters to choose from.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ik-multimedia-iklip-xpand-mini?pdpSearchTerm=iklip

Thanks for answering all my questions. One other, with the MSB and LSB, what happens if you want more then 128 recorded patches. what is the the process to get to the LSB 1, to start another 128 files?
Thank You

In the beta I have, there’s only 64 patches available for each bank (1A -8D) but the dev told me he can extend this. I’ve suggested allowing a MIDI command to change banks also so that there is an infinite amount of patches. We’ll see what he manages to come up with.

Just chiming in here with a couple of answerrs:

• LSB/MSB: Looking at this for version 2.x. Also in 2.x probably the number of patches will become 100 per bank (A0 to J9).
  • Button Latency: As Ruairiau said. As long as you are playing with someone (a band) or something (e.g. Beatbuddy) there is no way to ever be in time. However if you are playing as an individual performer with just Quantiloop, then the blueboard will be fast enough. The main reason why many IOS loopers do not respond in time is not the bluetooth, often they respond on up rather then down. It’s possible to create very tight loops with the blueboard.
    However as this is the beatbuddy forum I assume you would be playing with the beatbuddy, in in that case QL will quantize to either beat or bar.
  • Bluetooth clock:
    Just to add to Ruairau again, the Yamaha bluetooth adapters actually give quite a solid MIDI beat and are useable for that purpose. However they do seem to interfere with the blueboard in my setup. For home OK, for stage I would always go wired.

I wanted to see how well the BeatBuddy would work with the Puc+ sending MIDI Clock signal to the Quantiloop by hooking up the Puc+ on to the MIDI out of the BeatBuddy, and it seem to work fine. Not sure if that is what you meant by “you can’t send a MIDI clock over that, so I just sent the BPM and let the Beat Buddy do the clock.”
Thanks

Just curious- why the Duo for 2 channels? I understand the need to hardwire to send tempo as compared to the PUC over BT. Can it just be done with another IK MM product that is cheaper?

I dont see any reason why not, as long as you have midi and audio. Should work just fine.

My Bb goes direct to my PA and I do not loop or record my BB so I am thinking as long as the midi only on the BB is connected to a mono version of the Duo like interface (for midi tempo and song changes) and my guitar then goes into the interface for the the looper then I should be good to go right? Just cross checking my logic. Just wondering why Ruairiau has chosen the Duo? Thanks for putting up with the 100 questions Ruairiau.

A midi clock works by sending a pulse out 24 times per quarter note. The time is measured between each pulse and some maths is used to adjust the BPM. So on lower BPMs (say less than 120) it might work fine, but as you go higher that pulse gets faster and faster, so you’ll start to see the BPM fluctuate as the wireless bluetooth signal will struggle to transmit that much data. Hope that explains it.