My OnSong setup with BeatBuddy

Yes. I just use a dual interface so that I can plug a microphone in there as well. Also, I bought the DUO because of its form factor; it’s about the size of a guitar pedal, runs of guitar pedal power and fits snugly in my pedal board.

I’m not looping or recording the beat buddy either; it’s just in sync with the looper using the MIDI clock. And yes, what you’ve said should work. Although I don’t know of many interfaces that do MIDI IN/OUT + mono audio and are much cheaper and work with iOS. Maybe post the device here before you buy.

Oh I thought the iRig Pro I/O or the Irig pro was the same but with one input instead of 2 was the same as the Duo? If not then I see your point. The Duo it will be. I am still working out the looper functions to match it as close as I can to the Rang3. So far it seems like it could replace my Rang.

I think you’re right about the iRig Pro I/0; it’s a new device that seems to be just a mono version of the DUO. So it should work fine. I’d suggest having a think about where you intend to place this device in your setup; it needs to connect to your iPad, your beat buddy and power. I keep mine in my pedal board as both the Beat Buddy and power are there, I then run a USB extension cable from there to my iPad.

If you don’t place it in your pedal board, you’ll have to keep it near your iPad, run power to it and have MIDI cables running to wherever you have your Beat Buddy. So have a good think about it, you don’t want a load of cables all over the place.

As for replacing the boomerang, yes it will and more. I’ve played with the boomerang and side car and it’s a heap of fun, but bulky and expensive.

Man I wish I would of waited for that newer model (iRig Pro I/O), that is all i needed. Will be out in April. Even will charge the Ipad when it is plugged in, that is cool.

For my setup, this ain’t ideal. That’s a propriety power supply (read the specs, it’s 5.4VDC) - so that’s a separate power supply you need to connect. As for charging your iPad, it will need to be somewhere near the iPad as the cables are short; then the MIDI cables will be dangling out of the side of it and down to the beat buddy.
So assuming you attach this to your microphone stand next to your iPad, that’s 5 cables jutting out of this device (Guitar, power, USB, MIDI IN& OUT). So as I said in my previous post, have a good think about how you intend to set this all up.
These are all problems you need to deal with when you look at any device. So what may be a show stopper for me may be ok for you. But it’s certainly something you need to give some thought.

Yea, see what you mean, was thinking about mounting it to the pedal board, getting the USB extender, which also allows to have this devise plugged in all the time, saves setup time. It also has less chance of getting broke.

I just downloaded the newest version, and what an update for the Quantiloop.
Hopefully, going to try it out this weekend.

Wow- I just upgraded too and played with the new version Quanitiloop a little last night. This thing is amazing. Guys I use some pedal effects and my line 6 M9 pedal is tempo synched to my BB. This is awesome so that my delays and modulation effects are always in synch. I have downloaded ios amplitude (guitar effects) and it plays nice with Quantiloop. Here is my challenge… none of the ios guitar effects appear midi sync to midi clock. If I can find one that does and that I can control via bluetooth midi footpedal I may be able to ditch my traditional pedal board. Any ideas? I know quantiloop has delays and chorus etc… But my main need is for the delay is to be able to adjust the mix with a foot controller and that it matches the midi clock tempo. As you are experimenting let me know if you have any ideas.

Ok. I hope I’m not posting this in the wrong spot but my goal is to use the Beatbuddy with Onsong.
I’ve been copying and pasting “songs” or what I think of as beats into a folder I created called “song list” on the Beatbuddy manager. There I adjust tempo to fit the given song and rename it accordingly.
My question is when I eventually link the Beatbuddy to Onsong will it read the newly created file and tempo I’ve changed it to or will it read the default tempo the pattern had before I copied and pasted it?
I just want to make sure I’m not going through all this work to find it doesn’t work that way…
Thanks for any insight.
Cheers

I use Tone Stack and it does sync the MIDI clock.

Ruairiau- thanks I will download that tonight and give it a try. Curious- do you use 1x Blueboard to control Tone Stack and the looper via banks (since i would likely use all 4 buttons for the looper)? Or would I need 2x blueboards? I really appreciate your experience with this.

It will read the tempo you have set up in the BeatBuddy. Unless you put the CC Commands to tell it to do a different tempo it will stick with what you already program. If you are just using Control Change 32, you will not effect the beat speed at all.

I only have one irig blueboard but I don’t generally change tones and control the looper at the same time.
I’d imagine that 2 blueboard would work, just set one to program change mode and the other to MIDI mode - this is explained in the manual; you start up through blueboard holding down one of the buttons to change the mode.

Got it thanks.

Sat down with the the Quantiloop Looper today and can not make heads or tales with it.
Not sure if I have a bad iRig Duo or it is the looper software or maybe just me… The midi sync to a drum machine is a freaking night mare. Tried to lay down a loop with the BeatBuddy as master, had zero luck getting it to work.
Could not lay down a track for the life of me trying to sync the BeatBuddy with it. The Midi would kick my iRig in and out, therefore the sound would come in and out. When I did get a small loop down it would not sync with the drum machine. Maybe I have a bad IRig if not the software has a bug, or I have no clue what I am doing… I am not new to loopers have had many hardware loopers, so I know my way around loopers, and MIDI, at least I thought I did… At this point I am still trying to figure this software, again or I was sent a Bad iRig. Good thing I did not sell my 45000.

Probably just needs getting used to. I recall how much “fun” it was to get the BB working with a looper and all my other toys.

Be interested in hearing what you do to get it all working.

Well, here is what I found out, I bought a power adapter, and it made a huge improvement, if you are going to use the iRig Pro Dou you must have a power adapter to use it with the Quantiloop. but I am still having issues with the software being controlled by the BeatBuddy. For some reason it will not let me record, while it is slaved to the BeatBuddy, while the beatBuddy is running
Will keep at it. Have emailing the developer and he has been excellent at getting back with me, he is looking into it.

Don’t torture the dev too much with emails. I’m a dev too and it drives me crazy when I get bombarded with emails from people who won’t take the time to figure things out for themselves. If you’re gonna play with gadgets, you just gotta spend the time figuring them out. Only contact the dev if you find an actual bug, that’s replicatable and is a problem with their software.

I have the same setup as you and it works fine, so it’s likely any issues you have are configuration problems or user error. I’d suggest that you post up a video of any issues you have and hopefully myself or someone else will be able to help you out.

Well maybe you can help me out then. When connected to the Software with the BeatBuddy, with the BB as the master I Can Not record any loops with the BeatBuddy running. It will if it is Not running, but then again that serves no purpose. I have tried different ways to get this to work but it is not cooperating at all. The Midi sync works because I can change the tempo and the software changes with it. If you have something that will cure this I am all ears. I also have the same exact stuff you are using with the Duo, BeatBuddy, and IPAD with the Looping software.