My OnSong setup with BeatBuddy

When you say it won’t record, can you explain in detail? Does the button not work? Does it record silence?

It will not record period. It starts then stops, after a few beats. Nothing. Then it does it all over again.

Probably best to upload a video of the issue to youtube, then post the link on here. I can’t really understand your issue as you haven’t described it clearly enough for me to understand and I don’t want to keep asking you to clarify things; it will just get us both frustrated.

Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0azOWvYztUs

Thanks for that, that explains so much more than words.

At a guess, it looks like a MIDI stop command is being sent - although I have no idea how this could be happening. Try this, in Quantiloop, under Tempo > Sync to I think there’s an option to respond to START/STOP commands (I could be wrong, I’m not in front of my iPad right now. If it’s not there, check the MIDI icons down the bottom). Try disabling that.

OK, will try that

I tried to explain this in an email, maybe somebody can explain in other words:
As far as I understand, the MIDI stop is sent because you actually hit stop on the beat buddy.
This is correct behaviour. When stopping on the beat buddy it will send an immediate stop to QL, causing the recording to cancel (as the stop comes in.the middle of a measure).

In a normal case what you would do (correct me if wrong):

• Start recording
  • At some point when your loop is done tap the Track button in QL, so it moves from Rec into Play (or Dub depending on your setting).
  • Now it will close the loop correctly on the beginning of the next measure.

So to solve your problem.

• Either do as Ruairiau said and disable MIDI stop
  • Or close your loop on QL, by tapping the button there.
  • Do not use the beat buddy to close the loop.

Hope this helps.

Look, I am not sure what I am missing here. I started the drum machine and that is what the looper does period. I only started it to record a loop. I did not hit stop anywhere, on the drum machine, while it was doing that. I touch nothing but started the drum machine and tried to record the loop. It would not record.

Just want to thank the community for all of the resources here. Got a Beatbuddy a week ago and within a week, I’ve got 15 songs lined up to play at our gig Friday. Great support!

I received my Duo. I plugged it into the apple cam. conn kit adapter exactly like yours. It looks to me that the lights turn on without batteries and/or a 9 volt. Does it draw power from the usb or do I need the 9 volt? It appears to work without the 9 volt but want to make sure I am not short changing the unit some how? Does your power without a 9volt or batteries?

According to IK Multimedia, the Duo can be powered when connected to a device via USB, using batteries or via an adaptor.

“First, it lets you go off the grid and record great audio anywhere thanks to its comprehensive powering options — for true mobility iRig Pro Duo can be powered with two AA batteries and does not draw any power from a connected iPhone or iPad. When using the included USB or Micro USB to OTG cable connected to a laptop or Android device, iRig Pro Duo can be powered by the attached device or onboard batteries. Back in the studio? iRig Pro Duo can be powered with an additional DC power supply for powering extended recording sessions.”

OK thanks- I swear I looked at everything and did not catch it. Good to know. I will report my integration with quantiloop- tonestack for guitar - vocalive for voice - after this weekend.

Hey RaineMaker,
Sorry for the very late reply. I am current working out some kinks with my OnSong/BeatBuddy setup and have only played around with the Infinity Looper just a tad. My goal with the looper is to be able to use CC commands to switch to pre-recorded presets that will load when I change songs. So far, the only config I’ve done on the looper is to set it to Channel 2. I will gladly share the whole set up when I am done.

In short, my rig if very similar to ruairiau’s where I went with the PUC+ as my midi controller. At first I went with a wired iRig controller and quickly found myself in cable adapter hell on my iPad. Wireless BlueTooth is the cleanest way to go. I bought the AirTurn Quad to use to scroll through and change my songs. The Duo would also work fine because I found out there is a setting that will automatically scroll to the next song once you reach the end of the current song, but i like the control of the four pedals. A real cool feature of the AirTurn is that the controller can also be removed from the board and be used as a hand-held, which really convenient when my wife is there signing backup with me, she takes on the responsibility of scrolling through and changing the songs, limiting my need to tap dance.

I am currently looking into whether I can use the AirTurn pedal instead of the iRig Blueboard that ruairiau is using to send the CC commands directly to the BB. If I can do this, I would rather purchase another AirTurn Quad, one to control the BB and the other to scroll and change just to keep things simple. So far, I don’t think I can assign CC commands to the AirTurn like you can the Blueboard. If anybody out there already knows the answer, please let me know.

Also, one very cool thing I discovered is that is it possible to embed all the BB CC command inside the OnSong chart including stops, starts, fills, transitions and outros and assign them to parts of the song like Intro, Verse, Chorus. Using this feature, frees me up from even having to do this will my feet. It’s all programmed right into the chart. I am also hoping I can control the looper the same way.

Stay tuned . . . More to come.

Would love to know what settings you use to get your Quantiloop to function. I have had NO luck in getting it to work. I have tried, a different BB, Different Ipad, different DUO, different settings in the BB, and the Ipad, different cables, and to date is still will not function right. I have given up, the developer has been awesome in helping me out, but still we have no answers Are you using the BeatrBuddy as a Master to control Start/Stop of you Phrases? That is what will not work with my setup… Im back to my EHX45000.

It will power a little bit from the USB 5v, but it will reset itself if the current drops. So if you do something taxing like sending a MIDI clock, it will likely reset. This has been my experience.

Did you disable ‘Respond to Start/Stop’ like I suggested in my last post?

This is what makes this board so invaluable… User experience… I wondered why it kept resetting. 9 volt power adapter coming!

I did, but I think are you use your Quantiloop different then I do. Yea it will record, like it suppose to but the moment you put the Start/Stop back on to control it with the BeatBuddy, it acts all crazy. I want mine to start and stop with the BeatBuddy, just like my other loopers do.

I have the DUO, and if your are going to use MIDI at least mine,was that way, you must have it plugged in with a power supply plugged into the DUO. That was the only way I could get Mine to work right.

Larry- I have set my Quantiloop up to “immediately” start the loop on button 1 an immediately to stop on button four push. This works fine. However, I am also experiencing that the looper does not stop when I pause or stop BB. I am using the Duo and the blue board. I have not really targeted this issue yet to see if there is a setting to fix it as I was trying to retrain myself from my boomerang. I am not convinced I can replace my Rang3 yet. The developer suggested I retrain myself in this way for quantiloop.

" The arm-mode gives you a way to single tap to stop. (Please see the tutorial as well), but here is an example: (Ed Sheeran mostly loops this way"
Let’s assume you want to record 2 layers on track 1, 1 layer on track 2 and use single tap to stop:

1. First change the phrase setting to Overdub after Record (not mandatory) but for this example that makes more sence.
  2. Tap Loop1
  • Loop 1 Records
  1. Tap Loop1 again
  • Loop 1 overdubs
  1. Tap Loop 2
  • Loop 1 starts playing
  • Loop 2 records
  1. Tap Arm Mode
  • Both loops will now play and because you are in arm mode a single tap will now switch between
    Play or Stop

To leave arm mode so you can overdub again, either tap an empty track or tap arm mode.
So basically when you are done recording you always tap arm-mode instead of the loop button, which effectively replaces the dub action with a stop.
"