NEED HELP - Midi Loop Beat Library

Like many, I am not a computer scientist, though I am far from a novice. However, I need help.

I downloaded the Midi Loop Beat Library. Now what am I supposed to do with this? Is there a tutorial somewhere or video to explain to those of us who are not computer experts as to what we need to do next?

The lack of basic instruction for players like myself has been a source of continual frustration with the BB. Without using the midi capabilities and creation potential inherent in the BB, it becomes little more than a good drum machine. I really
want to maximize the potential here. The manual gives a good, general overview, but in no way addresses, for example, what we do with the Midi Loop Beat Library.

Any advice appreciated! I’ve checked out all the youtube videos but only find one or two with instruction, and even then,
a bit hard to follow.

Thanks.

Mike

Can you explain in a bit more detail what you are trying to do.
Have you watched my two tutorial videos? Did something in them not make sense?

The MIDI Loop Beat Library is just all the MIDI files that are on your SD card.

There are two reasons we put this available for download:

1. Backup if some of the MIDI files are missing or accidentally get deleted.

2. To enable you to edit and play around with the MIDI files without altering the content already on your BeatBuddy (and if you want, you can add and/or replace some MIDI files in some of your songs)

Thanks to both of you for answering.

Psalm40, thanks for the videos. Very informative. I did watch the videos several times and they answered many questions. I am still Midi confused, though. I used Midi many years ago (15) so I have a grasp of how it works, but I cannot figure out how to apply that old school knowledge to the BB.

For example, if I go to some website that creates/sells drum loops, and find some blues shuffle Midi loops or even songs that I like, and I purchase them, how do I get those to eventually wind up on my BB? The BB basic song list does not contain a true Chicago double-shuffle pattern, nor does it include a straight ahead Bo Diddley rhythm. However, i can find these exact rhythms/songs/beats on the internet for sale, but again – how would I then get them to my SD card and BB? Is that even possible?

I understand creating a song and modifying that is already programmed onto the SD card. I just cannot figure out this Midi usage. I have Studio One recording software on my computer, so I have that capability too, if that helps. It is like Pro Tools but MUCH simpler.

Again - any info appreciated - if not for you taking the time to help us, many of us would be totally lost. Thanks.

Mike

Also, you said that the loops were there if I wanted to experiment and create my own son

Hey Mike! Que pasa?

For example, if I go to some website that creates/sells drum loops, and find some blues shuffle Midi loops or even songs that I like, and I purchase them, how do I get those to eventually wind up on my BB?

You’ll have to create a folder in which to store the new MIDI files. I have begun adding a folder to the standard BB folder structure where the original MIDIs are stored, but it doesn’t matter, the BB Manager doesn’t care where they come from. Then, in BB Manager, from the song that you’re creating or editing, click on the part you want to replace with your new files and navigate to them. Select the file, click okay, and Bob’s your uncle. Or at least cousin once removed.

You can even import a complete song (within certain size limits) and insert it as the “Verse” with no other “parts” to the song – although you will have to be careful because the “Verse” part will loop.

Oh, wait: Make it the intro with no other parts. I bet that would work – although I haven’t tried it myself, so your mileage may vary.

The BB basic song list does not contain a true Chicago double-shuffle pattern, nor does it include a straight ahead Bo Diddley rhythm.

Sad but true. I’d also like to find a proper east-coast/Acadian shuffle, but no joy so far.

i can find these exact rhythms/songs/beats on the internet for sale…

If you are unsure, ask one of the vendors you’ve found for a sample. I haven’t found one yet that would not share a snippet with you to make sire they work for you.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I’m going out into the internet now to try to find something, procure it, send it to a BB folder, and see if it will play. If so, then I will be in good shape I think, except that if I buy an entire song, for example, then I won’t be able to do anything with it on the BB except play it, right? You can’t repeat bridges or fills or anything. You are stuck with it as is.
So maybe getting small loops to join together via BB is the way to go.

Will see and report back. Thanks.

Mike

You will struggle with adding a full song due to the 500 midi note limit. If you buy a commercial track you will need to remove all parts but the Drums and then chop it up into its various parts, save each part as a midi file and add it toa new song. I have done this once and for my own 3/4 beat I created and it does take a little while.

Hi Psalm40:

Thanks again for the info.

I see there are websites that have nothing but drum midi loops so I would not have to eliminate any other instruments.

I am just wondering if I can purchase a package of these, and use one that I particularly like to send to the BB manager or BB itself.

For ex: www.xinaudio.com

?
Thanks.
MIke

Most likely you will still need to process the MIDI files you’ll get.
All notes within that files should be supported by your chosen BeatBuddy drumset.