New BeatBuddy Firmware (3.6.0 "The Bug Zapper")

Where is the MIDI documentation for this firmware? I cant seem to find the midi settings documented.

I’ve asked about a MIDI Implementation chart several times. I don’t believe one exists. I did find the ‘document’ attached below, but it’s for v1.77 firmware. If there’s something newer I couldn’t find it either on their site or this ‘forum’. I did try to assemble a MIDI Implementation chart on my own, but gave up. The BeatBuddy is a decent pedal, but if I had an inkling before buying that documentation was going to be so poor I may have had second thoughts. I was thinking about the MIDI Maestro, not only for the BB, but a keyboard and some guitar pedals. If the BB is a preview for Maestro documentation, I’ll go elsewhere.
BeatBuddy-MIDI-Settings-Firmware-v1.77.pdf (301.6 KB)

I’ve also tried to collect the information on firmware updates which you might be able to piecemeal together to figure out the MIDI…
BeatBuddy Firmware History.pdf (258.6 KB)

1 Like

Agreed - The problem is that if you go elsewhere, you still don’t have a midi chart to use to program the “elsewhere” device.

And thanks for the firmware history link. I knew there were more commands than those found in the so-called Midi Manual, but I had no source for them.

Thanks. I’ve seen the 1.77 documentation before and was hoping for the documentation of the updates. I agree that it is not a good reflection on the BB (or Singular Sound) that official MIDI documentation is not maintained for a MIDI capable pedal.

For my workflow, I really would like the equivalent of a VST plugin for my DAW to control the pedal. The plugin could encapsulate the drum kit selected for the song and pass in the tempo from the DAW and then expose things like start/stop/transition/fill triggers. This would be great!

Currently I use it to lay down loops on a Ditto X4 and then record the BB and the X4 into the DAW together. If I need to add or modify drums later I will just use a VST plugin like EZ Drummer because it’s just way easier to work with.

The BB has a lot of potential though and I wish it was easier to use in this setting. It’s unfortunate that Singular Sound seems to have limited it’s focus in the BB as a live performance pedal and neglected it’s potential as a studio tool. I was similarly disappointed in the new Aeros as the focus there seems to be similar.

I’ve just started looking at foot controllers, so don’t know much about them other than the manuals I’ve downloaded. Both Behringer and Yamaha have MIDI implementation charts, plus the Yamaha had three pages covering the MIDI data format commands, as well as each function extensively covered in the manual.
Behr FCB1010

Yammie MFC10

@MarkF48 I wasn’t implying that Yamaha, et al, don’t include a MIDI chart. What I mean, is that without a MIDI chart from Singular, we are still left swimming upstream to get the BB to work with the midi controller.

2 Likes

Hi guys, here is the MIDI Implementation Document

Thank you, David. That helps quite a bit.

i am still somewhat confused on how to use an expression pedal to control volume and tempo, although I see how I could use one or more buttons for tempo, to increase decrease at various amounts. Would an expression pedal be able to send those same signal, and, if so, how?

And volume, yeah, that one is beyond me. I can see how to send a fixed volume, as guys have done using OnSong, but variable volume via expression pedal and midi seems like we are maybe waiting for an update?

Found the volume CC, my bad, duh. CC108, with low value 0, high value 100.

1 Like

A question from a non-nerd. Can any new SD card be used for BB? AND, if so, would you load the new firmware on it and then the new 2.0 vs files on that and be able to place in BB and work? Yes, I know it seems like an idiotic question for most of you, but not for me. I love my BB and have an important event coming up that I don’t want to screw up by overwriting my current card.

Max card size of 32GB. Aside from that, yes, any new SD card should work.

Yes, up to 32Gb, class 10. No need to format a new card as it’s ready right out of the box. If the pedal has been updated with the latest firmware, no need to add to card.

If you don’t want to replace any of your existing content yet, best to download the Default Content Update v2 from the SS site, unzip and copy all file and folders to the SD card. Use the BBM to open Project from your SD card and when prompted to save to your computer, give it a name.

Thanks for the reply. It seems I can always count on you to respond. Does the new version also have all the up to date Premium Library on it?

Thanks for the response. Very much appreciated.

If you bought the premium library content, you should be able to log on to your account and download it.

I did, thanks.

I did this on an older 32G class 8 SD Card today so I can test the new default V2.0 without deleting my existing card. It seemed to work just fine although I did FAT32 reformat first.

The problem I have is the new default V2.0 no longer supports stop during pause by pressing/holding the main pedal. This must be a bug as I use this feature constantly when practicing or jamming and cant live without it now.

Any tips would be appreciated but looks like I tried default V2.0 too soon.

I believe that when you update the firmware, any settings you may have changed on the beat buddy itself will be reset to defaults. It’s it possible that this had happened to you?

You can change this behavior in the settings: Main Pedal>Main Pedal Unpause>Hold>Stop Song

1 Like