New computer

I’m looking at buying a new computer and I was wondering if you guys had a suggestion on memory size. I read somewhere for doing MiDi you should have at least 8gb of memory or is 4gb fine? Thanks

It depends on the number of apps that you will have open and using during the same session and how much RAM each app uses. I had 4Gb and it wasn’t enough to run Word and a DAW. I’d suggest a minimum of 8Gb and if you can buy and install your own, go with 16Gb.

I don’t run alot I just use the beat buddy manager midi and write beats on that . I only use my laptop for seaching for charts and working on my beats .

4Gb should be okay then, however, RAM Is inexpensive enough that if you can swing 8Gb, you will cover your present and possibly your future needs.

Ya thats what I figured. I’m gonna start storing all the pdfs,beats and zips on my external rather then on the computer

I hope I understood your question. RAM refers to the memory needed for your operating system and processing of apps. Storage memory refers to the size of the hard drive or SSD (solid state drive). If you get a 1Tb internal hard drive with your laptop (if you have a choice of HD speeds, opt for 7,200rpm), you won’t need to store data outside of your laptop—if you’re buying a laptop with an SSD instead of a HD, that’s a different matter and you should try to get 256Gb SSD. The size of any external HD should be at least double the size of the internal storage HD so that you have enough backup space for your laptop. I realize that this may be more than you asked for and I hope I’ve not muddied the waters.

persist,
Is there any actual spec on the Singular Sound site or elsewhere that gives the ‘minimum requirements’ for either PC or Mac machines? What version Windows, Mac or (Linux), memory, hard drive space for the BBM install, hardware (USB, SD card reader, etc). The only thing on Singulars site is this link http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?threads/beatbuddy-manager-software-1-64-win-mac.6232/ which is pretty much useless.
My own PC is Windows 7 64bit with 4Gb of RAM and 2.8Ghz. Haven’t encountered any problems running multiple programs including BBM. I would tend to think any machine you get today would not have any problem. MIDI itself shouldn’t present a problem for memory, it will be the program that is used to run and/or edit it. It doesn’t look like BBM uses a lot of memory when loaded, running, and the MIDI editor is opened. Don’t forget that most computers will have a section on the hard drive called ‘virtual memory’, which while not as fast as RAM does extend the usable amount memory for programs.
As persist suggested it is a very good idea to have an extra external drive to backup files and data and back up often.
[ATTACH=full]10132[/ATTACH]

^
Great questions! I don’t think there’s anything specifically stated by Singular Sound as to minimum requirements other than the recommended operating system. The BB uses USB 2.0 and all SD slot readers are able to read class 10 SDHC cards. As faster versions of USB (3.0, 3.1 and Type C) come with new computers, these newer USB versions should all be backwards compatible with USB 2.0. The BBM 1.6.x software as well as future versions probably won’t take up much hard drive space however, the data stored on the hard drive will require more space e.g., my bbworkspace now takes up 35Gb on the hard drive and continues to grow as I download more BB drum kits :slight_smile:

My Mac (running Mohave beta) is presently using 8Gb of RAM with the BBM, DAW and a browser open. With the DAW closed, my Mac uses 7.2Gb of memory. I’d be interested in learning what Windows 10 and the new Windows beta would reflect.

My suggestion is only my opinion and is based on my experience with the BeatBuddy Manager software. Newer operating systems now require at least 2Gb RAM. Assuming a user were to only use a new computer for just the current version of the BBM, 4Gb might be enough to get by for the time being but what demands will new versions of the BBM place on RAM? If Singular Sound adds more functionality to new releases will 4Gb continue to be enough? RAM (and hard drives and even SSDs) are now inexpensive enough that when a user has the money, RAM may be the cheapest way to improve the performance (and future-proofing of) a new computer.