New Product Announcement

https://www.sherlynsdesigns.com/phils-music-products.html

Hey All,

Well, I got it done ON TIME! The Little Black Drum Machine for Beat Buddy, or LBDM 4BB is available for purchase. This is a BB content package with 54 thirteen piece drum kits, 75 sets of song grooves, over 230 multi-sampled drums with over 2500 wav files, and over 750 midi files. It’s a whole bunch of content. The web site above has the purchase information and 5 demos of the grooves and kits.

While this started as a way to get the venerable Alesis SR-16 onto a Beat Buddy, it grew into more than that. Yes, 50 of the grooves use the Alesis grooves as their roots, but I added intros and outros and transitions. I edited fills. I transcribed parts. Parts were requantized when needed. Everything was adjusted to work with both Beat Buddy and Alesis tom mapping. And, very importantly, I added songs that were not part of the SR-16 which were selected to fill needs that Beat Buddy users have indicated were lacking in the original BB grooves - Latin grooves for Salsa, Bachata and Cumbia; Reggae Rock; House and Trance grooves; a Bo Diddley beat; new simpler slow ballad and shuffle grooves and more. In all, twenty-five new grooves types, were added.

And almost as a bonus, but certainly not as an afterthought, I added what I am calling drum kit rooms - a simple groove that lets you audition kick drums, snares and other pieces that were not included in the 54 kits that are part of the LBDM 4BB.

At the listed price on the website, it’s already a bargain at less than $1 per kit, but for all my compadres here on the Beat Buddy Forum, I have a way for you to get the whole package for $10 less. Just start a conversation with me using the Forum Conversation feature, or send me an e-mail at philflood@aol.com.

And, now that I have finished this two-month undertaking, I can get back to my usual process of creating songs for the Resources section!

2 Likes

Interested! Just sent an email to find out how to purchase.

Hey, Jeff, if you want to post your reaction to the project or a little review, I’d surely appreciate it.

Great sounds and rhythms Phil. Congratulations on what must have been a huge amount of work. Interested in purchasing the package and reviewing for you. Cheers.

I am not much of a reviewer, but I love the package!
Lots of new beats!
Thanks for all the work, Phil.

Sorry Phil, Thanks for getting back

I don’t know what happened I thought I sent a note right off to you. Anyhow, I’ll try again. Look in your conversations in a couple minutes.

Sent you a Paypal, Phil, Thanks again, you are a real asset to this forum. Will put out a review, in the future.

My review of the LBDM 4BB:

Let me begin by saying that there is a massive amount of content in this package. I have had the LBDM 4BB for about a week and I still feel I have barely scratched the surface. There is an absolute wealth of highly useful and usable content that you get. Now, I absolutely love the BB, it is probably the best accompaniment pedal/software product on the market. I, also really liked the stock kits and patterns, however, I always felt the stock content got close to what I was looking for, but was either missing something or patterns would just miss what I was hearing in my head. Enter LBDM 4BB. Just scrolling through the content and playing parts I would catch myself saying, “I could use this for song X and this for song Y…” With the drum patterns being, not only close, but spot on. The fills and transition (and there are a lot of them) also spot on…how, if I were playing the drums for a song, would want the beat to sound. They didn’t seem overly aggressive like a lot of the stock patterns can. The different parts of the songs transitioned smoothly from part to part with the added fills not feeling crammed in at all. The outros are very well done as well, and are long enough that they don’t end suddenly or strangely. Now keep in mind, as I said, there is a TON of content in this, so I am generalizing a bit. It was nice to see that some of the missing styles of music that came preloaded on the BB made it here; things like: Polka, Cumbia, Bachata, and Salsa. If you are like me at all, and like to play as much of many styles as you can, than you will very much enjoy this package. I really look forward to working with a lot of these in my DAW which will not require any exporting from the BBM as all the midi files of the patterns are included as well. The wav files are also included and organized so, really, you have a very flexible and useful way of putting together your own kit, if you so desire, but is hardly necessary with the 50 kits included. The pdf how to’s and info was also a nice touch. I really like when everything involved is just laid out neatly for you to do whatever you want in any fashion you want, and not hidden in folder after folder. All in all this really is a great value, and in my opinion should become part of the stock BB content. There didn’t seem to be any fluff, and you could tell that a lot of time and SERIOUS thought was put into the LBDM 4BB. Wonderful and well rounded. And, for as much as you get, inexpensive. All killer no filler.

1 Like

phil I see the link site doesnt accept payal,id that right?

Conversation started.

Hi Phil,

Pretty impressed by the beat buddy but I find most of the preset stuff so busy, I really need straight forward beats. I have to juggle playing bass and singing as well. So seriously looking at your LBDM, help to stream line this process for me. Either that or drum lessons… lol.

I have listened to the sound cloud samples and what is there seems pretty straight forward. Anything this newbie needs to be aware of. Been able to program my iPad and midi with onsong no problem, so that seems good. Would be great when there is better tempo control.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Denise

QUOTE=“Phil Flood, post: 38915, member: 6180”]https://www.sherlynsdesigns.com/phils-music-products.html

Hey All,

Well, I got it done ON TIME! The Little Black Drum Machine for Beat Buddy, or LBDM 4BB is available for purchase. This is a BB content package with 54 thirteen piece drum kits, 75 sets of song grooves, over 230 multi-sampled drums with over 2500 wav files, and over 750 midi files. It’s a whole bunch of content. The web site above has the purchase information and 5 demos of the grooves and kits.

While this started as a way to get the venerable Alesis SR-16 onto a Beat Buddy, it grew into more than that. Yes, 50 of the grooves use the Alesis grooves as their roots, but I added intros and outros and transitions. I edited fills. I transcribed parts. Parts were requantized when needed. Everything was adjusted to work with both Beat Buddy and Alesis tom mapping. And, very importantly, I added songs that were not part of the SR-16 which were selected to fill needs that Beat Buddy users have indicated were lacking in the original BB grooves - Latin grooves for Salsa, Bachata and Cumbia; Reggae Rock; House and Trance grooves; a Bo Diddley beat; new simpler slow ballad and shuffle grooves and more. In all, twenty-five new grooves types, were added.

And almost as a bonus, but certainly not as an afterthought, I added what I am calling drum kit rooms - a simple groove that lets you audition kick drums, snares and other pieces that were not included in the 54 kits that are part of the LBDM 4BB.

At the listed price on the website, it’s already a bargain at less than $1 per kit, but for all my compadres here on the Beat Buddy Forum, I have a way for you to get the whole package for $10 less. Just start a conversation with me using the Forum Conversation feature, or send me an e-mail at philflood@aol.com.

And, now that I have finished this two-month undertaking, I can get back to my usual process of creating songs for the Resources section!
[/QUOTE]

One of the goals of the LBDM 4BB was to create a package of very usable practice and performance beats right out of box. I based my beats on the Alesis SR 16, as a couple other B.B. users had indicated how useful they found those beats to be.

It’s very common for a device maker to give presets that show off the powe of the device, while sacrificing the usefulness of the presets. To some degree, I think Singular did that. That’s why we have some complaints about how busy the Singular beats are. The LBDM beats try to avoid the shortcoming. And, if a particular beat gets a little busy, try using the intro as a main loop. The LBDM intros are designed to be simpler versions of the main loop 1 patterns.

Also, I provided 25 more patterns that fill in some of the holes left by Singular and Alesis in covering popular genres. While I don’t have 23/16 Bulgarian rhythms covered, I have tried to hit most of the more popular rhythms.

As far as advice goes, with any patterns, you really should audition each pattern in BBManager by playing the individual parts before you try to use them as a song. Then, when you have sections you are comfortable with, you can create a new song and copy and paste just the parts you want. And don’t forget, with the LBDM, the midi parts are fairly interchangeable. Probably not the outro, but you could easily use a loop designated as a fill or transition as a main loop.

I hope that helps. If you are interested in the package, message me here with the Conversation feature, or send me an email at philflood@aol.com, and I’ll give you the info on getting the $10 discount.

Hey Phil I got a chance to try a few of the LBDM 4BB / Alesis patterns. Thanks for the work you put into it. The patterns are very good, but I’m wondering why the Transitions/Fills do not end with a Crash Symbol (like the originals). At least it seems that way in the ones I sampled. Personally I could never program a Crash hit at the end of a Transition or Fill, but others on this site seem to have had success.

Hi Wally,

What I did was create main loops with a crash at the start, so if you want a crash after a transition or fill, you program one of those main loops to be the next section of the song. It’s always a compromise, and that was the way I thought would be the most workable approach.

Phil

One more thing, Wally. I also programmed a crash as the Accent hit in most of the songs. So, the other option you have for triggering a crash after a fill is to use the Accent hit button, if you are using an external footswitch.

Speaking of accent hits Phil. I always have my external footswitch with left switch on outro fill and right switch on pause.Is there a way I can have the accent hit while keeping the other options? probs not Im thinking its either one or other

You are correct. It is either one or the other. The footswitch gives you separate options for when the song is running, and when it is stopped/paused. But you are already using the two when running slots.

When Singular releases its midi pedal, I suspect we’ll have more options, albeit at a price.

Thanks for the bonus kit, Phil!

I love the package. I use it a lot for practicing and have used some beats for a jamsession as well.

Money sent! Thanks for doing this.