New Themes + Markdown Cheat Sheet

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to share a quick update. In response to feedback from several users on the forum I’ve edited the themes slightly to reduce glare and make them easier on the eyes.

The two new themes are The Friendly Box (new default theme) and The Sleepy Box (Dark version of the theme).

If you have any issues or feedback regarding the new themes, let me know and I can work on it. At the moment, I’m aware that the grey text can be a little hard to read on the dark theme and will be working to fix that shortly.

Also, while I’m making this announcement, I wanted to share a Markdown cheat sheet with everyone. If you’re not familiar with Markdown, it’s a way to quickly format posts. Our new forum uses this method, and I’m particularly fond of it so I figured I’d share with everyone:

Headers

# H1
## H2
### H3
#### H4
##### H5
###### H6

H1

H2

H3

H4

H5
H6

Emphasis

Emphasis, aka italics, with *asterisks* or _underscores_.

Strong emphasis, aka bold, with **asterisks** or __underscores__.

Combined emphasis with **asterisks and _underscores_**.

Strikethrough uses two tildes. ~~Scratch this.~~

Emphasis, aka italics, with asterisks or underscores .

Strong emphasis, aka bold, with asterisks or underscores .

Combined emphasis with asterisks and underscores .

Strikethrough uses two tildes. Scratch this.

Lists

1. First ordered list item
2. Another item
4. And another item.

(note that actual numbers don't matter, the order is still automatically applied)

* Unordered list can use asterisks
- Or minuses
+ Or pluses
  1. First ordered list item
  2. Another item
  3. And another item.

(note that actual numbers don’t matter, the order is still automatically applied)

• Unordered list can use asterisks

• Or minuses

• Or pluses

Links

[I'm an inline-style link](https://www.google.com)

URLs and URLs in angle brackets will automatically get turned into links. 
http://www.example.com or <http://www.example.com> and
example.com.

I’m an inline-style link

URLs and URLs in angle brackets will automatically get turned into links. http://www.example.com or http://www.example.com and example.com.

Tables

Tables aren’t part of the core Markdown spec, but they are part of GFM and Markdown Here supports them. They are an easy way of adding tables to your post – a task that would otherwise require copy-pasting from another application.

| Tables        | Are           | Cool  |
| ------------- |---------------| ------|
| col 3 isn't   | right-algned  | $1600 |
| col 2 isn't   | centered      |   $12 |
| zebra stripes | are neat      |    $1 |

There must be at least 3 dashes separating each header cell.
The outer pipes (|) are optional, and you don't need to make the 
raw Markdown line up prettily. You can also use inline Markdown.

Markdown | Less | Pretty
--- | --- | ---
*Still* | `renders` | **nicely**
1 | 2 | 3
Tables Are Cool
col 3 isn’t right-aligned $1600
col 2 isn’t centered $12
zebra stripes are neat $1

There must be at least 3 dashes separating each header cell. The outer pipes (|) are optional, and you don’t need to make the raw Markdown line up prettily. You can also use inline Markdown.

Markdown Less Pretty
Still renders nicely
1 2 3

Blockquotes

> Blockquotes are very handy in email to emulate reply text.
> This line is part of the same quote.

Quote break.

> This is a very long line that will still be quoted properly when it wraps. Oh boy let's keep writing to make sure this is long enough to actually wrap for everyone. Oh, you can *put* **Markdown** into a blockquote. 

Blockquotes are very handy in email to emulate reply text. This line is part of the same quote.

Quote break.

This is a very long line that will still be quoted properly when it wraps. Oh boy let’s keep writing to make sure this is long enough to actually wrap for everyone. Oh, you can put Markdown into a blockquote.

Line Breaks

My basic recommendation for learning how line breaks work is to experiment and discover – hit <Enter> once (i.e., insert one newline), then hit it twice (i.e., insert two newlines), see what happens. You’ll soon learn to get what you want. “Markdown Toggle” is your friend.

Here are some things to try out:

Here's a line for us to start with.

This line is separated from the one above by two newlines, so it will be a *separate paragraph*.

This line is also a separate paragraph, but...
This line is only separated by a single newline, so it's a separate line in the *same paragraph*.

Here’s a line for us to start with.

This line is separated from the one above by two newlines, so it will be a separate paragraph .

This line is also begins a separate paragraph, but…
This line is only separated by a single newline, so it’s a separate line in the same paragraph .

(Technical note: Markdown Here uses GFM line breaks, so there’s no need to use MD’s two-space line breaks.)

Markdown Exempt Text

If you want to write something out without Markdown applying to it (like I have done in this cheat sheet) simply use 3 backticks. If you’re unfamiliar with the backtick it’s the second character on your tilde key (~). It looks like this: `.

P.S. This cheat sheet was based on, and edited from this link here: Markdown Cheatsheet · adam-p/markdown-here Wiki · GitHub