Note: The two versions showed slightly different timing on the Pre-Outro segment trigger needing more careful trimming.
Here’s one we’ve done for years with a simple BB backing I worked through an updated version to include keys yet not make more complex button pushing for live play. The original simple version only required hitting a button to Pause/UnPause for the ‘half-tempo’ rubato section leading into the Outro. Gave the singer freedom from a strict beat.
The drum part is lifted direct from Pop – Beat 17 – simple straight eighth and a favorite @Phil_Flood Santana Piano & Organ kit.
A bit tricky designing this to make sure BB would kick in reliably coming out of the rubato section (no backing sounds audible) going to the Outro. I used a trick I learned from Persist using a Main Loop section with no Transition fill to get into the ‘Pre-Outro’ repeated riff. Requires careful trimming in the DAW to avoid a dead space at the start.
Two versions (since I play bass on this) – one with and one without. Structure as follows:
- In the ‘with Bass’ version Sticks count off then continue behind the intro
- In the non-bass version I kick BB in at the beginning of the 2nd line of Verse 1 (noted in blue on the cheat sheet).
- Main song is in the Intro Fill section and continues through the 2nd chorus and Interlude
- The ‘quiet’ rubato section automatically comes in as BB transitions to the Main Loop section. No sounds (just an initial low velocity MIDI note to make it a ‘legal’ section)
- The tricky part: coming out of the rubato section guitar begins with the riff. To bring in the ‘Pre-Outro’ part supporting the repeated pattern hold down the Pedal and release on the F transition after C coming back to the beginning of the Riff [(G (F) C (F)] to get the timing correct.
- The ‘Pre-Outro’ loop can run for 8 repetitions before looping allowing time to trigger the ‘End Outro’. End Outro (Em) comes in starting right on the button push.
Night Moves.zip (77.9 KB)