Norwegian wood (opb) (1.0) 2018-08-16 - beatles

a John song in 3/4, ending in setting a fire (which btw, he did often).

Ive taken the most important tab from the Complete Beatle’s Scores so you can see the downward progression through the D chords… very important to the sound … as is the 2/3 hammer-on into the G for the D/A in the intro.

uses NP LUDWIG BASS

IF you’re playing it on a 12 string Ric, then you’re in business, on a FENDER, use only the treble pickup and turn compression high.

This is TAKE 3 from the stuidio recordings … a very rare film. Therer are no PROMO videos of this song. It is supposed that one would would be done from this tape, but George Martin nixed it.

Download Here

3 Likes

Phil,
I can’t stop this song using the BB. In BBM I’ve moved the song to the intro fill as Persist suggested. It works just fine in BBM. However, once it’s in the BB I can’t stop it. Like I do a false start and need to end it and go back to the beginning… no can do. I pound on the BB, double taps, triple taps… nope. Only cutting the power works – nice.
Any suggestions (that aren’t too technical)?
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

Cool, that worked. I’m not sure how I got the coping done though. I copied the file but it didn’t want to paste. I tried several times then when I clicked to open the outro fill the file had been copied. Don’t know but it worked.
Thanks again Persist,
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

That is exactly why I put the song in the outro. Outros don’t loop. I also use the external pedal. Start the song, the “silent” main section loops endlessly until you’re ready, allowing you to observe the temp. Then I trigger the outdo and the song plays, and then ends. No fuss, no muss. mo need to time a press to end the song to prevent looping. I do it this way because when I did some gigging, it was just so much easier… and the guys/gals playing with me knew the song would end properly.

Phil

1 Like

Hey Phil,
Like I said, when the song was in the outro I had no control over stopping it. The beginning 4 beats go right to the beginning solo without touching the pedal. Having moved it, it now works plays to the end and stops on its own.
This is the second Beatles song I’ve had to move because I couldn’t stop it without unplugging the BB. I have yet to find one that loops, so I am a bit confused by what you say.
Don’t know what an external petal is… do I have one?
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

Singular sells an external pedal with two buttons that can be programmed to trigger certain things. On mine, I’ve got it programmed for left button to start a song, right button to trigger the outro.

But you can do all of that w/o the external pedal. Check your BB manual for instructions.

I’m sure those songs work just fine. Something in your setup.

Persist,
As I mentioned, I don’t know how I managed to copy the’Null’ to the Outro Fill. Copy/paste never showed signs of working to copy. Would you tell me how to go about copying that file to Outre Fill?
Also, should I copy the Null to the Outro every time I move the Outro to the Intro?
Thanks,
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

You can also copy a MIDI file within a song by option-click-dragging it from the Main Drum Loop to the Outro.

Thanks, but I’m not sure that answered my question… actually 2 questions.
First, do I need to copy the Null to the Outro after moving Outro to Intro?
And secondly, how does one actually copy the Null to the Outro. Hovering over Null and clicking copy did not appear to work. Why are the steps needed?
Thanks,
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

Leave null where it is in the main loop. When the song starts, null will loop and do nothing. You can look at the BB to visually see the tempo.

The song itself is in the OUTRO because OUTRO only plays once. When you trigger the Outro (depending on how you have pedal set up or external foot switch) the sing plays thru and then ends. Very easy, especially on stage.

I really don’t understand why you’re moving things around at all. It all works just fine.

Phil,
I’m moving them because I can’t stop the song when it’s in Outro. I think I mentioned before that the only way to stop a song in Outro is to unplug the BB. Persist suggested moving Outro to Intro and coping Null to Outro. When I do that I can stop the song and start over. Works well for me that way. I’ve never had a song repeat, they play through and stop at the end.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

I tend to do the same thing. Keeping the OP songs in the intro and null in part 1. I often leave the outro blank in that scenario too.

I think if you hit an up or down arrow on the BB it’ll stop the outro, just saying. I’m not in front of my BB though right now.

I purposely moved the song TO THE OUTRO because having it there ONLY PLAYS ONCE. So somehow it’s how you have the BB set up. IF you have Outro enabled and you double tap, Outro will play and then end. Since I put the entire song in Outro, that’s how I play a song one time. I have over 700 songs in my project done this way. No issues at all. It’s your setup.

Persist,
I’ve done a number of songs as you advised and they work well. However, I’ve done a few more and they still have the Outro as where the song is. I double checked and re-synchronized but they appear like I never moved the Outro to the Intro and copied the Null to Outro as far as the BB is concerned. In BBM they show as you suggested.
I could use help with this.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

@Phil
Sir,
First of all, great job on putting this together. I have no issues with where you placed the sequence in the .sng file. It’s a great Beatles tune!

I’m having a little difficulty playing along with it. It’s hard to tell where the chorus begins.

Q. The click intro doesn’t count the whole 6/8 measure, correct?

I had to map NP StdBass 63-91, in absence of the recommended NP LUDWIG BASS, (which I’m not able to locate). It doesn’t seem to be a suitable substitute, and it sounds muffled .

Q. Which kit would work in lieu of NP LUDWIG BASS?

I hear the intro, the bass line, and later on, a Tamborine.

Q. There is no actual drum beat in this version, correct?

Maybe because the bass sounds muffled with the NP StdBass 63-91

Thanks!
LL

There are two forum users on the forum Phil_Flood and Phil @Phil (the original poster of the song in this thread).

The song uses the kick drum and tambourine in the file that Phil provided.