Brand new to MIDI with beat buddy. Is it helpful to the solo acoustic player and will it work with song pro or just on song? I watched a video about it and it looked like it went way over my head. Not very tech just want anything to give me advantage during live play. THANK YOU!
Depends on what you want to do beyond using the pedal and songs as-is. You may not even need MIDI for what you plan. Tell us more about what you want to do.
Well I think I plan to mount the pedal on my mic stand and I can easily change tempo and volume very quickly to not pause in a middle of a show. But I wanted to not spend time searching for drum sets toggling through options. I know I can write the title and location down for each song but looking for the quickest way. So I don’t need midi? How do you save drum sets in a row on sd card and load them? And even remove from sd card if I want to?
Okay, then it sounds like you need the BBM much more than MIDI, per se. All you probably need to do is build sets in BBM and synch to an SD card:
- I can easily change tempo and volume very quickly to not pause in a middle of a show. I presume this is about reusing preset songs from the BB for different songs you play. If so, copying the songs into the sets and resetting the tempo will let you scroll through them in sequence. Volume in this case is a problem, but I never mess with the volumes between songs, so that may be much less of an issue than you think. Then again, maybe not. YMMV.
- But I wanted to not spend time searching for drum sets toggling through options. In BBM, drum sets are assigned on a per-song basis. The only caveat is that whenever you change drum sets between songs live, BB has to load the new one, which can take a couple of seconds.
- So I don’t need midi? Not so far…
- How do you save drum sets in a row on sd card and load them? Create a set in BBM and synch to the card (you’ll have to save to the card the first time).
- And even remove from sd card if I want to? This is basic set management. BBM again.
All a set is, is a folder in BBM/BB. What I do is create folders/sets for a couple of different scenarios in BBM. To keep it simple, I always put the most current sets at the top of the list. I do NOT delete any of the folders that came with BBM/BB. I only add:
Notice my folders at the top, the standard folders at the bottom. So you never lose your original compliment of BB content, you just create and add your own.
Note that copying a standard song into a new song (e.g., Rock-9 to Hard to Handle) without destroying the original usually means selecting the source (e.g., Rock-9) and doing a File >> Export >> Song, name it (e.g., Hard to Handle), and importing it into your custom folder (File >> Import >> Song).
Spend some time with BBM, you’ll be surprised how much you can accomplish without becoming a MIDI nerd (like me).
Just pops in to say thank you for this guide. Users like you and many others have so much to share, but it takes time and effort to do so! So its easy to just skip the task and move on, leaving novices like myself to figure it out by themselves. Very grateful for yours and many others that take the time to help, making this forum the best source for knowledge and insight.
What is Conspiracy-1 in your folders? Do you play at Area 51? Investigative JFK assassination rock opera? Inquiring minds want to know.
Below “Xmas 2020 Set” and “Beaches”.
Ooooh – LOL!!
I used to be in a band called Conspiracy. Those are songs from that era of my musical life.