One of these nights OPBk 2018-08-16 - Eagles

Hi Jim where would I get a piano kit ? Also what causes the broken glass sound instead of a cymbol ?

Brent

There are piano kits out there on the forum. I haven’t posted mine yet. Any sounds can be imported into the drum kits as wav files. I have recorded and used my own guitar riffs for things like guitar Harmony solos and have even stolen recordings from actual song beginnings and endings to use because they are so recognizable. I have even changed the key on some such as Dream Weaver by Gary Moore. There are literally no restrictions on what you can do with this thing if you know how it works and have a midi editor that you understand. I use the free one off of the internet and it works fantastic. Again I haven’t gotten around to downloading any of my stuff yet because I don’t see a real structured format for it yet.

Have you had a go with any of the kits in these posts? Search results for 'piano #resources:drum-sets ' - Singular Sound Forum

Thanks Jim I’d like to learn to do some of this. Which editor do you use ? Even key changes can be done within the editor ?

Thanks I will try some of these.

Brent

There’s a tutorial here

And another one here: Use Reaper to transpose bass notes from a BBM File Exported to a MIDI File

1 Like

Yes. Key changes, velocity changes, record live from interfaced pianos, copy and paste, quantifying events, event scaling (slowing down by lengthening event)… Go to midieditor.org. Windows or linux versions. I tried reaper and cubase…way too complicated. I’m surprised more people aren’t using it.

Maybe because there’s no Mac version? :grinning: Wish there was a Mac version though.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s in the works

1 Like

Oh yeah. You’re one of “those”. :green_apple::apple:.:grin:

Don’t know. Kinda doubt it. It’s been around for awhile and not much activity with updates. Buy a cheap laptop and edit on that.

Some of us have a cheap laptop - like a 10 year old Mac - and thanks to advice freely given from folks like Persist on the forum REAPER works great. Yes it takes a little figuring but if one is not so much smart but unwilling to admit defeat its eternally useful. I now regularly transpose parts, craft things from MIDI files and in the near future plan to follow Jim_Jacobson into the ‘capture it played live’ especially with my Rolando VR that mostly sits idle now.

The simplest device if you’re not familiar with it is daunting. Only one way to get there. Already have a PC? Pick a few free/trial SW and tinker in a limited way like exporting and transposing with forum help. Already have a MAC - same answer.

BTW - everything I do is for my trio and gets played live so BB and my efforts have to stand up.

1 Like

WRT one of these nights it works in my bb manager but sounds really different/wierd in the actual beat buddy ?

Brent

In what way? How are you listening to it - guitar amp, headphones? If guitar amp how is your rig all connected up etc etc etc?

Essentially, listen to it using headphones plugged into the beat buddy’s headphone jack. Does it sound ok?

The cymbal sounds like shattered glass only the BB not in bb manager where it sounds good. Is my BB defaulting to the wrong drumset ?

Brent

How are you listening to the BB?

I play it through my Bose compact PA. All the other BB files play normally ?

Jim I can only add midi files to this the sng ones wont load so Im not sure how I’d edit any files unless they were midi ? Arent BB files all sng or is it just midi files you find that you customize ?

I will have to try it later