OT Tunes vs Original Formats: Hybrids??

Hi All,

Wanted to toss this out and see where you guys land…

I learned to use the BB in the traditional way - you know, with parts. It works well that way, and, having played in bands for over 30 years (that’s right, I started my first band at age 2 ;)), it works the way I think about drum parts.

Full disclosure: I also played with tracks back in the day: Complete songs in which I programmed the drums, and played the bass and keyboard parts, recorded it all to CD, and then I played along, so, although I prefer the flexibility of being able to tell the drummer what to do (something I’ve never had much success at in real life!), I also get the appeal of “Hit Start. Play.”

What I don’t get is the hybrid approach that I’m starting to see in a lot of posted .sngs in which the entire song is Main 1, the chorus is Fill 1, the double chorus is Fill 2, the bridge is Main 2 etc. Now, I get why, but what I don’t understand is, how do you reconcile these in a live situation with traditionally-built songs? Keeping track of which is which would make my head spin.

So, to my question:
In live gigs, do you use (and you can copy and paste this into your response and put an “x” beside the ones that apply):
[LIST]
[*]Original style tunes:

[*]One-touch tunes:

[*]Hybrids:
[/LIST]
Take the poll above – thanks!

Be interesting to see what the results are once everybody votes . . . .

playing w other ppl … I like the variety of sng’s .
If I’m w a bass plyr … just a beat is adequate …(old alesis habits :frowning: ) BB does it better.
w guitar plyrs … the tune needs links to return to solo …or loop to a ‘familiar’ head … (proud mary) as a fill
I just finished six days on the road (sng) … it loops V Ch …which is solo-able over itself …
be bop a lula 12 bar style seq are my preference.
those are my favorite loops … hitting the fills is not my fav thing to do …
I used Stu’s version of Sultans, but he left out a V, ( 500 note limitation) I added the V as a fill ,
returning to the jam loop … So recognizable fills are easier than most.

…watching the midi actuated commands postings is interesting for the/my future,
… for right now…having ‘return to main’,fill & outro’ pedals separate … would be nice to have.
I want to press the fill & start on the next part, in time. …whenever I press it… leaving the sng running.
too much pedal work now… resaving pedal info (outro, release times,cue fill )…every time sucks .
double tapping outro … (hate it ) … leads to fails more often than not w timing.
jamming is limiting w one press … plus , it is hard (memory wise ) to edit full sng’s in BB mgr …slooooooow .
(I use 16 gigs of ram )
some tunes make sense for OP … others …not so much.

I guess I’m a Traditional, Hybrid user …with a touch of ______ optionals. :wink:
hope this makes sense …feels like a purge. …lol
I get paid to play music … jamming is the bling part. :wink:
Ron

The One Press works best for me playing solo. It’s like having a band know every song in your set and keeping it tight. I have been playing in a 4 piece band for 30+ years and have had to rely on everyone learning the tunes. I have had to struggle to get everyone on board with the songs that I want to play. The BB happily agrees to all of my song choices and never misses a beat.

I am not primarily a lead player, so I don’t have the desire to do an extended guitar solo. There is comfort in knowing the song will always be consistent and I can practice them to as close to perfection as my abilities allow.

I’m still mostly traditional. I do not solo but when a live performance is going good and sounds great and the audience is into it, I like having the option to be able to play a chorus or Verse multiple times. I find it sad to be cemented to a structure when the performance is going so well and people around me are enjoying it. I’m a jamming kind of player. I like jamming almost every song I play.

Hey, I’m all for the jammin. It’s my middle name. Or is it Eugene? Anyway… When I’m playing with other folks, Jamming is a must. I like the option to just start the song and roll through it without worrying about missing a fill or change before going into a solo or the bridge. Plus, I love the bass and that is complicated when a song has variations in structure.

i’m implementing an “auto pilot”, which will have more flexibility in the way we can control songs

That sounds very interesting.

If you have some time, can you tell us a little more about that?

The first version is simple. Basically you will be able to have a loop count for each main section. It will loop that number of times, and continue on. You can specify 0, which will make it loop forever like it currently does. Do a transition when you want, and it will move on with the song. The next version will give you the option of having a fill at the end of each loop, and a transition part going from main part to main part. Once we learn how to use this, in the future maybe we can figure out how to say “hey, play this loop again” on demand, or other ways to control the song on the fly. All the standard commands will still work ,though. If you want to transition to the next part, even if the loop count doesn’t agree, you can.

So you can have a song that loops down to a solo section, then you transition out of that when you are done with that solo, and have it go on and finish the song.

The first version is simple. Basically you will be able to have a loop count for each main section. It will loop that number of times, and continue on. You can specify 0, which will make it loop forever like it currently does. Do a transition when you want, and it will move on with the song. The next version will give you the option of having a fill at the end of each loop, and a transition part going from main part to main part. Once we learn how to use this, in the future maybe we can figure out how to say “hey, play this loop again” on demand, or other ways to control the song on the fly. All the standard commands will still work ,though. If you want to transition to the next part, even if the loop count doesn’t agree, you can.

So you can have a song that loops down to a solo section, then you transition out of that when you are done with that solo, and have it go on and finish the song.

o - man that sounds great. Is that close to being done or it still may be awhile before we can us it

I think all the bugs seem to have been fixed in the long-awaited “beta”, so I expect it to be formally released soon!

Can’t wait. thanks for the info. Now I will have to setup my Vacation days accordingly. LOL