pausing drums while a loop keeps playing?

Hi folks,

I’ve got my BB synched with my Boomerang. It’s working pretty well, but I’d like to be able to pause the drums while the loop keeps playing.
Is there any way to do this?

What I really want is to have it both ways, to be able to pause the drums some times without pausing the loop, and other times, to pause the loop and the drums together.
Any thoughts?

thanks!
Rusty

Oh, well… Currently you are pretty able to hard setup your BB to either pause everything or pause only beats (while loop plays). You will need to set an Active Pause (or Mute Pause) via Main Menu on the pedal itself. Though I am afraid it could be really hard for you without external help.

Considering you have most recent firmware,
To turn ON Mute Pause (to hear loop while BB is muted):
Press both Drum Set (middle) and Tempo (right) knobs at about the same time.
Twist Tempo 1 tick clockwise.
Press Tempo three times.
Press Drum Set three times.
–READY

To turn OFF Mute Pause (to hear loop while BB is muted):
Press both Drum Set (middle) and Tempo (right) knobs at about the same time.
Press Tempo twice.
Press Tempo once.
Press Drum Set three times.
–READY

Anyway, I don’t think it is currently possible to have both options available for you. :frowning:

When you press Tempo, you go deeper into the menu, with Drum Set you go upper.

The only work around I have found to have both is to leave it on pause midi so drums stop looper and then on your volume out but before PA or AMP put a volume pedal or a volume mute switch. This will make it seem like it is a pause while the loop still plays. This will not work if your BB is in a chain because it will cut the volume of your lopper. But if you run your BB separately into a second channel on the PA it will work. Maybe the new firmware addresses this that I do not know about yet. But this method works for me.

Wow Def, thanks for the specifics.!

Emacnevin, that’s a very slick trick!
I currently run the BB independently so this would work for me.
the only problem I see is that if you hit a fill and want to press stop to get the nice cymbal crash at the end, you won’t. :slight_smile: or at least it might get cut off. :slight_smile:

But I can’t think of a way to do it without sacrificing an extra button. But, maybe a long press on the pause pedal could work for a future firmware upgrade.

Yes you are right it is definitely a work around and not perfect. I do not have the software yet because I am on a mac so I mainly use it in the following scenario. I push my mute button, I start beat buddy, I put earbuds in to hear the drum, I loop my acoustic guitar phrase in on my boomerang, then I unmute the button and the drum is heard through PA. I am sure on a song many program this sort of thing in with a 4 or 8 bar simple click track intro but this allows me a work around and so I do not have to program.