Pedal does not power on

This can likely be fixed by flashing the BeatBuddy, Support will guide you through this process to hopefully get you back on track asap

Thank you for your reply. I heard from support this morning and they gave me instructions on what to do or the option to send me a sd card if I have a Mac which I do so I’m going with the option.

1 Like

How to restore to the original 4GB SD card?

• Download and unzip this file SD Card Full Backup
  • Insert SD card in computer and copy the contents of unzipped folder to your SD card; accept the prompt to overwrite existing contents of card.
1 Like

Sorry, I mean how to restore the SD card that restored pedal power to the original 4GB. Because my original SD card was 4GB, now it only has 2GB. Thank you!

UPDATED

If you have a complete and current project in your computer’s bbworkspace folder, you’re off to a good start. To restore your factory or other SD card to it’s full storage size, follow these instructions.

For macOS:

For Windows:

My SD card has been successfully restored to 4GB, thank you!

Hi - I have a bricked BB pedal because of a power failure during firmware update. I’ve gone through the process several times with no success - I’m reformatting the SD before flashing but should I be selecting MS-DOS and Master Boot Record in Apple Disk Utility?

Sorry you’re having issues. If your Mac has a built-in SD card slot, you should be using it and not connecting your pedal via USB cable.

You should not have to reformat your SD card; use CMD-I to verify that it is MS-DOS (FAT32)
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 3.31.32 PM

This is what my SD card displays in Ventura’s Disk Utility
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 3.33.51 PM

However, you can reformat your card to MS-DOS(FAT32) and go thru the recovery process again. Once it’s completed, disconnect the power to your pedal, and after 30 seconds, reconnect the power to the pedal.

If it still doesn’t work, contact Support, support@singularsound.com for help. You probably won’t hear back from them until sometime after July 4.

Let us know how you get it working again.

Hi - thanks for the support. Still having no success - I followed this process: 1) reformatted the original 4GB SD card in exFAT (what Mac calls FAT32) selecting GUID partition map 2) downloaded the BeatBuddy Default Content 2.1 - Project folder and copied this to the SD card (I have a backup of all my custom stuff which I can go back to if it ever works again!) 3) followed the process for flashing EMPTY_PRODUCTION_SD.iso onto the SD card 4) inserted the card into BB with power off 5) powered up. But no success :frowning:

Just one thought - does it matter what name I give to the SD card when I reformat it?

Usually not. I usually leave my recovery card as NO NAME.

Does your card name appear in all upper case letters? Also, check the size of the card after you’ve flashed it. It should 2.15Gb. If it’s still 4Gb, that’s a possible indicator that the image wasn’t flashed.

Here’s what I think is going on:

1. Sounds like you’re using an older macOS version (like Mojave or older?)
    You need to format to FAT—not exFAT. Why? Here’s what Apple has to say about it: File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (scroll to the bottom of the page).
  2. Download Default Content 2.1 but don’t copy it to your SD card yet until you’ve completed the recovery (flashing) process. Why? When you flash the SD card, it replaces everything on the card and you’ll end up having to copy the Default Content back to your SD card again.

At this point, what should you do?

• use or buy a new 4Gb class 10 SD card; a new one out of the wrapper is already in a format that works with the BeatBuddy (BB) pedal; if that’s not possible, format your existing SD card as FAT and then,
  • follow the Instructions for Mac exactly as I have written them in the first post of this thread; don’t read into them, add or miss any of the steps.

Once your pedal display is working, I would set that SD card aside and label it as RECOVERY and use a new one for your project. Why? Because if you have properly flashed your RECOVERY SD card, it will now be 2.15Gb instead of 4Gb and you would have to Erase it to FAT to get it back to 4Gb

Let me know how you get it working.

Because your power was interrupted, you might want to check that your BeatBuddy (BB) power supply is still working.

If for some really strange reason the Mac doesn’t seem to be able to format the SD Card to FAT32 and you might by chance have a digital camera that takes SD cards, you could try doing a full format of the SD card in the digital camera. Most digital cameras will format to FAT32. It may add a couple folders for images and other info, but the Mac should be able to read the card and you can delete the folders clearing it up so the BB firmware can be put on it.
This image is an SD card formatted in a Canon digital camera. I did remove the extra folders that the camera created.
fat32

Many thanks for your follow ups on this. I’m using the next to current Mac OS - Monterey - which does give me the MS-DOS (FAT) formatting option. But I also tried the camera formatting option - still no success. The power supply is fine (tested with a meter and with other 9v units). Thanks again for the suggestions.

Please let us know what Support has to say.

I think I found out what the issue was and after having successfully tested the modified process, I have updated the Mac forum instructions. If you still have the RESCUE SD card that you flashed, please try adding the 5 firmware files to the RESCUE card and try that on your pedal.

If that doesn’t work and while you wait on the mail from Support, you can try following the instructions again but first you’ll have to restore your SD card to 4Gb following the NOTE I included at the bottom of the Mac instructions.

Don’t blame you though if you’d rather wait on Support :wink:

1 Like

Thanks - I’m away for the next few days but will try your updated process when I get back - and will post again with the results

Your updated process worked without a hitch - many thanks!

1 Like