Playback Speed

Hey everyone! Just got my Aeros, and I really love it. Many things that I’ve needed for a long time in this package.

I’ve seen others talk about reverse, which I’d very much like to have. I would really love 1/2 speed (octave down) and 2x speed (octave up) as well. I use these constantly on the loopers I’m replacing. There’s also the hack of recording in 1/2 speed so that 2x jumps by 2 octaves this could be just another option instead of a hack in Aeros.

6 Likes

Hey there, we are likely not going to take this route anytime soon, but, yet, there is still hope we eventually get there, I’ll tag as #med-long-term for this reason. Thanks for your feedback!

Thank you for your response. This feature is so important to my thing that i’m keeping a cheap looper in my rig just to have it.

3 Likes

+1 for playback speed and reverse controls. I believe many of us consider them essential looping effects, without which this looper is incomplete. I realize there has been a lot to work out and y’all are doing your best… that said, when I purchased the Aeros a year ago these features were “in the production timeline”. Can you give an approximate timeframe for medium to long term feature requests? Are we talking 3 months? 1 year?

Also on this note I had an idea: the volume wheel, which is also the menu scroller, could in FX mode be a pitch throttle. It could move up or down in 1/2 steps, all the way to tape stop, and then as you keep turning down below stop, it could move up in reverse. Seems like not that difficult to implement if you were to apply it to the global clock. That way all 6 tracks would move together in what ever direction and speed you set. When you record at that new speed / direction, your new recording would sound normal until you change speed or direction again. Simple really. (Could also be cool to be able to set the intervals for pitch shifting ahead of time.) please let us know if and when you think something like this might be feasible. Thanks again for all your hard work.

4 Likes

I haven’t purchased an Aeros. yet, but I’ve been down the YT demo rabbit hole for days, and the only thing holding me back is how much I depend on 1/2 speed and backwards playback. I would use the Aeros to construct song parts to then import into Ableton and Pro Tools, and a big part of that would be creating ambient loops that would include backwards echos and pitch shifted parts. The thought of having six tracks to do this on the fly with these two effects would make this an insta-buy for me. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I’ll be keeping a keen eye out! Otherwise I’m completely impressed with this product, but it needs to remove another box from my workflow or it’s adding complexity. Thanks for listening!

4 Likes

Noted! Thanks for the feedback

Same! thank you for chiming in. I need these features so much that i’m keeping a cheap $50 Ammoon looper on my board just to have the option.

2 Likes

Please please please put reverse and speed option high on priority list. If cheap $30 loopers can have this then why doesn’t this since it came out 1 1/2 yrs ago or whenever? I just got mine today and giving you all a chance to make it right but if it’s going to take months or longer for these options I’ll go back to boomerang III. However I don’t want too because i find the aeros really great out of the box. Easy to understand visually and more and would love to keep it but myself and MANY OTHERS need these reverse and speed options that should have came out with it at launch to be honest. I’m not trying to sound like a dick, but it really is needed badly! :smiley:

4 Likes

I do respect all the work you guys have put into the Aeros. I get that it’s a lot of code and it takes time. I think that it does what it does very well at this point. The quality is high. That means a lot.

That said, I’m actually considering getting the new electro harmonix 1440. While it doesn’t do multi track, or multi section, it does unlimited loop length (up to 20 minutes which is the maximum time of the looper), reverse, half speed, double speed, and quantized tape style (not granular) pitch shifting by the semi tone. It syncs to midi and it’s stereo. It also can transfer loops to and from the computer via usb. And it’s less than 1/2 the price of the Aeros.

I would prefer that you convince me not to get it because Aeros will soon have these features. I want to love the Aeros, and it’s multi track functionality is awesome, but without these essential features (speed, reverse, and unlimited loop time) it’s really just not up to par with creative looping. Lots of inexpensive loopers have speed and reverse. How much longer are we going to have to wait for these features? They were listed as in the production timeline when I bought this thing over a year ago. That was a major part of why I bought it. If you can at least give us a realistic answer regarding what you mean by med - long term (in approximate months even) that would help some of us to know if we are willing to wait any longer…

Thanks.

3 Likes

I agree. It has the potential to be the best thing but a year later after release and still no reverse or speed options that can be found on lower prices products is sad to be honest. I just got mine and I’ll give it a go for awhile but if I’m still sitting here by april with no reverse or speed options then I’m out and selling it and getting something else again, but I don’t want too because I wanna use this because I love the visual layout and other things. I’m just not going to wait another dang year for something that should have had these options from the start.

3 Likes

I’m keeping my Ditto X2 on the floor for the time being for the reverse and octave shift. I hope Aeros eventually makes these available (and through MIDI commands!). The new Electro Harmonix 1440 pedal looks very cool. I was also looking at the new Boss RC-5, thought RC-5 strangely doesn’t have octave shift - just loop reverse.

The low bar on loopers is where I was hoping they would be a few years ago - sound quality, MIDI, octave, reverse, all seem like “industry standard” features now. Where the Aeros blows out the competition is with the parts, tracks and UI. But once they no longer ask you to sacrifice standard looper features they will have a compelling reason for people who are on the fence to shell out the premium asking price.

That said, mine just showed today, so I hope these gaps get filled soon, though I didn’t buy it for what it doesn’t have [yet]. But I hope I can put my Ditto on Reverse soon! I think I might fall into their original use case - song writing and demoing will be my main purpose right now. Hoping to add performance aspects as MIDI is enhanced, and then ambient texture loop exploration once octave and reverse is added.

2 Likes

I’m honestly starting to think that they are simply in a bad spot and re-engineering some of the streaming & memory concerns are probably required before any of the Octave and Reverse stuff happens.

However, there are items hanging out there which were implied or even directly stated in marketing and videos: MIDI, Expression Pedal, File Transfer with a PC. People coming along now may not realize that when we first received Aeros, it didn’t even have the ability to use the SD card. It still can’t load a song via a MIDI PC command. You could look at the unit back then and reasonably assume all of this existed. Octave and Reverse and Autofade/Feedback … none of that was implied as far as I recall, they are just features that are common in other loopers and should eventually be considered.

I guess my point is, not to try and say, “I want this thing before that thing”, I feel like they need to continue working out some of the technical debt they’ve amassed before adding features they never promised to begin with. Like Locked tracks … I think it’s a great feature … but at what cost to kick other technical debt down further?

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more. Rereading my post even sounds like a little more emphatic than I had intended. I do feel for the SS staff who I believe are doing an amazing job maintaining grace in the midst of passionate loopers wanting this to the best best device it can be, so I think some credit is due there.
One of the reasons I decided to jump into the Aeros is because of the active community and active replies by SS staff. I really haven’t seen that too often.

That being said, I do also feel for all of you who have waited it out and perhaps feel like it’s been a minute too long for certain things to arrive. To have ports on a device that do nothing after a year is a bit strange. Then again, the OP-1 still does not use the push click of the 4 potentiometers, which I find hilarious.

It’s my first day with the Aeros, so I am feeling the honeymoon right now, but I can tell you that for me, it will cause me to produce more ideas and iterate over them more rapidly. It’s truly a dream device for what I will be using it for.

2 Likes

I would be much less salty if I were starting with it today, that’s for sure. I’d also have been able to research it more and know what’s still missing so it wouldn’t come as an unpleasant surprise. Really, I am enjoying this device now and look forward to them delivering on some of these technical debts next.

2 Likes

Prefer double time , delay , reverse

3 Likes

I definitely respect the work that has gone into making this pedal what it is to date. It is clearly the first ever daw in a pedal and that’s not a small achievement by any means. It’s impressive. Bravo!

That said, for the record, playback speed and reverse were advertised as upcoming features “in the production timeline” when I purchased my Aeros over a year ago. So they were promised features. And now, after a lengthy wait, we are simply asking for an approximate timeline for when we can expect these promised features to be realized. Doesn’t seem that Singular sound want to answer that question though.

2 Likes

After failing repeatedly to meet promised delivery dates, Singular Sound learned that it’s best not to set expectations that they might not be able to meet.

2 Likes

Hello just to reopen this. As a looper player for many years and also my friends, as well as many other musicians that I admire that focus on looping, we do this because of the quality that happens when you slow down and speed up loopers. Take the line 6 green pedal that’s one of the things that made it popular and why so many pedals took its features. Instant speed manipulation and reverse.

This is why most people loop. This is what the majority of loopers have. To have a lack of functionality that is integral to loopers is pretty bizarre. It’s literally why most people use looper pedals as well as reverse which is now incorporated.

I’m very curious why did you guys choose not to do the most obvious function ? I’m just curious if there was a reason. The Aeros looper is such a great concept with all the tracks and also all the cool timing that you can do with each track playing off of each other, but having the slow downs in the speed ups, would take this to another level. There would be nothing like it. I’m not meaning to sound like a dick. It’s just more of a curiosity why these major functions were left out. Maybe a programming thing?

We’re sorry you feel it was the obvious function, but it is not currently available on the Aeros

It was considered something we may do later if possible

Thanks for your feedback

Hey there nothing to be sorry about I was just curious. Thanks for the write!