Please be honest - will Beatbuddy Manager ever get updated?

I’m curious to know the reasons why? With so many of us screaming over the software it sounds like this could of been a solid option. I’ve seen you mention your software before and I was pretty excited to hear of it but devastated to see it’s not a consideration for them.

I think they didn’t understand really just how much I was offering and how close to finished it actually was…

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a shame.

1 Like

Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in about the last few messages shared on the thread. We did in fact get a proposal and were walked through a pitch for the BBM2, an idea we were definitely open to at the time. Though, after having the meeting and discussing with our developers, we were advised against going this route. Our vision for the BBM2 was to make something that looked cleaner, felt more modern, and also delivered the same core features as BBM1 with the added benefits of better drumset creation, asset management, and of course Autopilot. We did not feel that the pitch met those expectations, and we were also warned by our team that although “80% of the project was done” it really was the last 20% that could take 80% of the time and work.

So, we made the decision we thought made the most sense for the future of the product and to bring the BeatBuddy to that next level.

This decision in no way meant we would not make the BBM2 at all, just the pitch was not what we were envisioning. Work continues on BBM2 whether you all believe it or not :wink:

1 Like

I can create a new drumset with the instruments chosen from 3 or 4 different sets, easily. Say, the drums from the Brushes set, and the Bass instruments from another set, and the Organ from yet another set, and misc from a fourth set, and save it, and use it, in less than 5 minutes.

Also, I can bulk change something like the “non-percussion” setting of all 30ish bass instruments in one action. That takes forever in the current software.

Better drumset creation? Doesn’t get better than that.

As for autopilot, it’s only missing the coding of the pedal’s player. The bbm already does it, and of course the new one does too.

Asset management includes multi project management, in the same screens.

I hope what you guys are working on is good! Not sure how many actually believe we’ll ever see anything, after literal YEARS of waiting.

2 Likes

My feeling is that perfection is, if not impossible to achieve, quite close to it.
Personally I would rather see 6 beta versions than to see nothing at all for 7 years.
Not to mention the feedback that a beta test version would generate. From all I have read, I think this community would embrace the chance to be involved in that part. Who better to evaluate a work in progress than dedicated users on multiple platforms?

3 Likes

Completely agree. @DavidPackouz said we would see incremental releases, but we’ve seen nothing.

4 Likes

All I’m askin for is when you click edit it allows an external editor. And When save in that editor all is good in bbm world.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest here and say that the promises of upgrades coupled with the time span of 7 years since the last BBM upgrade has me hesitant to buy the bb, mm, and aeros.
I’ve been there, done that, and got burned by updates that required a major hardware purchase upgrade so Im good with sidelining for a bit since I’m not actively performing RN and can get by if I do.
Still. Its not easy to wait.

1 Like

I think at this point you buy the product because it adds value to your situation as is. I find the BB a great tool for gigging. You’ll end up making workarounds to get where you want. I used to be frustrated by the lack of attention…at this point I find it somewhat amusing.

With that said, I wish you the best and I hope you get something that lets you make music and have fun.

2 Likes

Yes you can “make due” and still enjoy it.
But I expect a little more for my money…
I don’t use my Beat Buddy any more. Too much work.
I want to make music, not program a drum machine with old technology.
Just sayin’

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with the sentiment at all. It just is what it is. I am curious what you ended up using?

After (and still) using BB live for the past 7 or 8 years it does, as has been pointed out, just what it was designed to do still. However for an upcoming summer concert set list of 20 songs 6 are backed by a .wav file rendered from REAPER with my plugin sounds for bass (Ample Sound) and keys (EZKeys) and a free organ plugin on some. The remaining 14 are BB typically using Phil Flood kits.

Since some songs are ‘canned’ OP structure with only a few open ended for soloing in the set placing a transmogrify button on the iPad song display of choice gives me something BB can’t and never will. Sound good on non-percussive parts. As Phil Flood pointed out to me BB will never be a hardware synth so lacking ADSR envelope it is not capable of high quality non-percussive sounds. Not every ‘with bass’ song is rendered as a .wav many are still BB. It depends on what I hear between the two - such as keys articulation. Having .wav files ready at hand recorded direct from BB output as well gives a me backup in case BB fails during a performance as well.

1 Like

I use audio backing tracks from Karaoke.com
I know that might sound odd but they let me split the tracks and I can mix to taste.
And the quality is good.

1 Like

the hardware is basically obsolete anyway (100mb limit, anyone?)… we could make a complete software solution that wouldn’t have all that nonsense, and be amazingly flexible. All the code for compatibility is open source anyway–the player code, the file formats, everything.

4 Likes

Agreed. The future is here.

“Could” or “Will” are not much to count on.
And if it is so flexible and available, how come no one has done it commercially?

Any news here…?

1 Like

I’m concerned any update will mess with the joy I have with BBM. Sure, I have to use a DAW as well if you want to be clever but that’s not a problem. BBM could be better but it’s proved pretty solid for me, baring in mind I use a portable drive just for the BeatBuddy so BBM doesn’t do it’s Inception thing to my PC.

You should go ahead and get it (especially on sale now) . . . just learn how to use a DAW (I chose Ableton because it was free with my audio interface). It gives you a lot more capability.