Portishead Drum Beats

wow those new volumes are great thanx so much because that open closed hi hat sound is such a obvious cool edition and I really needed it yay

I’m glad that worked. It’s odd, though. When I’m building a kit, I can set volume levels for each instrument, which are wav files, but, out in a song, when I put the accent in, there is no volume control. I added that as a feature request based on our conversations.

Yeh wouldnt that be a great editon to have the ability to control volume of an instrument form kit within the song even if its just the fill.
ps that quieter open close hi hat is perfect

p.s Phil was wondering if you could do the same for the handclaps volume ,would you be kind enough to make a couple of quieter handclap wavs for me.Also Im after a percussive intstrument I know what it is but dont know the name of it.Its the thing you run your hand through like really light chimes kind of a shimmering sound usually in an orchestra ,its kind of a cliche “something magical has just been revealed sound” Ive tried googling it but no success

Your looking for wind chimes. I actually have a set here. My son was a percussionist for a bit. I have a good sample from a Mick Fleetwood disc that I can post in a few minutes. Its in my Hammond with Organ kit. I’ll get to those other samples in a bit, as well.

This is what I get at the top of Switch:

[ATTACH=full]5869[/ATTACH]

Then in Preferences, it’s this:

[ATTACH=full]5870[/ATTACH]

And, in conversions, it’s this:

[ATTACH=full]5871[/ATTACH]

That normalize %age is the key to making good usable samples, because it is the best way to get consistency in a kit, and, as we’ve seen, its a great way to adjust the level of the accent hit sample. This can be done in other DAWs like Logic, Ableton, Cubase, ProTools, etc. But, its pretty easy in Switch, and even at the full activation price of, I think, $20, its a good option.

Anyhow something to think about, and, if my screens are different from yours, then we know its the full activation issue.

The wind chime and hand clap samples are in my Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nj77ukkmtptsz6l/AAAOJ7CuyOHpLNKYqbdaa7Cfa?dl=0

This is what i see Phil[ATTACH=full]5877[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5878[/ATTACH]

So Phil say i want to make the chimes the intro ,but the intro is a midi file what do I do because ,and forgive me for my lack of knowledge but it seems wav cant be converted to midi.Is there a simple way i can get around this ?

I paid for the activated version ,it has the same screen as the one I posted ,Im thinking maybe my version just calls it options instead of preferences(might be later version or something)it still contains same functions

OK, this is gonna sound a little weird, but Beat Buddy uses midi to trigger wav files. Every drumkit is made up of a collection of wav files that are then assigned to a particular midi note. So, to trigger the wind chime wav in an intro, first you have to add the wav to a drum kit. The ambient kit I made has plenty of open slots, for example. Double click on the Ambient Kit in Beat Buddy Manager to prepare it for editing. Then go to Drumsets>Add Instrument. An empty instrument will appear at midi 0 since that location is not being used. You can use that location, or when you click on the blank instrument, you can select a new midi location. After you have the instrument named and the location picked, that instrument editor screen will close. Then on the instrument there is a browse button. Click on that and navigate to the windchime wav. The windchime wav is then added to the kit. Then go to Drumset>Save Drumset to keep your change to the kit.

Now you need to go to the midi file for the intro, or you need to make a midi file for the intro. Do you have something that can edit midi? If so, start it up, make a new file. Go to the midi editor, and add a note at the location that corresponds to where you put the windchime. Save the file. Go to BBM. Click on the intro slot for the song you are editing, and navigate to the midi file you just created. Click on Open. The file is then added to your song. Make sure the kit for the song is the kit that we edited in the first paragraph. If all went well, you should now be able to play the intro file in BBM and hear the chime.

Is that the electric Jazz trio kit?

You could add the chimes to any kit that you want. In the Electric JAzz Trio kit, there are open locations at midi 32 and 33 where you could add the wind chimes.

Thanx Phil I thought I had it but this came up on screen I know Im close.I have the midieditor by the way.I getting this however.I think Im unclear on how to assign the note/instrument to the midi editor

Don’t mean to jump in the middle of this as you two seem to have it on a good glide path but which version of the BBM are you using?

Hey I did it I think it was a fluke but I did it thanx to your patience.I realised I ad to go to the midi editor on the beat buddy to assign the chimes .You explain things in a really good way I hope you put that up on the forum cheers

Im using 1.6.5.0 with the 1.85 firmware

The error message was reminiscent of BBM 1.5.0.1 (until I looked at your screen shot closely).

Now Im getting this,as you can see the midi chimes are in the intro but went to play again and this came up.Can I copy and past into another song .Im thinking the drum kit has to be the same though right?

You can paste into another song and it should use the same drum kit. If you continue to have problems, could you export and zip the song and upload it here so that we can trouble shoot it?
Phil F, I’ll be happy to back out if I’m intruding on what you’ve started.

Persist - feel free to jump in on any BBM issues.
Anthony - I’m not sure the midi file is doing what i needs to. You need a note in the midi file to trigger the chimes in the drum kit. Something at A2 or G#2, depending upon where you put the chimes in the kit. Then the accent hit, is just the Wav file, not the midi file. As persists suggests, sometimes its best to just make a zip of the midi and sng files, and upload them so we can take a look.